“Family Friendly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Suites Mission Valley

You added Comfort Suites Mission Valley to your Saves list
Comfort Suites Mission Valley
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   631 Camino Del Rio South, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #167 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Sauk Village, Illinois
“Family Friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

My immediate family and I traveled to San Diego, for a family vacation, from June 16, 2012 through June 20, 2012. We are a family of four. Let me clear it up that my sons are 19 and 24 years old. The price for having two totally separate rooms would have put us a tad bit over budget, so it was imperative to find accommodations which would be comfortable for four adults. After an extensive search of available hotel properties, for our dates of travel, we settled on this location for Comfort Suites. Our decison was based on quality, location, price, availability and room size.

First let me state that this location is very very convenient with access to I-8, I-5 and 163. The hotel sits adjacent to I-8. It is very close to the major San Diego attractions. Within minutes we were able to get to the San Diego Zoo, the San Diego Bay, Seaworld area and Old Town. Also in very close proximity are plenty of eateries and shopping. Just down the street are restaurants. Down the street on the opposite side of I-8 are more restaurants and shopping. The location of this Comfort Suites lacked for nothing.

The front desk staff and housekeeping were friendly and accommodating. The hotel was clean. In my opinion the style of this hotel is both like motel and hotel. Some of the rooms are accessed from an interior corridor. Some of the central rooms are accessed from an exterior like catwalk, which overlook the exterior pool. The exterior accessed rooms are only accessible once you have actually entered the hotel. You do not have to worry about outsiders just walking up to your door as with motels. It is a safe hotel. Our room was number 319 and it was accessed from the central exterior.

Our room was a suite with 2 rooms. Room 319 has 1 room with a king bed, televison, desk and fridge + 1 room with bunk beds, television, small table and armoire. There was 1 large bathroom. As 4 adults we were basically comfortable in the room. I feel this room would be absolutely perfect for a family with small children. I cannot speak on the free breakfast, because my family and I did not partake of any of it.

There are only a few things I would change about this room. We are a family with businesses, so it is imperative to have proper work space while we are traveling on the go. When I needed to work at the desk, in the late evening, it bothered me there was no light/lamp on the desk. I literally strained my eyes a bit trying to get my work done with the lighting that was available on the opposite wall. I also needed a mirror in the main room for getting dressed and prepared for the day. The only mirrors in the suite are both located in the bathroom. Four people trying to get ready with mirrors only in one location was a tad bit taxing. The last thing I would change about the room are the filters or something in the air conditioning unit. Everytime the air blowers kicked in it blew a very odd odor into the room. We had to purchase air freshener to try and eliminate the odor.

Now let me address the parking. I do not remember seeing on the hotel site there was a parking fee before I booked. I am a travel agent and I generally read about the amenities and fees. How did this information get by me??? Or did it?? Okay my husband handed me the final bill once it was all said and done. To my complete surprise we were charged $8.00 per day for parking. Wow $32.00 for literally just occupying a parking space during the night only, because we were gone all day enjoying the sites and other things to do.

Please note that after checking out and seeing my final bill I did revisit the ChoiceHotels website. Nowhere on the site is there mention of the parking fee. It reads "Outdoor Parking*". Okay there is no explanation of what the astract means on their site. It is not fair to the customer to charge an unexpected fee. I did not know we were being charged this fee til after the fact. Had I known there was a daily parking fee I might have chosen a different hotel.

Overall I give the Comfort Suites Mission Valley location a thumbs up. The few things which need addressing are not enough to deter people from staying at this hotel. I want travelers to know upfront what they can expect at this location. As a travel agent I am disclosing some hidden facts.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
madison area wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

We stayed for the week to spend time w/family. The room was clean and the service was good. We were not bothered by the housekeeping staff. Sometimes it was later in the day before we left the hotel. The evening desk attendant was most pleasant and smiling, making you feel very welcome. We actually were farther away from most of the activities that week, that we were involved in. We chose this chain because my husband travels a lot and has found Comfort Suites to be usually a consistant + decent place to stay in the midwest.. We were not crazy about the extra fee for parking but there also were no other alternatives and we noticed that many of the hotels in San Diego also charged xtra.

Room Tip: We were on 2nd floor. Quiet. We enjoyed having the two tv's and the separate sitting room as I u...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

We booked the hotel through hotwire (and too were disappointed about the parking fee, but it's not the hotel's fault...). After reading the reviews we weren't sure if we should keep this reservation but we decided to go for it - and I'm so glad we did!
* The location is excellent, it's a 15 minute ride to the zoo and to seaworld, less than that to get to old town
* Room was quiet, spacious, comfortable beds, our kids loved the bunk bed
* Room amenities - fridge and microwave in the room proved to be very helpful
* Staff was kind and helpful. They helped us get a taxi and were very responsive to our requests
* Breakfast was exactly what I had expected: same as, if not better than, other breakfasts in hotels of that level.

I'm giving it 4 only because it's not a five star resort with super big pool area and luxurious breakfast. If I had to rate based on the price I paid i would definitely give it a 5 - and by the way, the price i got at hotwire wasn't significantly low than the official rate.

I highly recommend, especially if you don't have a car or don't want to spend too much time driving to the attractions around.

Room Tip: Our kids loved the bunk bed we had in our room
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Mission Valley, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
We are so glad you decided to stay with us and were able to discover our clean property, friendly staff, and convenient location. As you observed, we are family-friendly and have amenities children love such as their own part of the room with bunk beds. Parents like the in-room refrigerator and microwave to make snacks for the kids, not to mention their own private part of the suite. Our staff always strives to make each guest feel like this is their “home away from home”.
We hope you were able to see each of the nearby San Diego attractions that are just minutes away from our hotel. We hope you are able to come back and visit us again. My staff and I appreciate your nice comments! Sincerely – Elizabeth Ming, Manager - Comfort Suites Mission Valley.
Rosarito, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

The location is good, tucked in a quiet area southeast of the 8 and 163 freeways. I asked for two queens instead of the king suite reserved through Hotwire, and for some reason we were given a handicapped room, which was actually a bit cramped (you might expect it to be more spacious) - the furniture was too big for the width of the room (I don't think a wheelchair could pass between the beds and TV console and closet) and we didn't have a bathtub, which was disappointing with a small child. It was late enough we didn't bother to ask to switch. I was disappointed that they charged $8 for parking in an open lot in a non-downtown location. I booked on Hotwire and have written to them suggesting they mention "fee for parking" since more hotels that never charged before are starting to charge for parking. The jacuzzi was nice and the whole pool area is quite attractive, full of foliage in an interior courtyard surrounded by the rooms. Unfortunately my husband and I were eaten alive by mosquitoes at the jacuzzi (around 9:30PM at night) - management should look into spraying, perhaps after the pool closes. The breakfast area is very large and there is an attractive patio with tables to sit outside (same area as the pool mentioned above.) The selection was pretty good and included waffles and eggs with ham in addition to the usual toast, fruit, yogurt, etc.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Overall, it appears you enjoyed your recent stay with us aside from you not receiving the room you requested. Even though we make every attempt to provide guests with their requested room types, on occasion we are not able to in every case due to guests unexpectedly staying over or leaving later than expected. Most hotels in this area have a parking charge however we offer extremely competitive rates and outstanding amenities at our property that more than make up for the parking fee. We are sorry you were bothered by mosquitos after dark by the pool. We do have a weekly service that sprays for this, but mosquitos do come out after dark, especially after an April rain shower. Our breakfast choices change daily, so we are happy you were able to enjoy a nice selection of our high quality items. We look forward to you staying with us again and will make every effort to have your requested room type available for you. Sincerely – Elizabeth Ming, Manager - Comfort Suites Mission Valley.
Downey, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I recently stayed here with my husband and 2 year old son. the room was roomy and very clean. There are so many restaurants around there that we didnt have to travel far for dinner. the pool is clean and wasnt crowded at all. we will be going back again!

Room Tip: Our room was 366 away from everything and quiet. the other room out look the pool if you choose to h...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Mission Valley, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us at the property. We offer a variety of different types of suites ideal for every family. Our housekeeping staff takes pride in the details of our rooms to make sure that they are very clean and ready for our guests. I am pleased that you had the opportunity to enjoy our spacious pool and our beautiful courtyard. As you mentioned, we are within walking distance to a number of family restaurants, such as TGI Fridays, Benihana, King's Fish House and many others. Feel free to share your experience with your friends and family. We look forward to welcoming you back to San Diego!

Best regards,

Elizabeth Ming, General Manager
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

The best part of this hotel are the comfy beds. Aside from that the lace is terrible and if you have any other options do not stay here. Absolutely shocking - i made a phone call from the room as soon as i checked in, at 7 pm. At 12:30 am i got a call in my room from guest services demanding my credit card number over the phone. When i reminded how late it was the receptionist apologized but still demanded the number and that it could not wait. I explained i was on medication and that this was apalling and she proceded to say she was coming to the room to collect the card and the 38 dollars. She then hang up on me!I then had to wait up for over an hour for her to turn up. She never did. Seriously, for 38 bucks how can you jeopardize the guest experience.

I hurt my back and im here to see a doctor which is the reason why im staying here. Front desk is aware of this and I have a wheel chair. I was put in a disabled room and there is no way you can even move a wheel chair in there.

So if you,re into rude service, screaming kids at the pool, no room service and being treated like dirt then you,ll love this place. Don,t forget, they have some real comfy beds!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
I can imagine it is no fun at all having to travel with a painful back condition. We are sorry you were not completely satisfied during your recent stay with us. We normally verify credit cards upon check-in, and while I cannot find why this was not done in your case, the night agent must have found that your card declined. I agree with you it was late and this could have been addressed the next day since you were staying multiple nights. Like the majority of hotels in the area, we do not offer room service in order to keep our rates low for vacation and business travelers. Even so, we did attempt to have staff available when we could, considering the back problems you are experiencing. I hope you make a quick recovery and are able to return to us when you are feeling better in order to enjoy more of the nice features of our property other than our comfortable beds. Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments to us. Sincerely – Elizabeth Ming, Manager - Comfort Suites Mission Valley.
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We chose this location because we had stayed here in the past with family and it is close to other family that live there locally. It seems to be going downhill.

Good location, close to the mall and other necessities, and yes - affordable. BUT

-Rooms are small
-noisy
-maids knock on your doors between 8:30-9:30 to do your rooms
-"free"breakfast is low budget and of poor quality
-daily parking fee of $8
-"free" wifi is bottom of the barrel - very slow
-the wear and tear is truly showing on this place and aside from the "new" flat screen LG tvs..that's the most modern touch to the place.

We were there on business/leisure. We reserved a king suite. Upon checking in we were given keys to a room..went to the room to get in and it was answered by people already occupying the room!
The gal up front had written down the wrong room #. Then we found out it was the room next door (right next to the 1st floor exit doors and pool? No thanks.) Another associate resolved the matter for us and put us in a different room. Better location, but the carpet had a huge kool-aid looking red stain on the green carpet right as you walked in the door.
Had reserved the room on our business card no problem. at 11pm (yes 11 PM) we get a call from the gentleman working the front desk - demanding other form of payment because our card was declined. Not knowing what the problem was, I assured we would be down to solve the matter. He insisted I give him new card information over the phone? (excuse me?) He was very rude and accusatory over the phone and we totally felt disrespected.
My husband went down and gave him another card to use while we sorted out what the deal was on the business account the very next day...and carry on!
This was definitely our last stay at this place. It was just not a pleasant stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Mission Valley, responded to this review, April 28, 2012
Thank you for your comments about your stay. I read your review and I am sorry your stay with us was not what you expected. Our staff is trained to pay attention to details, but we obviously fell short in some areas during your stay. Please be assured we established further controls to address your areas of concern. Most guests compliment us on the quality and variety of the breakfast choices, I am sorry you experienced one of our busy mornings.
As you pointed out, during our recent remodel, we not only replaced all the televisions in the property with flat screens, we also have new mattresses, carpeting, wall coverings, and more upgrades are to come.
My staff and I value all our customers and want to exceed their expectations. I hope to have the opportunity to one day serve you again! Elizabeth Ming, General Manager – Comfort Suites Mission Valley.

Been to Comfort Suites Mission Valley? Share your experiences!