“Nice hotel for visiting San Diego” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town

You added Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1955 San Diego Avenue, San Diego, CA 92110 (Formerly Comfort Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #56 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
USA
“Nice hotel for visiting San Diego”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We visited San Diego as part of a California long weekend trip. Chose the Old town holiday inn express because they offered airport transportation and transportation to the Zoo and other nearby sites. This saved having to rent a car for a few days.

The hotel was very nice. Our room faced away from the interstate and was very quiet. We enjoyed the pool and hot tub. The staff was very good. The van drivers were very good. and thorough

The only downside to the hotel is restaurants are not real close but the hotel will provide transportation if needed. We would stay again

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor facing the street not the interstate. it was very quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
We think your review is pretty wonderful as well! We are so happy that you had a great time staying with us. We are glad that our shuttle services were convenient and that we were able to accommodate all your needs. Thank you again for your kind words and we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express. We look forward to welcoming you back again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I must say that I was impressed with this hotel. We arrived 2 1/2 hours before check in time from a 10 hour flight. Although we were early they gave us our room and knew that we were tired. The staff made every accomodation to make our stay pleasant and enjoyable. The room was nice and the hotel was close to the airport which for me was great since I have a early flight in the morning. If I ever fly back in to San Diego I will definately stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us, and sharing your feedback! We are so pleased to hear that you and your guests enjoyed your stay with us! We are happy to hear that our staff provided great service and that our location was convenient for your say.
Essex Fells, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

The hotel is very close to the Marine Corps Recruit Depot (MCRD.) This will save you time when attending family day and boot camp graduation if you are coming for that. The hotel offers a free shuttle to and from the Depot as well as to the adjacent Old Town area. Extremely courteous and helpful staff, they will give you restaurant recommendations in Old Town as well as coupons for free appetizers. Note that Old Town is a tourist area and the restaurants while OK, are not the best. The hotel features an ample breakfast from 6 a.m. until 10 a.m. Eggs, breakfast meats, pancakes, yogurt--all you can think of served in a clean and well appointed room. The guest rooms are Holiday Inn standard, decent size with comfortable beds, flat screen TV and stocked bathroom. There is also a refrigerator and microwave. Easy to get to all points in San Diego from the hotel as it is adjacent to I-5--but the noise from the freeway can be bothersome to some. Ask for a room on the San Diego Avenue side of the facility. Free parking and a well stocked food shop also make this a convenient hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the San Diego Avenue side of the hotel. The I-5 side is noisy from the freeway tra...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for staying with us, and sharing your feedback! Here at the Holiday Inn Express we appreciate your comments as this helps us be responsive and make sure we are delivering the best experience possible for our guests. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that the staff provided great service. We hope to welcome you back again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have stayed in top of the line hotels and I have to say this was on par with the best of them. The staff could not have been nicer or more accommodating, Yes, the hotel is on the freeway but interestingly enough, I did not find it noisy. Nor could I hear anything in the hallways and we were right across from the breakfast room. The rooms were clean and the beds were super comfortable. The refrigerator and microwave were very convenient for our 5 night stay with 2 young children.

The breakfast was perfect to start our day with enough variety so we did not get bored. The best part of the hotel was the free shuttle that will take you within a 5 mile radius. That is pretty much everything in San Diego. We rented a car and never used it. They took us into Old Town for dinner and when we called for pick up, they were there before we paid the bill and walked out. The shuttle will take you to Balboa Park, the zoo, the airport, etc...

The pool was clean and there is also a hot tub. The laundry facilities were very convenient. We were traveling for 2 weeks so it was nice to wash some clothes. This was also right across from our room. Did I mention the free wireless Internet, the convenience store and the free coffee and apples in the lobby. They also have free parking which most San Diego hotels do not.

Holiday Inn Express is my new "go to" hotel. I know what I'm going to get and I like it. This place is a great value.

Room Tip: Our room was on the same level as the entrance. We were across from the breakfast room which was co...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comprehensive review. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative about your comments. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time to write such kind words about our property. We are so glad that you and your party enjoy your stay. We are happy to hear that our amenities were accommodating during your stay. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you in the future.
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel is right next to the I-5 Freeway, you can't escape the noise. We had requested a room not facing the freeway, and when we got there, were told that prior guests had smoked in the room not facing the freeway, and that it would take hours, and maybe days, until the room would be ready. Didn't I choose a non-smoking hotel? So we got a room facing the freeway. It had "airport windows", and you could still hear the noise. We all wore earplugs at night. The hotel is not in Old Town, but it is near a seedy, industrial part of town where prostitutes hang out at night.

The room was adequate, two queen sized beds, microwave and fridge. It was clean when we got it. On the day we wanted housekeeping, we showed up at our room around 3pm, tired from a day at the zoo, and wanting to rest. To our dismay, our room had not been cleaned. Housekeeping told us that they leave at 3:30, and if we wanted our room to be cleaned, it would have to be while we were there. We have stayed at other hotels where if you opt not to have housekeeping, the staff is constantly asking you if you need anything like towels, soap, etc.

Breakfast was adequate, with some hot choices like pancakes, eggs, sausage and bacon.

This hotel is adequate, but overpriced. They should be charging $70 - $90 per night. It does have a laundry on site, which is good.

I am sure that there must be better hotel choices in Old Town, San Diego. We just missed the mark on this one.

Room Tip: Room not facing freeway
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. We are sorry about the confusion with the smoking room and we will take this matter in our hands to make sure this does not happen again. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.
Arcadia, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel moved from its previous location, but has been renovated. It is about 1 mile from Old Town, so it is very walkable to get there. They have a shuttle service that runs until 11:00 PM that will drop you at the shops and restaurants. This hotel is right off the freeway, so some of the rooms face the road. There is secure underground parking so you do not have to park on the street.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The rooms on the West Side are facing the I-5 freeway.
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Where can I start? After a wonderful stay at Peacock suites in Anaheim our expectations must have been high.. The first odd experience was with shuttle after calling In after we dropped off car the rep could not find my res and was obviously annoyed in the tone he used over phone. When we figured out it was under our hyphenated last names and my conf number was from web site we booked not hotel they were able to find it but we were already on car rental shuttle to airport to wait for hotel shuttle.when picked up 35 min after we originally called driver asked why we didn't just get picked up at rental car location... Um we were not told that was an option.. Which was a bit annoying. Happy we were on shuttle on our way to hotel to hopefully grab some sun in San Diego (was a little after 6p now) the shuttle driver got a call that another couple was at same terminal waiting for pick up so he aptly turned around with out saying a thing to us. I asked why were going diff direction and he somewhat snapped another pick up. I couldn't believe after we just told him we were happy to finally be on way to hotel he wouldn't even ask if its ok to turn completely back around to where we just were adding another 30 min to hotel arrival! After we finally arrived I did not get a warm a fuzzy feeling from front desk but we shrugged it off as this was vacation. Next day we called down at 10:15 to let them know we will need shuttle to Seaworld the reason we booked this hotel and they said they ONLY leave at 10:30!! So we hauled you know what to get from the 3rd floor to lobby to make the only departing shuttle to the heavily advertised on web site shuttle to Sea World. The shuttle driver to seaworld was much different and actually very pleasurable and reminded us of the ONLY 2 pickups of 5:30 and 7:30pm. Again disappointing as we left late to purposely catch the two special summer evening shows at Seaworld as we did not budget can fair since it seemed so online they would not pick up mid day and let you enjoy all the shows at Seaworld. So confirming with driver we were only two dropped off at Seaworld I called hotel to simply ask if there are no other guests needing pick up if driver can come at 9p when park closes.
The tude I got on phone when
I was supposedly speaking to the manager reconfirmed my thought that this hotel is not only not customer service based but obviously has some unhappy workers. We decided to speed up our day and make the 7:30 shuttle and confirmed a 5a dropoff to airport and avoid the front desk at all costs next day. When we got back To our room our air had been shut off and the room was as hot as the hallways and hotter than Outside! must be some cost savings thing but very uncomfortable for guests after long day.Unfortunately our plan didn't work. At around 4:15a when I reached into my carry on tote for cotton swabs I came face to face was a rather fast cockroach! Needing things in that bag and trying to make shuttle for our flight my husband scared the thing out of my bad but it started running on floor near our other luggage so we had to chase this thing! If you are now laughing at my review please do because it is pretty comical to be chasing a cockroach in your hotel room at 4:30am! When we calming got to desk about 5 min to 5 I asked for the manager and the Asian girl at front said she was and I informed her discreetly about our morning and the roach. Rather than apologizing she pulled out a piece of paper with 2 roaches on them and asked me to confirm which one I saw when I said I don't know maybe that one she said that's not the roach like ha we got you! By this time I was infuriated and mentioned to her I used to be a manger of a holiday inn and this is not how you react to a guest that as been this ordeal. She rolled her eyes and I asked what is your resolution? She said well best I can do is 20% off.. I took the slap in the face and border my shuttle with other guests rattled about how they were treated as well and on their honeymoon no less:( I will be calling to speak with GM but my guess is that he really doesn't care.

• Stayed August 2013
Lauren S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. We are extremely sorry that you and your guest did not enjoy your stay here at our hotel. We are sorry that our staff did not provide you with the best service. We are going to take these matters into our hands.

We would like to apologize about the insect you found in your room, we take room cleanliness seriously and we are going to address this issue. I want to assure you the Holiday Inn Express is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and welcome you back to our hotel.

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town? Share your experiences!