“Not for light sleepers!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town

You added Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1955 San Diego Avenue, San Diego, CA 92110 (Formerly Comfort Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #53 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Langley City, Canada
“Not for light sleepers!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We just came back from a weekend stay at the HIE and the rooms were modern, well appointed & clean and the staff extremely are helpful. The breakfast in the morning was standard but there was plenty to go around. We did take advantage of the free shuttle service into Sea World which was convient. However, the hotel is located alongside the freeway and the rooms not well insulated so it sounded like traffic was going through our room all night long & the bed shook each time a large truck went by. I am an extremely light sleeper and did not manage to catch much shut eye while there & even my husband who sleeps like the dead was bothered by the noise.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on the freeway side however I did this as well and it was not honoured.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars

Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Arrived at 11:30 PM at the San Diego Airport and called the hotel for the free shuttle service. I was told that there is none after 11:00PM an I can take a taxi. I did, cost me extra 16 USD.

I don't understand how can an Airport hotel call itself Airport hotel and blatantly disreard the flight schedule of the Airport it is supposedly serve? It is an outrage and misleadng advertsing. Needless to say, I will make sure that neither me nor any of my friends will ever set our feet i this place again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank WojM
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear WMajewski,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I regret your experience with our airport shuttle service. I am sorry you received service which was unacceptable. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you again for your comments.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This hotel is definitely worth the price. The customer service is excellent, and the shuttle is very convenient. The hotel has been recently updated and is very clean, which is most important. The breakfast is also good. As others have mentioned, the area isn't the nicest, although I wouldn't say it was scary. There just isn't a lot around until you get to Old Town. The hotel is right on the freeway, but we didn't hear it from our room, which was on the other side. The complimentary parking was also a bonus. On the negative side, the wifi wasn't the fastest, but it was definitely better than nothing and was free. My biggest complaint is that you have to call to have the shuttle come pick you up at the airport. This wouldn't be a big deal except it doesn't say that's what you have to do anywhere on the website. After waiting a half hour at the airport, which is the last thing you want to do after traveling for 6 hours, we called and the shuttle came. It would have been nice to know that before though. Despite this, our overall experience was good and we would definitely come back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jennifer1347
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

The location of this place would be perfect if you need to be nearby the airport but the neighborhood itself doesn't look very safe. I didn't see any walkable restaurant near the hotel and I suggest for you not to walk looking for one, so with that said, drive a mile or 2 away and you'll see better neighborhoods with good variety of restaurants. I guess that's what they mean by "old town". Also, the hotel is near the busy streets so if you can request your room to be away from the street I think you'll be fine avoiding the street noise . The hotel and the room is very modernized and clean. The staff are very professional and friendly. Overall, it's an ok hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Yen90033
Douglas, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

A walk or 2 mins free bus to the old town and 5 minutes by the free bus to the airport & the San Diego tour bus goes by on a regular basis.

It has a nice quiet pool and Jacuzzi, the rooms were very modern and clean, and reception were very helpful.

Fridge and Microwave in Room, with good internet

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beachboy190928
Richardson, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Let me start by saying the staff was professional, friendly, and helped me with my requests - they did a great job.

However, the only thing this hotel has going for it is that its close to the airport. It's an old hotel that had a face-lift, its really close to the highway so the rooms on the highway side are noisy, and its in a "marginal" neighborhood. The a/c in my first room didn't work and the staff professionally handled by request for a new room rather than sending up a maintenance guy. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. However, I didn't feel comfortable in the area so I just stayed in my room instead of looking around a bit.

If you've got an early morning flight and want a place close to the airport this will work. However, if you're looking for more than that you probably should go elsewhere....

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the highway side of the hotel - noisy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I have been staying at one particular hotel for the past 30 years in San Diego old town. I decided to try something new and stayed here. All I can say was the customer service went over and beyond expectations. The room was clean, very clean. The only downside was that I could not stay longer, but I definitely will be with my family again.

• Stayed September 2012