“Park on the street and save $9.95/night” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area

You added Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area to your Saves list
Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2485 Hotel Circle Place, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #161 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
“Park on the street and save $9.95/night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I'd give this hotel 3.5 stars if I could. It seems better than an average 3, but I hesitate to call it "very good".

The room was large and included a refrigerator. The room was sparkling clean -- no issues whatsoever.

Others have said the rooms have been recently remodeled -- they must have missed mine (room 222). The sink had a granite countertop, but nothing else about the room indicated to me that it had been remodeled recently. The beds were clearly in need of replacement.

Lighting is one of my pet peeves -- plenty of good light throughout the room, including above the sink, but the separate toilet/shower room was poorly lit and when you turn on that light the noisy fan kicks in. Plenty of hot water with good water pressure in the shower.

Internet was a problem. My PC could see the hotel's connection, but it was very weak and my PC would not connect. I didn't complain about this to the front desk because fortunately I have an ATT card and that link was excellent. My t-mobile phone worked well from the room too.

Others have left mixed reviews on the free breakfast -- there was a crowd, but the serving area is spread out over a wide area in two adjoining rooms and there are a reasonable number of tables. I had to wait for a person or two, but I don't see that as an issue. The servers were really friendly and helped guide the guests to whatever they wanted. It's the first time I recall seeing 3 waffle-makers. Scrambled eggs were freshly made and quite good. Juice was decent, not watered down too much like many other hotels with free breakfast. The complaint about the green bananas, though, was spot on. I took one on Tuesday morning and it wasn't edible until Friday!

My biggest complaint is the $10 they charge for parking. This wasn't clearly indicated on the hotel's website, at least not where I noticed it, nor did the front desk agent tell me about it when I checked in -- she only asked me if I had a car. I was suspicious about the way she asked me, so I asked about a fee. There is a sign, but it was turned the other way when I checked in. Anyway, I parked on the street, though I suppose if both of the hotels on that street were packed then maybe there wouldn't be spaces on the street. I have stayed on Hotel Circle before and (contrary to the some other reviews) I've never been charged for parking before.

Room Tip: park on the street to avoid the $9.95 daily parking fee
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Marlborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

very spacious room and comfortable beds. Breakfast was a bit of a bun fight even out of their recommended busy times. If you want to eat in the evening it means dialling room service and they deliver from an outside restaurant. good price via expedia.com. Disappointing to have to pay for parking.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Calexico, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed here for two nights on a mini vacation with wife and two small kid. Staff was very helpful with anything we needed, crib; extra towels even helped me out on getting my money back when it got stuck in vending machine. Now for the important stuff.. Beds are oh so good; bathroom is large and very clean and great shower head. And free breakfast, what more can you ask for?/ This is a great hotel, would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Top floors always good.
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Staff was friendly and accommodating. (2-night stay) Room for 3-adults (2-queen size beds) and 2-kids (pull out sofa). Liked the fact that pull out sofa was located in seperate area with its own tv and a sliding door to close area off. Pull out sofa bed was bad. Very cheap and dirty plastic like cover. Mattress was thin, lumpy, and very bad. Two small boys rolled to center. Corners springs were broken and one had a tendency to fall through.
Bathroom door made access to (comode and shower only) hard to navigate. Did not like only sink located in room directly in front of first queen bed. This created a privacy matter when brushing teeth or washing up.
First night room had towels etc. 2nd night , no wash cloths or hand towels, just bath. Bath towels small and cheap. Pull out bed had not been touched by maid at all. No toiletries provided. Room very crowded with furniture.
Breakfast room on 4th floor carved out of maybe two previous suites? Hard to tell but traffic flow really dismal. Tables wobbled and people traffic caused spills and bumping. Food was typical breakfast items.
Did not like parking charge however all the hotels in area charge... shuttle to Zoo etc was easy and accessable.
Would definetly pick different hotel on next tripto San Diego area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
socialmediacoord, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. We are glad you found our staff friendly and accommodating, but were disappointed to hear of the issues you had during your two night stay. We apologize for the issues you encountered regarding the room as this does not reflect the high standards we strive to achieve with all our guests. If you would please call me at 619-881-6200 at your earliest convenience to discuss your stay further, I hope you will allow us the opportunity to earn back you patronage.

Stephanie Downs, General Manager
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

OK, read the other reviews. They are generally accurate, so no need to repeat here. But, you weren't expecting the Ritz-Carlton, were you? The hotel is dated, every room is packed, and service is average, but the Comfort Inn is still a good value. I'll expand on a few items:

The rooms are huge. The bathroom is also huge and is among the cleanest I have experienced! The room has a FREE refrigerator, not a stocked mini-bar. The Sea World shuttle would have been nice if it wasn't completely booked in advance. So, plan ahead. Park on the street and avoid the $10 nightly parking fee! Don't stay here if you plan to spend a lot of time in the room. Go explore San Diego!

Room Tip: Spend as little time as possible in your room!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo/SeaWorld. We are glad to hear you were happy with our clean and spacious rooms and bathroom. It is with feedback such as yours, that allows us to examine and continue to improve service to our guests. We hope to welcome you back during your next trip to San Diego.

Stephanie Downs, General Manager 619-881-6200
Stoke - On - Trent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights, as it says in the title close to SeaWorld and the Zoo, don't drive? The hotel provides a FREE shuttle to anywhere you want to go (utterly brilliant).

The room was great and large for the price, included breakfast which was more of a continental approach but great for an included price. Free Wifi, but had to pay for parking : (. The steakhouse next door is brilliant for evening meal. The hotels is conveniently located for San Diego and all tourist attractions in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Stephanie D, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you on your next trip to San Diego!
El Paso, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This hotel is in a great location for vacationing in San Diego, very close to many of the cities attractions.

Kudos to the staff; when we arrived at our room I quickly noticed the noise of a busy highway right outside our window. I immediately went back down are requested a room away from the highway and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. We moved to the new room and found the shower curtain was missing, again they sent someone up right away to install a shower curtain. They were also very responsive to a problem we had with a clogged toilet (not a problem with the toilet, my son is famous for clogging them).

The hotel has been recently renovated; tile, fixtures, paint/wall paper, and furnishings are all newer and modern. Despite this, the hotel rooms and the hallways have a musty mildew smell throughout. At first it appeared to be just a slight odor, but it quickly became unpleasant (we stayed 4 nights). Obviously the smell is resonating from the sub-floor and walls since the carpeting and paint/wall paper is newer. I realize, with such a close proximity to the ocean this must be a common issue in this area, especially in older properties, but it could have (and should have) been addressed during the renovations. And although the room looked clean to the naked eye, the smells of mildew made if feel less clean.

The linens and towels were of low quality, clean and not excessively worn, but not soft or comfortable. The mattresses were very uncomfortable; each mattress in our room had an indention in the center so the two people sleeping in each bed were rolling into each other all night.

Breakfast was nothing special, typical continental breakfast with lots of breads; waffles, toast, muffins, biscuits, bagels, cereal, juice and coffee. They did have some sausage patties but they hardly looked edible (I did not see anyone eat them), the bananas were very green (not ripe enough to eat), and they had yogurt and hardboiled eggs. We eat breakfast outside of the hotel after the first morning.

And of course there’s the parking. The hotel charges $9 per night for parking, which I was aware of, but it still sucks. My understanding is that many hotels in this area charge for parking, and I know it’s common in big city downtown hotels where parking is extremely limited (New York , Boston, Chicago etc…), but this area does not seem to have the parking problems of those big city downtown areas. Parking should be complementary.

Although the staff was friendly and accommodating, and the property is okay if you’re on a tight budget and can get a good price. I will defiantly spend a little more for a nicer place that offers complementary parking next time I’m traveling in the San Diego area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for recognizing our friendly and accommodating staff. We strive to provide our guests with the best possible service and we are happy to hear we were able to provide that level of service during your stay. I am sorry to hear the issues you experience, please rest assured the staff of each department has reviewed your comments and have taken actions to correct those issues. We truly appreciate your feedback and hope we are able to have another opportunity to exceed your expectations during your next stay in San Diego.

Stephanie Downs, General Manager 619-881-6200

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area? Share your experiences!