“Great stay, yet room for improvement” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Save 15% Off Lowest Rates
Ranked #28 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Great stay, yet room for improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

The restaurant was good for breakfast as well as dinner. Really cosy sitting outside after dinner with the torches lit and enjoying cocktails. Servers were alert and pleasant. Nice pool area.There is a waterfall in the reception. It makes so much noise that it was difficult to talk with the receptionists. We had two rooms, one on the first floor and one on the ground floor in the building behind the reception. The room on the ground floor had a damp smell.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

The Catamaran has always been the closest thing to Hawaii and Polynesia to be found on the mainland, but their Sunset Luau was even better than any we've attended in the islands. From the Roast Pig carried to the serving area to the wonderful food to the marvelous show, this tops anything we've run across. The show was outstanding with 10 wonderful musicians and about 15 performers. The show featured dances from the many islands in Polynesia. Only the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu had more of a cast and crew.

Everyone in the cast or associated with the hotel was happy and smiling. As I looked around the guests were also happy. Rebecca Baumwirt made us feel very welcome and happy and made sure we were having a good time.

I've not stayed at the Catamaran before but have been to several conventions there (including a couple I helped arrange). The same friendly attitude is always present and Rebecca B. is masterful in arranging meetings and tending to the details. I've recommended the Catamaran to both friends and business associates. The entire hotel makes you feel you've left your cares behind to travel to an island paradise (but with excellent Audio/Visual and convention services).

North kingstown ri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was fabulous!The staff was so friendly, each and every one! The guys working at the waterfront were EXCEPTIONAL! They took extra time to teach myself and the kids the correct and safe way to paddleboard,they even went in the water to help the youngest learn properly,We ate dinner and breakfast at the restaurant, the food was fabulous,veiw is phenominal on patio, and the waitstaff was super friendly and service was exemplary!! I cant wait to go back!!!!

• Stayed July 2014
Poway, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

My friend and I attended the Catamaran Luau Tuesday Evening and it was Fantastic! The Bay View and the Awesome San Diego Nightime weather made the evening incredible. The Dance Performances made us feel like we were truly in Hawaii attending a Luau on the Beach. The Buffet was Delicous and the Mai Tai's were Very Good as well!
Overall a Great Night and we were only 30 minutes from home but felt like we were hours away on vacation.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
LA, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Although my "garden view" room needed an upgrade (it was a bit rundown and my safe didn't work even after purported repair), I really enjoyed staying at this resort hotel. It is in a great location with a lot of white sand beachfront on the bay. The sand was clean, the views of the bay were great, and I enjoyed the free beach umbrellas and chairs as well as the beach food service. Rentals for colorful small sailboats and other water vehicles were easily available. The ocean is one block away. Restaurants and stores are right outside the resort. The pool area could be bigger, but it had nice lounge chairs and tables for everyone's use. I loved the spa and enjoyed a relaxing massage. I also loved my Saturday evening meal, sitting outside on the restaurant patio and enjoying the free tiki lighting ceremony and hula dancers. This is a vibrant hotel with a lot of emphasis on beach, leisure, and entertainment. I will definitely return to this property on my next San Diego visit.

Room Tip: I would stay in a room on the beach - best views and best access to the beach and the hotel restaura...
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I've been a fan of the Catamaran Resort for years but most recently they have reaffirmed my love for the hotel with attentive staff and fantastic customer service. I was lucky enough to work with Melissa Armstrong and Kim Gaines again on a corporate meeting/event. Our company chose a VERY busy summer weekend for our meeting and I was blown away by how superb the service was. As an added bonus, there is so much to do at the resort and on the bay in the warm summer. I was also so pleased with their bike shop and really appreciated the great lengths they went to to rent out 50 bikes (all at once) to our group. Hollis and his convention service staff were attentive to our every need (including the ever changing temperatures of the meeting rooms...you always have people who are too cold or too hot, but they smiled and assisted every time we asked for a temp change).

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

This is an extraordinary place to stay. The landscaping is just phenomenal and makes you feel like you are so far removed from the city that is so near by. The rooms are decent size, we did not have a bay view but did have a nice balcony. Short walk right out to the sandy beach area, ample parking and gated in. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!