“Positively Surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
NYC
“Positively Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Pretty good staff, willing to help however possible. Luz, the housekeeper, is excellent!! She was so friendly - always asking how our day was - and took so much care cleaning our room during our 11 night stay.

The location is great if you want something on the water/bay that is walking distance to Garnet Avenue & Mission Blvd in Pacific Beach (bars/restaurants) but also quiet.

Would definitely recommend if looking to stay in the area.

We did have a hiccup with mail delivery - a few parcels were delivered and lost temporarily but finally found. Once found the hotel was nice enough to comp us a meal for the troubles.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (705)
  • Turkish first
Bakersfield, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

My family and I stayed here for four days and overall had a nice time. The hotel is in a GREAT location... very close to the beach and right on the Bay. There are also a variety of shops and restaurants with in walking distance from the hotel. The hotel also offered recreational rentals for both the beach areas and the bay. We were never left wondering where to go for dinner, where we could find a drug store, or what to do. The lobby is beautiful and the birds were fun to see! Very tropical!

We had dessert at the Atoll restaurant and it was EXCELLENT!! Well worth the prices. We also had appetizers and drinks at Moray's. Also VERY good. In the booklet with our room key we had an add saying that happy hour at Moray's had $6.50 appetizers as well as beer, wine, and well specials. However, when we went for happy hour, the appetizers were now $8 and the beer, wine, and well specials were .50 cents to $1.50 higher than what was stated in our booklet. Not a big deal because the food was good and it was still pretty cheap, but the staff couldn't honor the price or 'let the management know about the misprint.' We just got an 'appetizers have always been $8' response.

On to the hotel itself... the hotel is dated. I'm ok with dated. In fact, I like old school charm! However, it seems like improvements can be made to the bathroom and to scrape the popcorn off the ceilings and add a fresh coat of paint here and there without ruining the charm. The bathroom only had a pedestal sink that isn't big enough to set your toothbrush or contact lens case on. Toiletry items had to be kept in the dim vanity/kitchen area. There was only 3 of us, 1 medium suitcase, 1 small carry on sized suitcase, and a small duffle type bag for toiletries, but the room seemed very cramped. The most spacious area was our patio and it was really nice to hang out there.

The thing that really got to me, and the reason for the 2 point deduction, was there was no staff keeping an eye on the pool area. There was someone checking room keys for towels and a cook, but no other staff working in the pool area. There was a lot of trash blowing around and lots of plates just piled up or thrown under the lounge chairs. A lot of kids were playing very rough in the pool and I did see a few people get jumped on and get stray balls to the face. There was also a lot of unsupervised (age 4-10ish) rowdy kids in the spa. They were doing jumps and cannon balls into the spa, playing with dive toys, and rough housing (so much so that a 6ish year old kid whacked his mouth on the side of the spa and got a bloody lip...which he rinsed in the spa) Also, one of them was 'snorkeling' with fins on and kept splashing an older woman who was trying to relax. Kids being loud and having a good time doesn't bother us (we had our child with us), but unsupervised kids playing too rough and mean is where I draw the line. If the parents left them alone and they're causing a disturbance to others, staff should give them a time out from the pool.

WARNING GROSS: The biggest YUCK though that made us leave pretty quick was a woman with a 15-18 month old child. Mom checked the child's diaper, apparently saw that it was dirty because she scooped it out of the childs diaper and threw it under her lounge chair!!!!!! COME ON. Take the baby back to the room for a change! We left after this incident and I was going to tell the attendant checking out towels, but she was no where to be found and her area was picked up. I've submitted a picture, but it might be deleted because, well, its of poop. So warning, POOP.

Despite the craziness of the Romper Room pool area, we did have a nice time at the Catamaran.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I worked with Melissa Armstrong and Stephanie Harrison to review the Catamaran for an upcoming event. Lunch was delicious. Who would think a shrimp quesadilla would taste so good? They gave a tour of the property which had a tropical feel. We checked out the Bahia Belle boat ride as well in the evening. The live music on the boat was a nice treat.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I just got married at The Catamaran in May and the experience from start to finish with planning through the entire weekend of and even after could not have better. Amber Kelly is hands down the best Event and catering planner I have ever encountered She was professional, fun, on top of every detail, and above all, patient with me and my needs/demands. She did not let a single detail slip through the cracks and I can truly say our wedding ran flawlessly. In addition to Amber, the resort staff from the valet to reception and bartenders were phenomenal and so kind, and not jsut to us as the Bride and Groom but all of our guests that traveled in for the weekend. All of my friends and family commented on what a great resort and staff it was. I feel lucky to say that our wedding was so spot on and ran perfectly. I cannot recommend this place highly enough as an option for a beach wedding! The food was deliecios as well and this was a plated dinner for over 200 guests so I was prepared to be served hot food, but not at all! it was hot, delicious, and served on time!I wouldn't change a thing about my experience and want to personally thank The Catamaran and especially Amber Kelly for giving us the weekend and wedding of our dreams! such a fun resoort and I can't wait to go back very soon.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Hotel is about 1.5 blocks from the beach and located pretty well for the overall San Diego area attractions. Staying up here in Mission Beach I think is a great idea, because it's beautiful and not quite in the middle of too much action and busy city stuff.

The rear of the hotel is right on Mission Bay and "Sail Bay", where you can do water activities like SUP, sailing, etc. I personally didn't get into the water and I would suggest going to the real beach if you want to swim and frolic. There is lots of sand, however, for the kids and there is a long path that goes in both directions that is great for walks, running, Segway riding, etc. By the way, I always thought Segways were pretty silly devices and I admit that I was wrong. Do this with your family/friends, they rent them right at the hotel and teach you. In 5-15 minutes, you'll get comfortable and have a blast.

The grounds are nicely done, everything from the tropical lobby with waterfall to the exotic birds they have outside that you can interact with every day. Service is good, the restaurants have actually pretty decent food (though you really should try some of the great things out there!) and overall the stay was really fun and relaxing.

We had a room in the tower and it was nothing special with good comfort and amenities. The bungalow type buildings are nicer and very comfortable. Overall, a really good property, though I'm hard pressed to hand out a max rating/excellent. Nothing really wrong here, but you have to be pretty special in my book to get an excellent rating.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This was our second stay at the Catamaran - the first was in a ground floor room on the grass looking out at the Bay a few years ago. This time we were in the high-rise on the 6th floor with a Bay view.

It was Father's Day weekend so the place was full of families and kids running around, especially at the pool. Up in the high rise it was peaceful and quiet on the small deck with a great view. My first complaint was there was no small refrigerator in the room.

The property is very nice (if a little dated) with a convenient restaurant and bar with plenty of outdoor seating looking at the water. The food is pretty good and the service is friendly and enthusiastic from the young staff. We didn't use the Spa but worked out in the exercise room there with large open windows looking out at the Bay.

My second complaint is a $17 a day charge for self-parking (in a 2 story structure with no elevator) or $22 for valet parking.

There are umbrellas and chairs on the beach, boat, paddleboard and bike rentals with a paved 8 mile trail around the Bay. Across the street is Mission Beach with even more activity, shops, bars and restaurants and a 4 mile trail to walk or ride. At 10pm every night you can see the fireworks display at Sea World across the Bay.

The location is good between the airport and La Jolla, with easy access to Little Italy, downtown or any of the other San Diego attractions.

Overall I really like the Catamanran Resort and can't think of anywhere I'd rather stay for a weekend in San Diego.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sonora, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This is a review of the spa services only. We booked a spa treatment package special for each of us. It allowed us the use of the entire resort (sans room) from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. We arrived at 9, had breakfast overlooking the Bay. The service was 5 star and continued that way throughout the day. Every staff member we met acknowledged us or asked if we needed assistance. We were surprised at the reasonable price for breakfast at a hotel! My yogurt, fresh berry and homemade granola were delicious and more than I could eat. We checked in at the spa, each of us escorted for a tour of the facility; an oasis of eucalyptus scented tranquility. Our day consisted of an hour paddle boarding, whirlpool, heavenly massages, hanging out in the relaxation room, a facial for me, steam room for him. We wandered around the facility, shared guacamole and a glass of wine in the outdoor patio by a koi pond.
We recommend this for people who live in the area or vacationers staying somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2014

Been to Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!