For booking through hotwire I was pleasantly surprised to be staying there and have it live up to its star rating. Some reviews didn't sound promising and I was a bit concerned.
When I checked in, desk clerk assigned me a room and based on the map (no balcony, major walkway) I wasn't too pleased. I asked if there was anything else and he offered me a room in the 200 building that had a shaded garden view of the pool. I was a little concerned with the pool noise (kids really use this pool during the day) but it wasn't too bad. Staff was attentive and offered to relocate me the following day if I didn't like the room.
The first night I discovered that the air conditioning didn't work and it was sweltering. I could open the sliding doors to let in air but the screen door didn't lock so there was some trepidation about security. Staff quickly attended to it the following day and the A/C was fine (although its fan is rather loud).
Only criticisms other than this was there seemed to be a bit of an ant problem (but nothing that really concerned me), and the bed was a bit hard for my liking. Also paying for parking is a drag but seems to be common place nowadays.
Perks: no significant neighbor noise; HDTV; free wireless internet; iHome clock that let me play and charge my iPod (I loved it so much I bought one later); water pressure was excellent; vanity was convenient and a nice touch; ROOM SERVICE was awesome and food came from Atoll restaurant which was good; on-site spa; and lush grounds with bay beach just steps away.
1) If you are booking with hotwire, know that your room is going to be a standard garden room and that you may need to check it out to see if it meets your standards.
2) The bayview front rooms seem awesome as their porches step right onto the baywalk. If you can swing it, it seems worth the extra $.
3) Book spa treatments well in advance as they seem to book up.
4) Many attractions within 15 minutes' drive: zoo, Sea World, Balboa park, Old Town.
5) If you want to save a little $ on food, some nearby restaurants are good - I enjoyed Piccolo Mondo (within walking distance).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our HOT Tip: Like the Catamaran Resort on Face Book and save up to 15% off the best available rates. The Catamaran’s 313 rooms and suites are spacious and tastefully appointed with their own balcony or patio. Mission Bay, the world’s largest aquatic park, is at your doorstep and the enticing waves of the Pacific Ocean are just 100 yards away. Enjoy marvelous views of the California coastline or stunning city skyline from every part of our beach resort. In San Diego, activities and local attractions are never far away. Visit the world famous San Diego Zoo, historic Old Town, and SeaWorld. Whether staying at the Catamaran Resort for pleasure or business, you’ll experience San Diego, one of Southern California’s most exciting cities, in all its fascinating and colorful detail. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, getaroom.com and BookIt.com so you can book your Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catamaran Hotel Mission Bay
- Catamaran Resort & Spa San Diego
- Catamaran Resort San Diego
- Catamaran San Diego