“Relaxing retreat” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles, CA
“Relaxing retreat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2008

For booking through hotwire I was pleasantly surprised to be staying there and have it live up to its star rating. Some reviews didn't sound promising and I was a bit concerned.

When I checked in, desk clerk assigned me a room and based on the map (no balcony, major walkway) I wasn't too pleased. I asked if there was anything else and he offered me a room in the 200 building that had a shaded garden view of the pool. I was a little concerned with the pool noise (kids really use this pool during the day) but it wasn't too bad. Staff was attentive and offered to relocate me the following day if I didn't like the room.

The first night I discovered that the air conditioning didn't work and it was sweltering. I could open the sliding doors to let in air but the screen door didn't lock so there was some trepidation about security. Staff quickly attended to it the following day and the A/C was fine (although its fan is rather loud).

Only criticisms other than this was there seemed to be a bit of an ant problem (but nothing that really concerned me), and the bed was a bit hard for my liking. Also paying for parking is a drag but seems to be common place nowadays.

Perks: no significant neighbor noise; HDTV; free wireless internet; iHome clock that let me play and charge my iPod (I loved it so much I bought one later); water pressure was excellent; vanity was convenient and a nice touch; ROOM SERVICE was awesome and food came from Atoll restaurant which was good; on-site spa; and lush grounds with bay beach just steps away.

TIPS:
1) If you are booking with hotwire, know that your room is going to be a standard garden room and that you may need to check it out to see if it meets your standards.
2) The bayview front rooms seem awesome as their porches step right onto the baywalk. If you can swing it, it seems worth the extra $.
3) Book spa treatments well in advance as they seem to book up.
4) Many attractions within 15 minutes' drive: zoo, Sea World, Balboa park, Old Town.
5) If you want to save a little $ on food, some nearby restaurants are good - I enjoyed Piccolo Mondo (within walking distance).

• Liked — Room service, spa facilities, lush grounds.
  • Disliked — Hard beds.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (707)
  • Turkish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2008

Some mixed reviews had left me a wee bit nervous especially as this was the location we were staying longest at on our honeymoon. HOWEVER from the minute we arrived we were treated to excellent service and enjoyed every minute of our stay. Very helpful staff and a fantastic location, 1 min from the beach, shops, bars and restaurants AND 1 minute in the other direction to the bay side beach! Totally spolit for choice when comes to local restaurants. Amazing, just amazing to see so many wild birds wandering / flying around! The Catamaran is brilliant, just brilliant.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

I booked our reservation at the hotel website in advance. The site said we would receive a free upgrade to a garden view studio room @ $143.00. I arrived late at night and went to my room and noticed my garden view was in fact the many storied parking garage, no garden in sight. I went back to the front desk to tell them I did not like the room and did not want to look directly into a garage that was well lit and had traffic all night long. The front desk clerk actually snickered and replied.. "Don't you like the garage view?" He suggested that I could upgrade for an additional $35.00 a night and be on a higher floor and have a bay view. I went for it because I was tired and just wanted to get it done but I felt totally set-up. The room was nothing great. It was small, very outdated and dreary. The air-conditioning was very loud but we had to use it because the sliding glass doors did not have screen door. We did have a small kitchen but there was nothing in it,. not even a toaster. The room was never serviced until very late in the afternoon and then when I tried to communicate to the maid that I just wanted towels, she did not speak a word of English.
When I checked out, I again brought up the "garden view" issue and told them that I thought it was a set-up.. kind of a bait and switch. They then agreed to refund me half of the upgrade charge. I would never consider staying here again. It is way, way overpriced!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

I spent only two days at the Cataraman with my kids and I can tell you we all had a blast. We stayed in a suite (got upgraded for free) overlooking the beach.....beautiful......

I didnt think the place was too spacious, but it was fine. Very clean, and well maintained. The walk to our room was kind of long but scenic, there were ducks wandering around and parrots. We were able to rent bikes w/ toddler chairs attached for a great rate, even went paddleboating for a small fee.

I was dissapointed with the fact the room didnt have a microwave, and the beds were real small. But there were 2 plasma tv's in our suite which was great.

Room service was a bit expensive as well. Water was $5.00 (vending machine on the grounds werent working that night)
But waking up and looking out on the beach was wonderful. I wouldnt hesitate to go back .

• Liked — The ducks, parrots, 2 plasma tv's, the view of the beach
  • Disliked — the size of the beds (They were double beds rather than a queen beds)
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2008

Great spot. We had a tower suite overlooking bay, great views. Beautiful room, very clean, great amenities. We found this hotel a great base for visiting San Diego, it took us no time to get to the local sights, Seaworld, Zoo etc.

Loved the wildlife, ducks, swans, parrots.

Cannot understand the negative reviews that have been written previously, we have travelled extensively throughout the US, Canada and Europe and would put this in one of our top hotels to recomend. We are British and would recomend this hotel to any Brits planning to visit the San Diego area.

• Liked — Beautiful views
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2008

My wife, 3 year old and I stayed for five nights over spring break. Not sure where all the negative reviews are coming from, but the Catamaran is very nice place.... The grounds are gorgeously maintained and the location is perfect for seeing the San Diego area. Our room was in the tower and was spotless. Brand new HD tv and the beds were very comfortable. I think some of the other travelers that have written reviews need to relax and enjoy their vacations. We had no problems and found all staff members very helpful. There was plenty on dining choices along the beach. We enjoyed watching the sun go down at PB Beach Club most evenings (the people watching was great...). I definitley would stay here again if in the San Diego area. If you have an extra day to drive up the coast, do it. Awesome scenery. Laguana Beach, La Jolla Shores and the Torry Pines areas are incredible.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

This hotel is under rated! The ambiance, floral and fauna abound! Our room was over the pool, private, and not noisey at all - during Easter! The tv was a brand new HD flat screen! Bathrooms were fine, along w/bedding and double sinks with a large counter top for our stuff (2 adults, 2 teenage girls). The grounds are absolutely beautiful - stayed at the beach on Mission Bay, spent last day at pool (there were a lot of little kids but tollerable). We loved going to Pacific Beach in the a.m. for coffee and a walk, then breakfast at The Green Flash - a favorite. The beach is full of colorful characters, surfer dudes, little restaurants, etc. Walking distance to shopping. We parked on the side street in the back. Did not visit spa - thought it was overpriced compared to Chicago! Visited Zoo (go in a.m. when the animals are hungry and not too hot - we went in the afternoon and it was a "buzz kill" as polar bears and pandas were sleeping in the heat of the afternoon and we couldn't see their faces! Saw USS MIDWAY, had lunch in Gaslight Dist., great seafood dinner in Cardiff, drove thru LaJolla. Went to Coronado, saw great hotel, view from bridge was awesome and a bit scary.

• Liked — Location and Ambiance
  • Disliked — The stairs - only way to your room (with luggage!) even from the parking lot.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!