“The perfect event” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Newport Beach, California
“The perfect event”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Tracy Americk and her catering team at the Catamaran hotel organized the perfect event for my husband's 60th birthday. Dave, the head waiter went over the top to help me out and Brittany the activities director did a phenomenal job organizing activities. I couldn't have asked for more.

Room Tip: We like the beach front rooms in the 600 building. There are more economical options
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

1,692 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I had stayed at this location about five years ago when I lived in San Diego and attended a business meeting there. I loved the hotel and remembering this, I reserved a room for two purposes. First, it was my birthday, and secondly and most importantly, I am recently engaged and was excited to take my fiancé there to have her possibly consider this location for our wedding.

I had booked a King Bayview Deluxe room through Expedia which had been confirmed by Expedia. After checking in and making our way to the room, we entered a room which had two double beds. I immediately called to the desk and was put on hold. After 5 minutes on hold, we decided to go back to the desk and get the correct room. I explained the situation to the woman at the desk and she quickly pointed out that when you purchase a room through Expedia, that rooms are subject to availability. I said I understand that, but I have a confirmation that nowhere on it states that I did not get what I requested. She again pointed out that all rooms are subject to availability, which as I learned your staff definitely has been trained to use that phrase because I heard it over and over again. When she said there were no other rooms available and there was nothing she could do, I asked to speak to a Supervisor. She then proceeded to go into an office and about five minutes later came out with a Supervisor. He approached the counter and said, “Hi, what can I do for you?” Based on how long the other person had been in there it was obvious that he was well aware of the situation. I asked him if he was aware or if I needed to again explain it to him. He said that she had filled him in, and immediately stated that unfortunately all rooms through Expedia are subject to availability. At this point, I became very frustrated as to what was transpiring after I spent $300 a night and was going to end up with a room with two double beds for my new fiancé and I. I asked him what he could do, and he said unfortunately all rooms were booked and there was nothing he could do. He said he would see if there was any availability on the following night, but it appeared as Saturday was full as well, but he would let me know. He said he could possibly give us a dinner if we would like. He never once apologized, appeared sympathetic nor did he give us a food credit or let us know the following day that he was not going to be able to get us a king room. Working in a customer service industry as well, I can assure you that this supervisor has no business being in the position he holds.

With no other option than the double bed room, we headed to the room and was helped by Mick who was one of the few highlights of our weekend stay. He was polite and very helpful. We then decided to order room service. I placed an order and then realizing I had left something in my vehicle, I headed downstairs to retrieve my belongings. On the way down, I saw an employee headed my direction with a tray. I asked him if he was headed to my room and he said yes. I asked him if he could wait just a minute, that I was running to my car. He said yes, and as I started to head towards my car, I glanced back and he was rolling his eyes. I could not believe what was happening.

The following night, we were headed to Gaslamp to celebrate my birthday. I called to the desk to see if we could get a cab. I told the person at the desk that we needed it in about an hour. He said, let me see if I can get you a car and he would call me back. He called me back quickly and said he didn’t have a car available, but would order us a cab. We went downstairs at the requested time and didn’t see a cab. I asked the valet if he knew where our cab was and after completing his text on his cell phone he said he didn’t know anything about a cab, but he would call one for us. Again, another let down and example of the lack of service focus at thishotel.

Sunday morning, after checking out, we decided to grab a bite to eat before driving back to Los Angeles. The brunch looked amazing, but because we were driving, we passed on the mimosas and buffet and decided to just order from the regular menu. We were seated on the patio where for the next 13 minutes we were never spoken to and no one came over to the table. I saw several tables that were seated after us and had ordered the buffet get waited on immediately and champagne served. After the 13 minutes my fiancé got up and left without eating. I understand they are catering to the brunch crowd, but all guests should be important. This was a fitting end to a very disappointing weekend.

People have many options on where they spend their money and where I thought I was making a great choice for a special celebration and possibly a future wedding, I instead am still today wondering what happened to the outstanding service I experienced 5 years ago.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Traveling CA, General Manager at Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
We apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations and was not as you had hoped. Unfortunately Expedia does not have the ability to assign bed types on their site. All the reservations from Expedia come over as run-of-house bedding. We recommend, when booking, calling us or booking directly on our site, as we can ensure that you will have the lowest pricing as well as the bed type of your request. I would also like to apologize if our staff was not empathizing with your situation, as caring for our guests is our top priority and in your case we fell short of that goal. We have shared your experience with our management team to ensure other guest do not experience the issues that were encountered on your stay. We hope you will give us another try and allow us to deliver the service so many of our guests come back to us for time and time again.
Carol Stream, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

My daughter & I had a get away and we are glad we stayed here. San Diego is great- the resort is a bit old but has comfy rooms with a kitchen. The landscaping is beautiful & tropical. There are many ponds with beautiful fish, ducks & many ducklings as well as tropical birds. The location is perfect if you want to relax & walk to everything- Pacific Beach 1 block east & the resort on the bay. Thanks!

• Stayed May 2013
Mission Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I spent my 60th birthday at this fantastic resort. My husband, my sons, my daughter- in- law and my girlfriend who was also celebrating her birthday joined me for my birthday celebration. I got three bay front rooms which had great views of mission bay. I loved it. The grounds were beautiful. My girlfriend and I received complimentary fruit and cheese baskets because it was our birthdays. How special is that! Also everyone in our party received a coupon for a free breakfast the following morning. The staff were friendly and very helpful. They made my 60th birthday very memorable. We also had a spa day the following day at their fabulous spa. It was very enjoyable and relaxing. I plan on returning every year to this beautiful resort. Two Thumbs Up!!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I am an avid brunch fan and recently got to try out the Sunday brunch at the Catamaran. The food selection was fantastic, especially if you're a seafood lover! The service and staff at the Atoll restaurant was friendly and attentive, making it a very enjoyable meal.

I have also worked with the Catamaran on multiple occasions for work conferences. Melissa Armstrong, the sales manager, was great to work with and very helpful during my visits. I highly recommend the resort for personal and professional gatherings and cannot thank Melissa enough for all of her assistance!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I run an annual conference and we have used the Catamaran Hotel for several of our conferences. The service has been great and their attention to detail was extraordinary. We had receptions, lunches and breaks scheduled as part of the 3 day conference and the quality of food and the professionalism of their staff was one the best I have seen in the industry. My point of contact was Melissa Armstrong, and she was an absolute pleasure to work with. She kept an open communication with me throughout the contract process as well as during the conference. I have worked with her for several years and look forward to our conference at the Catameran this October.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I've been directly and indirectly involved in attending events and hosting events at the Catamaran for over 15 years and highly recommend them and their family of hotels (Bahia and Lodge) because they treat you like FAMILY!!!. I've worked with the same staff for years (hint-it must be a great place to work) and they remember your name and treat you like royalty! My 'planning' contact is Melissa Armstrong and I really appreciate that she's been able to help me work out the details of the various events I coordinate. She's attentive to her client's needs and always been treats like I am a special customer. I'm a 'foodie' and love the Sunday Brunch! Nothing like having an event or staying at a location where you feel like you are on a tropical island (a perfect place for a 'stay-cation'!)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!