“Would not go back” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego
“Would not go back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stayed there for four nights in a bay view double room.

I loved the view from the room and balcony. The balcony deserved, however, more interior than two plastic chairs and a stool. Also the pool and jacuzzi was really nice. Other than that, I would not call this place a resort. Or recommend this place.

It is VERYinefficiently soundproof. You do here people talking with normal voices in the room just wall to wall. We had a spacious room, with a nice bed and TV.

Other than the TV, nothing in the room can have been bought during the last 15 years. The bathroom is probably from 1990. The shower is a disaster, it is in the tub, and tall people has to duck. Also, it was a very weak shower. Not suitable for a "resort" in my opinion.

Some of the staff were really at the wrong place, in the wrong profession. It was 50/50.
Had big problems with the wifi in my room. Called the frontdesk, who gaved me a number to some IT firm. When checking out I was billed for those calls. Hmm.. The wifi works so so from the pool area.

My first day there (and first day in San Diego) i called the front desk and asked if it was ok to drink tap water. Got so silly stupid answers that I had to tell here
1. I am a tourist
2. Since I am a tourst, I don't know what it's like here.
3. I am staying at a hotel

There was an unpleasant smell of old clothes in the restaurant. Maybe that is why I never saw someone eating there except during breakfast hours.

The gym was clean and they have everything you need there.

The gardens are very beautiful and well taken care of. Beautiful plants all over the place.

The cleaning ladies very really cute and did a great job.

Great location if you love to hang out on the beach side and there are lots of good restaurant around, especially on Garnet Avenue.

I would not come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Take a room with bay view, it will be worth it compared to garden view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Just got back from our Jan 4-9th stay. We had a great time. This is winter season, so the gardens were not at their peak. That said, they were beautiful and the parrots, ducks and hummingbirds were a treat. The room was clean and comfortable. The bed was very comfortable. All the staff we dealt with were excellent, but the Concierge Allyne really made the difference. He pointed out sites to see, restaurants to dine at, and helped us plan our activities, so we wouldn't be wasting time or money. He helped us rent a car, they dropped off and picked up at the hotel. When it was good value he arranged a town car, and when it was easiest, he gave us directions to us the bus & tram to visit Old Town and go whale watching. What's more he listened to us about our preferences and our feedback. The lounge and restaurants are both very good too. One nice touch by the hotel- when it rained they set out baskets of umbrellas at each door. The only drawback was that our ground floor room was near a busy service pathway -see our tip for choosing a room

Room Tip: rooms either face the road, garden or the bay. Of the tower/garden rooms avoid ones that face the pa...
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Beautiful setting and a laid back atmosphere make the Catamaran a great stay. Centrally located with bus stop in front of the hotel. Bar was very quiet in winter but from what I heard becomes quite lively and pleasant.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Bloomington, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I really enjoyed staying here on our vacation. We loved our room (403) our patio overlooked a pond and you could see the pool area off to the right. We had a mini fridge in our room which was nice for storing bottled water, Coca-cola, and the block of cheese we bought at the CVS store (we stocked up on some snack food too). We hung out at Moray's Bar quite a few times -- they have a Happy Hour 3-6 pm. So you can get some reasonably priced drinks and apps. We ate breakfast at Atoll's and enjoyed everything we had. The bay was gorgeous and the Catamaran is a short walk to the ocean. We really enjoyed being able to walk to a bunch of different restaurants/bars. (Miller's Field, Beach Wood, PB Ale House, and some place called Duck something. A short car ride to Sea World, Gamplamp (20 minutes), Zoo (20-25 minutes). We decided if we went back we would definitely stay here again. Our only complaint was that the shower head was low and it didn't have a wide spray, but that was minor in the scheme of things -- it worked which was the important part :)

San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed the night in the Tower during a business Holiday party. Love love love the view of the San Diego Mission Bay. Front Desk Service was excellent. Room service was timely. Food was hot and yummy.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Bel Air
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My daughter and I spent Christmas week at the Catamaran and we could not have asked for a better holiday. I was a bit nervous because it was just the two of us and we were traveling from Maryland and had never been to San Diego, but was I shocked!! The Catamaran made our entire stay perfect! Our room was beautiful, the grounds were amazing, the gentleman at the concierge desk went well beyond their call of duty, the pool was perfect, the food incredible and so much more. When we return to see this amazing city...we WILL be staying at the Catamaran! Thank you for making our trip a very special one.

Room Tip: Room 404--beautiful pond view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

San Diego was the last stop on our honeymoon in the south-western united states and I am glad that we stayed at Catamaran. It nice. I was a little disappointed that everywhere else we went (in total we stayed at 6 hotels and travelled with 3 air lines) every other hotel gave us some 'thing' ( an up-graded room, or bottle of champagne) due to it being our honeymoon. At the Catamaran we got nothing - not even a room with a decent view. We spent 5 days looking the 'other' way over a car park. Gee thanks.

Despite my, clearly unrealistic expectations of customer service and hospitality, the room was adequate. There were a few issues
1) the shower/bath does not get hot enough. (I mentioned this at reception one morning and one of the maintenence guys went to have a look and told me i shouldn't shower when everyone else wants to if I want to have a hot shower). A shame because the other hotels we stayed in didnt have an issue with hot water and they welcomed the same number of guests or more.
2) where we were - with our wonderful car park view - it was quite noisy as there were lots of kids playing in the pool with at 11pm and someone having a party nearby.
3) It wasn't a problem for us but the hotel do hold conferences and so there will often be large parties of people, sometimes teenagers/young adults hanging around.

On the up-side
1) service in the hotel restaurant was excellent. The food was to-die-for-delcious but you can come into the restaurant from outside, you don't have to be a hotel guest. I do recommend having the brunch on a Sunday as we saw the food being set out and it looked fresh, tasy and such a wide variety. Lots of local families come for the sunday brunch so check that you don't need to book (sadly we left early on the sunday so didn't get the chance).
2) The landscaping and the gardens are a real selling point and very well kept.
3) The hotel runs a taxi service which is cheaper than the local taxis charge. I recommend using this service. It is very efficient and took us to both the Zoo and Sea World for a very reasonable price.

If you are staying long enough I recommend Bella Italia on Garnet Ave. The food is so good that it just melts in your mouth. I recommend the hotel taxi though coz after all that food you won't want to walk!

Will def. go back to mission bay but won't stay at the catamaran again - sorry!

Room Tip: Go for a room with a view - definately worth it. Oh, and wear ear-plugs. The hotel is noisy
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!