“Great Location, Clean Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2051 Shelter Island Drive, San Diego, CA 92106   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #16 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
California
“Great Location, Clean Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I stayed here overnight for business. Friendly & courteous service at front desk. Staff willing to accommodate my early check-in request. Room was clean and comfortable. Room faced eastward towards Mission Bay. Very picturesque, with Navy base & downtown visible. Great park across street from hotel, very safe to walk along shoreline. Good food from hotel restaurant.

I like the location because it's close to everything (Sea World, downtown, beaches, etc.) without feeling like it's in a congested area. No traffic hassles at all. I plan to stay here on future visits with my family.

Room Tip: Rooms facing bay may be a little noisier. Helicopter traffic from NAS North Island only during dayl...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
Gloucester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I studied long and hard before deciding on this hotel. We were given a room in the new section of the hotel (a long walk from reception but you could park outside) on the bay side of the hotel. The room was immaculately clean (top marks to the cleaner!) and we had a nice view of the bay albeit on the other side of the road across a small car-park. You could see a childrens play area from our room (579) and boats coming along with a pelican or two. Early evening you could hear sea-lions barking in the background.

The only complaint was that the shower dial needed some attention but we could still make it work. I was asked for any areas the hotel could improve on as I left the hotel which I was impressed by as it's obvious they are clean to please and rectify where necessary.

As we were on the far side of the hotel, there was no noise at all and we didn't see many people as we were out all day at Seaworld and San Diego Zoo which were both local to the hotel.

I hope I get the chance to return one day for a little longer!

Room Tip: Room 579 overlooks the Bay and is in the new part of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Manassas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

This hotel is absolutely the tops as far as decor, staff and location. You'll not be disappointed here. Been staying here for business/pleasure for 20 years and it continues to get better by the year.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

SoCal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Original review (2 stars):
This hotel has two sides....... the "good" side along the Marina and the "bad" side along the parking lot!!
I'm sure we had one of the worst rooms on the property!
We stayed here last weekend while visiting San Diego for a Halloween party.
I tried to upgrade to a 'view' room but was told they were sold out.

First off the hotel is pretty nice.. especially if you have a room on the 'good' side with a view of the marina. The grounds are nice and clean except the entryway to the front lobby which happens to be the smoking section with a large ashtray. Numerous people stand right outside the front doors smoking so you get to walk by that every time you go in and out the front door of the hotel.
That's classy!

Our room faced the parking lot. Cars parked directly outside the front door and windows.
Our room sucked!
The best thing about the room was the very large flat screen TV. Also there were 6 pillows on the bed and all were clean and fresh (no stains).
That's about it for the good things.
The room was so warm when we walked in. We immediately turned on the a/c unit hoping it would cool down quickly since it wasn't warm at all outside.
The room was pretty clean except for a large clump of about 15 LONG black hairs on the bathroom floor. I assumed they had been stuck to the mop or whatever they cleaned the tile floor with. It was gross but I just picked it up with a kleenix and threw it away.
I later found one more long black hair on the top sheet of the bed... gross.

We got ready and left for our party... it was miserable because the room was so warm. We hoped it would be cool when we returned later that night.
We got back at 1am and the room was still warm. It was only 65* outside so we couldn't figure out why the room was warm. The a/c was obviously not working.
It felt like there was a heater on in the room even though we couldn't find anything. The floor in the bathroom was very warm so it must of been heated even though there was no mention of this in the room or a switch to turn it off.
We even opened the windows and left the door open to try and get the cold air from outside in the room...... but it didn't help.

The bathroom has no air flow at all. It felt like a sauna in there the entire time.
The shower is dark (no lights) and very claustrophobic, especially if you are 6' tall.

We had a horrible nights sleep because the room never cooled down.
Luckily it was only a one night stay. If not, we definitely would have switched rooms.
We packed up as soon as morning came (still like a sauna in the room).
When checking out the girl at the counter NEVER asked how our room was or how our stay was.
I told her the a/c was not working and the room was like a sauna. She only said "OK, I will have someone check it".
That was it.

This was one of the worst hotel stays I have ever had. So uncomfortable!
All this for $162 a night!
Even though the rest of the hotel seems nice and the location is great, I probably would not go back. I would try another hotel......... there are so many to choose from in the area!

Updated review, one week later (4 stars):
I was contacted by the Director of Guest Services after filling out a survey about my experience at this hotel.

He informed me that the a/c was indeed not working and had to be repaired. After investigating the hot bathroom floor, they also determined that there was a pipe leak in the area that was causing the problem. They had to dig up the floor to repair the issue which would correct the hot flooring and sauna-like room.

I was very pleased to find out we weren't going crazy!! Now we know why the room felt like a sauna and why we thought the room had heated floors!

He did the right thing and took care of us by giving us a credit for our stay.
I would try this hotel again. The place was nice and has great architecture which is part of the reason we ended up here in the first place.

Definitely spend a little more and get a "Marina View" room. The rooms are right on the water and have great views of hundreds of sailboats!

Room Tip: Definitely spend a little more and get a "Marina View" room. The rooms are right on the wa...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

It is often said in reviews that the staff "makes all the difference". While I am not quite sure that is not an overstatement it is certain that the staff at Island Palms is alway friendly, helpful and proffesional. The facility is also well kept and inviting. I have stayed numerous times with friends and family and Island Palms will always be the first hotel I check for availability when I go to San Diego.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Queen Creek, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This old hotel looks its age on the outside but the rooms have all been upgraded with new modern amenities. Refrigerator in the room was nice as well as having a microwave. The bathrooms were great as well. Granite counters and shower surround. Would have like a bath for the kids though. No biggie. Property is beautiful and even a room with no view has a view on this great little island.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Vista, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We spent the night of Oct. 30th here to attend a concert at Humphrey's. We usually stay there but decided to try something different and glad we did. The staff is very friendly and answer all question. We had a Marina View room that was more then adequate....large TV, refrigerator & mirco. Also a coffee maker and coffee that I always appreciate. It was just a short walk to Humphrey's and as always a beautiful night in San Diego.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Island Palms Hotel & Marina? Share your experiences!