“Rooms Need Updating” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #70 of 270 Hotels in San Diego

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The views are fantastic especially if you walk to the top! The grounds are well kept and very pretty to walk around with many different blooming flowers and plants. The hotel is in a fantastic location right next all the main attractions in Old Town San Diego. The hotel front desk wasn't the friendliest or most helpful of our trip but the atmosphere made up for it. It was bit of a maze finding your way around at first but i found that all part of the charm of something very different to anything i have stayed in before. Would have been nice if the front desk had shown us where ALL the elevators were, some are not so visible due to the many levels positioned across from each other, on arrival i had to carry all our bags up 2 flights of stairs and we had alot of luggage being it was our last night of our 33 day tour! Thankfully I was shown another elevator the next day by one of the friendly ground staff. There were parking fees but most places do charge nowadays. Free WIFI and good size room with a sofa bed. Loved the old style room with a spanish theme. Just charming i thought.

Room Tip: The higher you go the better the views all across San Diego but may have more difficult access if yo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Ryanaguinaldo, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hacienda Hotel Old Town, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time now to share your thoughts. These are so valuable in helping us improve our product and service. I was especially glad to hear you enjoyed our views, charming rooms and the unique beauty of our property. We take great pride in making our guest’s stay an enjoyable and memorable experience which makes your compliments and suggestions truly appreciated. We are thrilled your last night with us was a great finale to your 33 day tour!
Southern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was our 5th time staying at Hacienda Hotel Old Town. Over the years we have chosen Hacienda due to it's great location, good service and usually great room selection. This time around we had a few issues. We were given a room on the 1st floor of building 6, which I knew from past experience comes with often a noisy hallway. I immediately asked for a different location, but was assured that it would not be an issue as they try to place the families in this location to minimize noise. The front desk also noted that they were indeed full already. Funny that were checking in early (2:45p) and the group checking in next to us got a room change when they were checking in. Around 11pm, a bachelor party group arrived in the rooms directly next to both sides of us. They quieted down after a call to the font desk, but only for a few moments. Luckily/Unluckily they must have left for the bars as it was quiet until 2am when they came back and woke myself and for second time this evening my son. I would have had no issue with the room location had they followed through with placing only families in the area. However telling me they are full, and that they only place families in that area was obviously a ruse. Maybe the lady checking us in didn't have time to accommodate us but it is probably due to her lack of effort that this rating is so low for a place we have previously always enjoyed. For the first time in many years we will be looking for a different place to stay next time we are in San Diego.

Room Tip: Don't stay in building 6 rooms 609+. Noisy hallway and no view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the review of your stay. We are so sorry for the noise you experienced. Just like your previous visits, we are committed to your comfort and satisfaction. We recognize there was a problem with the communication and service at the front desk during this time period and our leadership team is in the process of making swift corrections. I am sure you can understand that as a business which has proven it’s value in the past, problems periodically do sometimes surface. We sincerely do not want to lose you as a loyal guest. I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you directly to listen to your suggestions for how our guests can properly experience the great customer service you received in the past. I can be reached at the hotel at your convenience and please reference this review. Thank you again for leaving this review and I look forward to speaking with you.
Mendocino, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed her twice over a weeks period of time (long story why). The location is terrific, it is in the middle of Old Town and easy walking distance to numerous restaurants, shops and historical sites. The grounds are very nice and well kept and have a Spanish theme consistent with rest of the area.
That is the high points of the hotel, the rest is somewhat down hill from there.
The staff at the check in desk consisted of two brand new employees who were unsure of how to perform basic tasks and there was no one to train them. At one point they went looking for a manager for help but could not find one. They could not figure out how to put my frequent Best Western card number into the computer, at this point I offered a suggestion on how to do so and it worked. They were very nice but just not trained, not their fault at all but the hotel management certainly was derelict.
The first night our room was so far away from the office that we had to take something like 4 elevators and traverse numerous hallways to get to it. Not the type of thing that you want to do after traveling all day. The second night we stayed we asked for a room closer to the lobby which we got, too bad it was next to an elevator....
The rooms were dated and worn. They were basically clean but I suspect they are so old that it is difficult at best to keep them really clean. If you are traveling on business I would definitely NOT recommend staying here, it is not business travel friendly in terms of set-up. I will say though to be fair that the wifi was fast.
They do not offer a complimentary breakfast in the morning as do most BW's so this was a definite missing for us. They have an on-site restaurant but not even the hotel staff could recommend it. They steered us to other restaurants within a short walk and they were great.
So the big question always is would we stay at this hotel again and the answer would be no.
I only give it an average rating because of the location, were it anywhere else I would give it a poor rating.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your comments. One behalf of our entire team, I am sorry for the two disappointing experiences you had with us recently. We offer many room styles and locations throughout our eight buildings. That being said, it is very unfortunate we failed to understand your preferences during and after check-in. As a result of your review, we are working with our new and existing team members in regards to listening and communicating all the options we have (based on occupancy levels). It is our strongest commitment that all guests feel their particular needs are heard and taken care of. In light of these issues, we are grateful you were able to recommend our convenient location, lush property and fast WiFi. If travel plans call for another stay in San Diego, we would greatly appreciate the opportunity to provide an experience which exceeds your expectations. Please contact me through the hotel so that our leadership team can manage your reservation in a personalized way. Thank you again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Keeping in mind that this is not a five star hotel... Our stay exceeded our expectations. I read several mixed reviews on yelp and booked anyway because the price was right. Beds are very comfortable. Room is clean. (Decor is out dated but it is in old town) Today, our room wasn't cleaned until after 4 pm, but it was cleaned early Thursday and Friday. Pool is heated so it is very inviting! It is definitely a maze when you look for your room the first time! All staff that we encountered were smiling and very friendly. Staff went out of their way to let me know when our package had arrived via FedEx! totally appreciated that extra effort! The grounds are very clean. Parking can be tricky if you aren't a patient person. (Park on the street or across the street in a free lot if you have time to look for a space.). Free wifi is always a plus! Excellent location into old town. You are within five invites of walking of everywhere in down town. There are lots of stairs, but once ou figure out where the elevators are, it is a piece of cake to get around the grounds. Call ahead to make sure there are towels at the pool. Otherwise, you should be satisfied with the stay! Thumbs up!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ryanaguinaldo, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hacienda Hotel Old Town, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for the great review of our property! This is exactly the type of feedback that helps travelers planning to stay or making lodging decisions. We appreciate you clarifying that your rating is based on your satisfaction level (as opposed to opulence such as AAA ratings) and that indeed, we exceeded your expectations. We sincerely enjoyed having you as our guest and hope you will visit again!
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed at the Best Western Hacienda Old Town for four nights.
It's so centerally located, right in the middle of Old Town. Close to all the restaurants and shops.

Our room was like a mini suite. A sitting area and then the sleeping area is divided by a low wall and a pole. There's also a small table, 2 chairs and a microwave and refrigerator. The bathroom is a good size also.
The only downside is that it is an older hotel and a little run down. There also was a musty smell when you first get into the room, but once you turn on the air conditoner the smell goes away.

The Hacienda is a very pretty hotel. Many courtyards with fountains. The lobby is great!
Big comfortable chairs and sofa and a wonderful fireplace!

The next time my husband and I are in San Diego, we are staying at the Hacienda again!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Its a large, sprawling complex so if you can get on the first level close to the lobby, it'll be...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your stay! Yes, we are in a great location here in beautiful Old Town. We always appreciate hearing the delight of guests like you, visiting for the first time and feeling they made a great lodging choice. This area is truly special and we take pride in being able to offer an inviting hospitality experience that matches the old world ambiance. Come back and see us again soon!
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

In March I reserved a suite for myself, my husband and our 4 year old granddaughter. When I made the reservation they asked if it was business/pleasure and the age of the child travelling. We love the Old Town area and the looks of the hotel from the street. We checked in to our room and were put on the 2nd floor (no elevator). After struggling up the stairs with our bags we found a narrow walkway with what looked like a huge covered gas grill right in the middle. As it turns out it was the housekeeping cart and it is covered and left there permanently. Still undaunted we entered our room and found a teeny tiny sitting area/kitchen/2nd bedroom (sofa bed). Down the very narrow hall was the dressing area with a small vanity, single sink and big closet. The bathroom was clean but very old and I must admit I was extremely turned off by the peeling bathtub...Still, we had some separation so our granddaughter could sleep early while we had some time without cartoons. We soon discovered that wasn't going to be a problem since this hotel did not subscribe to a cable network that carried one single childrens channel. I decided to log into the internet and let her watch some shows on my computer...We had not received a password at check in and nothing I did would allow me to connect. I called the front desk and the nice young man came to our room and told me the password. I got logged on but the only place the wifi would work was right at the desk in the sitting area. Then it was so slow that the movie would time out before it loaded. By that time I was fed up with the entire hassle and we called the front desk and told them we would be leaving the following morning. The same nice young man said he was sorry and asked if there was anything he could do. At the time we didn't think so.

The following morning (4:00 AM to be exact) the garbage truck pulled up outside our bedroom window and was there for 15 or 20 minutes. Then at 5:15 the food delivery trucks started pulling up outside our bedroom and they ran their engines from 5:15 until 9:00. Needless to say...no sleep. My husband was pretty upset and as soon as he was dressed he went downstairs to check us out. When he told the girl at the front desk about the garbage and delivery trucks she informed him that they usually put business guests in those rooms..really? I'm pretty sure business guests don't want to be awakened at 4am. When he told her we were there on a pleasure trip she just shrugged. As he worked his way back to our room he decided to see what the rest of the property looked like. He was stunned to find a very nice courtyard area, roomy hallways, elevators, views of Old Town and/or the pool.

We would NEVER book a room at a Best Western again. It is simply too hit and miss. We moved that morning to the Homewood Suites at Liberty Station where we had a real suite with a large kitchen, nice bathroom, staff who couldn't do enough to make our stay enjoyable and a full, complementary breakfast as well as a beautiful view of the water.

Room Tip: Don't know what rooms are better but for sure the rooms in Building 7 are AWFUL!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your feedback. On behalf of our team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. I can address a few of your concerns here and I also would like to invite you to feel free to reach out to any member of our leadership team, including myself, if you would like to discuss any aspect of your stay in more detail. First, as your husband noticed we do offer a variety of room styles throughout our property. The mini-suites you described staying in though, are all located in the same building. Also worth noting is that we have started working with the restaurants and businesses below with regards to their delivery and trash times. Most days this is not an issue anymore, but we are not 100% there yet. For the benefit of any members planning travel, feel free to contact us to explore all your room options and ask any questions about our area or property amenities. We are here every day to serve you! Thank you again for giving us this opportunity to respond to you and letting us know you were able to find accommodation that satisfied you. I will pass along your compliments to William at the Front Desk for warm and responsive service and look forward to hearing from you.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Hacienda Hotel Old Town? Share your experiences!