“Old Town Keeper” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 270 hotels in San Diego
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Old Town Keeper”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed at the Best Western Hacienda Old Town for four nights.
It's so centerally located, right in the middle of Old Town. Close to all the restaurants and shops.

Our room was like a mini suite. A sitting area and then the sleeping area is divided by a low wall and a pole. There's also a small table, 2 chairs and a microwave and refrigerator. The bathroom is a good size also.
The only downside is that it is an older hotel and a little run down. There also was a musty smell when you first get into the room, but once you turn on the air conditoner the smell goes away.

The Hacienda is a very pretty hotel. Many courtyards with fountains. The lobby is great!
Big comfortable chairs and sofa and a wonderful fireplace!

The next time my husband and I are in San Diego, we are staying at the Hacienda again!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Its a large, sprawling complex so if you can get on the first level close to the lobby, it'll be...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryanaguinaldo, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hacienda Hotel Old Town, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for your stay! Yes, we are in a great location here in beautiful Old Town. We always appreciate hearing the delight of guests like you, visiting for the first time and feeling they made a great lodging choice. This area is truly special and we take pride in being able to offer an inviting hospitality experience that matches the old world ambiance. Come back and see us again soon!

825 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

In March I reserved a suite for myself, my husband and our 4 year old granddaughter. When I made the reservation they asked if it was business/pleasure and the age of the child travelling. We love the Old Town area and the looks of the hotel from the street. We checked in to our room and were put on the 2nd floor (no elevator). After struggling up the stairs with our bags we found a narrow walkway with what looked like a huge covered gas grill right in the middle. As it turns out it was the housekeeping cart and it is covered and left there permanently. Still undaunted we entered our room and found a teeny tiny sitting area/kitchen/2nd bedroom (sofa bed). Down the very narrow hall was the dressing area with a small vanity, single sink and big closet. The bathroom was clean but very old and I must admit I was extremely turned off by the peeling bathtub...Still, we had some separation so our granddaughter could sleep early while we had some time without cartoons. We soon discovered that wasn't going to be a problem since this hotel did not subscribe to a cable network that carried one single childrens channel. I decided to log into the internet and let her watch some shows on my computer...We had not received a password at check in and nothing I did would allow me to connect. I called the front desk and the nice young man came to our room and told me the password. I got logged on but the only place the wifi would work was right at the desk in the sitting area. Then it was so slow that the movie would time out before it loaded. By that time I was fed up with the entire hassle and we called the front desk and told them we would be leaving the following morning. The same nice young man said he was sorry and asked if there was anything he could do. At the time we didn't think so.

The following morning (4:00 AM to be exact) the garbage truck pulled up outside our bedroom window and was there for 15 or 20 minutes. Then at 5:15 the food delivery trucks started pulling up outside our bedroom and they ran their engines from 5:15 until 9:00. Needless to say...no sleep. My husband was pretty upset and as soon as he was dressed he went downstairs to check us out. When he told the girl at the front desk about the garbage and delivery trucks she informed him that they usually put business guests in those rooms..really? I'm pretty sure business guests don't want to be awakened at 4am. When he told her we were there on a pleasure trip she just shrugged. As he worked his way back to our room he decided to see what the rest of the property looked like. He was stunned to find a very nice courtyard area, roomy hallways, elevators, views of Old Town and/or the pool.

We would NEVER book a room at a Best Western again. It is simply too hit and miss. We moved that morning to the Homewood Suites at Liberty Station where we had a real suite with a large kitchen, nice bathroom, staff who couldn't do enough to make our stay enjoyable and a full, complementary breakfast as well as a beautiful view of the water.

Room Tip: Don't know what rooms are better but for sure the rooms in Building 7 are AWFUL!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your feedback. On behalf of our team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. I can address a few of your concerns here and I also would like to invite you to feel free to reach out to any member of our leadership team, including myself, if you would like to discuss any aspect of your stay in more detail. First, as your husband noticed we do offer a variety of room styles throughout our property. The mini-suites you described staying in though, are all located in the same building. Also worth noting is that we have started working with the restaurants and businesses below with regards to their delivery and trash times. Most days this is not an issue anymore, but we are not 100% there yet. For the benefit of any members planning travel, feel free to contact us to explore all your room options and ask any questions about our area or property amenities. We are here every day to serve you! Thank you again for giving us this opportunity to respond to you and letting us know you were able to find accommodation that satisfied you. I will pass along your compliments to William at the Front Desk for warm and responsive service and look forward to hearing from you.
Grantsville, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

It is very nice to find a high quality hotel at an affordable price. We arrived at Best Western Hacienda after a week of staying at expensive hotels where we had many problems that had left me sleep deprived. "William" at the front desk was very kind, friendly and helpful at helping us find some rooms where I could finally get some sleep. He listened to all my concerns and did what he could to help our stay be enjoyable. We were staying at this hotel because I had extended family staying here for a wedding. My room, my kids rooms, and all the rooms I saw with extended family in it were clean, comfortable and roomy. The hotel is adorable and is in a great location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your family’s experience while staying with us at the Best Western PLUS Hacienda Hotel Old Town! We know how important a good night’s sleep is and are happy that is what you found here, with thanks to William. I look forward to sharing your comments with him. We hope another special occasion brings you back soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed for five nights and enjoyed the location - this is our second time at the hotel - I had requested a room with a view and received it - the parking is tight so we kept checking on our car when we would return to the hotel to make sure no one had hit it - the hotel is right in the middle of Old Town and right near our favorite places to eat and drink - we will definitely return to the hotel when we receive another great offer on their rates - they have an on site restaurant/lounge and the drinks are wonderful - great drink and appetizer prices during Happy Hour.

Room Tip: If you don't want to climb a lot of steps or rely on elevators ask for one of the lower level bu...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the giving us this great review, highlighting our convenient location in Old Town! I am pleased to hear that our team took care of your request and that your vehicle was safe with us. We sincerely enjoy having the opportunity to serve you while in San Diego!
Imperial Beach, California, Usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

The room was clean and the staff was friendly. The way the rooms were set up made it easy to get turned around and lost. Because we got the managers special are breakfast was not included. I feel that happen because it was a full restaurant and not a buffet. I have stayed at other Best Western and that has never happened. I was very disappointed.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your sharing your experience. We never want anyone leaving our hotel feeling disappointed so for that, I am sorry. Regarding your question about breakfast, we offer a complimentary breakfast for those that book directly on the hotel’s website as well as AAA/AARP guests. We apologize for any inconvenience caused to you. If you would like add anything to your review or discuss anything further, please contact me through the hotel. I would welcome the opportunity to answer any questions you may have and hopefully win another chance to secure your loyalty! Thank you again.
Palm Springs, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Nice little hotel in the old Town area of San Diego. The hotel is very pretty and has a great old town feel. The rooms were clean and tidy. our room had a nice view of the ocean in the distance but I don't think many of the rooms do. Parking was the biggest draw back as the few parking spaces were very small and I worried not only about getting a spot. (I always did get one) I also worried an inferior driver would hit my car trying to maneuver in the tight area (no one did hit me) Awesome location love old town and well all of San Diego.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for this very nice review! I agree that some of the spots in our garages are for smaller cars and we’re thankful your car was safe while parked with us. The parking garages are managed by an outside company and the size of the spots are determined by standards throughout San Diego. For the benefit of members planning travel with us, we would like to invite you to contact the hotel directly with any parking and transportation questions. Because of our prime location, there are many options. Thank you again for leaving this quality feedback and we look forward to your next visit!
City of Angels
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This was my 6th stay at this particular hotel in 4 years. I choose it for its convenience. It is located amid Old Town San Diego; has great rooms; nice ambiance; short walk to historic sites, restaurants, my favorite crystal shop, & trolly; and very nice views.

The staff was so much nicer and willing to accommodate our needs than before: I booked early online and due to my knee, I requested a Plaza Room, but was given a room accessible only by stairs.... it took them quite awhile, but they did move us to Plaza level room.

Breakfast is included, but I suggest their Sunday Old Town restaurant, the food is poor as is the service.....

William, and the two young women who helped me were wonderful.... I'm sorry I have forgotten your names Jeanne & Petra (?)

What I ABSOLUTELY Do Not like is the $14 per night Parking Fee..... Hades, the sign out front for non-guests was $10! Not to mention the fact, because there was an event, they "over-booked" the Hotel & the lot was full, the few empty spaces against the walls were waaaaaaaay too small for my suv and the remaining Empty spaces were for the Restaurant upstairs! I might just start parking on the street....saving myself $$$

I also do Not like the $7 per night "Resort Fee".... Lets face it this is not a "Resort" it is an very nice hotel.... So you get water for 2, coffee, wi-fi, shampoo/conditioner & soap for 1, and a news paper..... We used the shampoo but had to ask for more.

My request to the hotel: Refillable shampoo/conditioner/shower gel containers that are mounted on the wall of the shower.... Refillable bottles of hand soap & 2.2 oz give-away of body lotion.

Room Tip: Plaza level rooms are easier to access.....
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for this recent feedback. I am thrilled to hear our service exceeded your last visit and can’t wait to share your comments with the team. I also appreciate your feedback on the parking and resort fee and suggestions for the in-room amenities. We are always seeking ways to improve the guest experience. Please let me know if you need any assistance during your future stays. We are here to serve you!

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Hacienda Hotel Old Town? Share your experiences!