“2013 visit” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #72 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Des Moines, Washington, Usa
“2013 visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We always enjoy our stay at the Hacienda Hotel. We will probably return in a few years. The room was OK, but the TV position left something to be desired. The TV was difficult ot operate. But we did ok

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Ryanaguinaldo, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hacienda Hotel Old Town, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for the excellent rating and letting us know you will return for a future visit! As a Best Western Traveler familiar with our hotel, you feedback is important. I will review your TV suggestions with our management team. We want to make sure we are maximizing the space in each room, so I appreciate it. Please let me know if there is anything I can assist you with on your return trip. And be sure to call ahead so we can welcome you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Was on vacation in San Diego and decided to spend the last two days in downtown SD. We picked this place, the description and location appeared to be interesting and attractive. The publicity around old town was also a seller! I am happy that i used my points to stay at this place. We had a room with a view to the city... The airport! The location is in fact right in old town. Is it necessary? Not really. Old town is okay place but not a place to spend two days. The hotel is old style ( cowboy) and its huge. They have other buildings located few streets from the main lobby. The furniture in the roo is not that great.. I would describe this place to be a bit old age or old style. You feel lie you are somewhere in mexico in the 1900...
Anyway, here is my two cents...
Location: right in the middle of old town. Walking distance from hotel.
Signage: very easy to find by car or on foot. The BW sign outside indicate the location very well.
Service: we had a very good service. The front girls were awesome.
Price: i find this a bit pricy... I would look for somewhere else.. Or another BW close by
Room: old style, no queen just double bed.. Small bathroom, old style shower, requires update..
Breakfast: not included of course...
So, unless u realy want to be in o,d town for whatever reason i would suggest but if not, book somewhere else...
G

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryanaguinaldo, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hacienda Hotel Old Town, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for choosing Best Western PLUS Hacienda Hotel Old Town for the last two days of your stay. Although this was not your favorite part of the city, we are glad you found our location to be convenient (and easy to find) and service very good. For those that want to adventure beyond the Old Town historical area, we offer a complimentary shuttle to San Diego International Airport, San Diego Cruise Terminal, Amtrak, Marine Core Recruit Depot and Old Town Trolley Station. Thank you again for your review and loyalty to Best Western!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I was so surprised when I checked in to this property. It's spread-out with several low-rise buildings and spacious lawns and a nice pool. It has the relaxed air of a beach resort, but it's in the heart of a huge city!

It's no luxury hotel, but my room was spacious, clean and well furnished. The look of the place is a bit dated, which didn't bother me a bit - if modern design is your thing, this hotel's not for you.

I bought up to a room category with a panorama view, and I'm glad I did - great view across the city to the bay. But note that this meant my room was at the far end of the property up a big hill, so I wouldn't recommend it for anyone with mobility issues.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, mentioning the many benefits of staying with us including the garden-like setting, pool and room décor. We hope you were comfortable with your room location too. We are spread out over the hillside but have rooms on the first floor level as well. Also, six of our eight buildings have elevators for convenience. Feel free to contact me before you next San Diego adventure if I can assist you with any special requests!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Always saw this location and never stayed...what a wonderful experience! Felt like we were staying in an early California hacienda (all updated of course) and the location is almost in the middle of the famous "Old Town", walk to lots of places and short ride to downtown or Marina. Everything was terrific, especially the service from the front desk staff...Everyone one of them was happy and helpful. Must be a nice place to work and it shows...We'll be back for sure to this gem.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for the compliments on our Old Town San Diego charm. Our property was designed to match the lovely historical style of the area. We sincerely enjoyed having you as our guest and look forward to your return.
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Great location in San Diego, right in the heart of Old Town. Trolley Station close by and nice and
quite. Staff was excellent and very accomodating, clean rooms and very updated.

Value for the price was excellent and available when the rest of San Diego was booked solid.

Room Tip: Ask for Building 4, a little walk but away from the street and front desk.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us! We are proud to have earned your loyalty with our prime location, excellent staff, clean rooms and great value. We look forward to your next stay in San Diego!
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Let's start with the pros: nice airport shuttle service and great driver from Brazil, good location if you want to explore Old Town, they gave me (eventually) a voucher for free breakfast+free dinner+two free drinks. My last day there, I also had (finally) some pleasant interaction with the staff.

Cons, however, abound. Upon entering the room, I was repeatedly struck by how dated the furnishings were. Tables, couches, bath, toilet all from the 1970s. Many of the wooden materials (i.e. arguably 'hacienda style') were scratched and made me feel like they were bought from a garage sale. The bed was hard, but as I like that, so it worked well for me -- but I doubt it would work for everyone. The pillows (there were four) were incredibly lumpy and it was a real effort to find something that could work.

There were also a few service incidents that surprised me. First, the maid service didn't come until close to 4pm, which was useless for me as I had to get ready for an event then. Second, after I checked in, the front desk called me to tell me they'd forgotten to give me my meal vouchers; but as I was going to bed I told them I'd pick them up in the morning. When I went to collect them in the morning, the front desk was surprised and treated me a bit like I was lying. But perhaps it was because of the next incident I am about to relay that happened immediately before I asked for the vouchers. Third, there was a customer immediately in front of me who was checking out, and there was some sort of a disagreement with the management. The line I heard him say was, "I understand your position but I do not agree with it." As he was leaving, the woman at the front desk called him a "jerk". Wow. I was shocked. I can appreciate that you do not always like your customers, but please -- learn to hold your tongue. It's not professional to actually insult your customers verbally in front of other customers.

A note on the gym. The equipment is nice. There isn't that much of it, so consider getting in early. But not too early. When I went at 6am (when it opens), it was actually closed. They were good about immediately sending a security guard to sort things out.

As a last point, I've seen other reviews commenting about the stairs. Please take this point seriously. If you don't like stairs, beware. There are a lot of them; and in a way that I have never experienced at another hotel that I've ever stayed at. Good thing I like stairs. Just not with bags. One morning I saw an older couple on the third level really struggling to get down.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Ryanaguinaldo, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hacienda Hotel Old Town, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for your helpful feedback. I am disheartened to read about the several low points during your recent stay with us. Your review was published a bit later, so please forgive me if there seemed to be a delay between your comments and my response. First, I would like to thank you for pointing out our location, shuttle service and exercise room as positive points of your visit. You also mentioned our staff was immediately responsive when you inquired about the gym. That being said, I want to sincerely apologize for the unprofessionalism you described at the front desk. We do strive to provide the height of gracious service and as a result of your feedback, we are reviewing our procedures and service mission statement with our team. Although we do receive many compliments on our staff, cleanliness and room decor, we are committed to providing a positive and aesthetically pleasing hospitality experience that addresses the timing and needs of every guest. Thank you again for giving us the opportunity to address your concerns and improve our hotel.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Hacienda Hotel Old Town? Share your experiences!