“This is our third visit! Not fancy, but fabulous!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Sea Beach Hotel

You added Blue Sea Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Blue Sea Beach Hotel
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   707 Pacific Beach Drive, San Diego, CA 92109 (Formerly Best Western Blue Sea Lodge) (Mission Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
20% Off Midweek Exclusive
Ranked #36 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Albuquerque
“This is our third visit! Not fancy, but fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010

This was our third visit to the Blue Sea Lodge on Pacific Beach. During the off-season it's quiet and relaxing. We felt like we had the motel and beach to ourselves. Yes, it's crowded and pretty noisy during the summer months, but we left our door open to the beach all night during this visit and heard very little noise.

Service is terrific. We checked in early without a problem. Our room was a bit small and they moved us to a larger one on the second floor right away. This place isn't fancy or glamorous, but if you're looking for a great place to stay that's right on the beach and close to lots of restaurants, bars, and things to do, you'll love it!

Our room was equipped with a microwave and small refrigerator. There is a grocery store and liquor store within walking distance. My husband enjoyed sitting out on the balcony, drinking his beer, and watching the people go by.

We didn't even bother to rent a car because there are so many things to do within walking distance. If you bring a car, they do charge for parking.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Syracuse, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

Great Location, very clean,updated rooms, comfortable beds, Friendly staff. Only one drawback....If you're going to sleep with your balcony door open(it's ocean side) plan on a little noise. All in all a great place to stay....and really good in room coffee.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Apple Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

I loved the pool and hot tub. It was right on the beach. We had just a glass wall between the the sand and sea. People would walk by and be so jealous giggle!! It was close to the pier and very romantic places to eat!! LOVED the hotel very nice rooms and wonderful staff!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
BlueSeaLodgeAGM, Guest Relations Manager at Blue Sea Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2011
Greetings and may I say Wow!,

We made you feel like a "Movie Star" this is an amazing compliment especially in an industry that prides itself on customer service. I have already shared your review with my team and it definitely brought a smile to everyone’s face, thank you.
We all look forward to serving you the next time you make your way to the San Diego Beach Area.

Assistant General manager
Norco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

Had a wonderful stay! Staff was more than helpful! Hotel has a beautiful location, just walk out on to the beach. Incredible view! I would recommend Blue Sea lodge to friends and family.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the kind words and thank you for going out of your way to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I love your reviews title "Amazing Hotel" this really stands out on our Trip Advisor site and helps tell prospective guests what we are all about. Thanks again and we look forward to serving you the next time you are in San Diego.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

I'm generally not that picky about rooms when I travel by myself. To me, on this trip being within visual distance of the ocean was more important than the room and amenities. My only request I made through the Wyndam Rewards website was not to put me on the first floor.
I arrived an hour before check in time, and the front desk hostess promptly checked me in anyway.
I was put on the first floor, Room 106. I was surprised that this room was even available given that the room across from me was partially demolished, the lower half of the walls in the hallway had drywall removed, with exposed studs, and the carpet in the hall and up to my door was covered with cardboard duct-taped to the walls and threshold. My balcony/patio opened up to a lovely ground level view of the parking lot.
I was pretty much in disbelief at the whole situation.
I approached the hostess (Melissa I think), and asked for a different room. She was very accommodating and immediately found an upper level room (352) which was an upgrade for me at no additional cost. She saved the day.
The rest of the staff were uniformly friendly and personable, including housekeeping.
The "partial view" rooms are exactly that. I was able to watch the sunset and see the ocean waves by sitting catty-corner on my balcony and looking between the buildings.
The tropical decor wasn't something I'd choose (the inside chairs were stiff and uncomfortable, there were 2 paintings of the same thing), but there were little things that I could really appreciate (Oxygenics shower head with outstanding pressure, bottle opener in the bathroom, extra pillows, bottled water, ironing board, plenty of hand towels, decent coffee). There were a few minor annoyances (roof construction next door, the door lock wasn't responsive, the TV remote buttons were sticky) but it was a quiet, spacious, and comfortable room.
The pool was a little crowded and felt a bit enclosed due to the glass windbreaks but appeared well maintained. Parking was $15/day. There is an excellent and popular beachfront restaurant (World Famous) across the parking lot with very reasonable prices that I ate breakfast at twice.
The boardwalk spans several miles back and forth and gave me about an hour of brisk exercise daily, the sunsets were stunning, Mission Beach was clean, and there are plenty of convenience stores and restaurants nearby.
I would stay at this hotel again but probably not for a special event like an anniversary. I felt like all the provisions I needed were there, it was weathered but clean, and the staff warmed the place up. Overall a nice, hassle-free experience and I enjoyed myself.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Greetings and thank you for your detailed and positive review,

Our entire team including myself can really appreciate the time you took to write this review as you do a great job painting a picture of our hotel and what we offer. Your description is clearly well thought out breaking down all of the positives that come along with staying at our hotel while at the same time mentioning the areas of opportunity that we can improve upon. In regards to the construction that was taking place on the 1st floor of our North Tower I do apologize that you were not told about this prior to check-in. We have been pointing out these renovations to all of our guests who are assigned rooms in this part of the property and giving them the option to stay elsewhere depending on their feelings toward the construction. I am happy to hear that our staff was able to quickly remedy the situation and get you into another room in time to enjoy a beautiful sunset!

Thank you again for your review and I look forward to personally welcoming you back to the Blue Sea Lodge during your next visit to San Diego.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

This is our third visit to Pacific Beach San Diego in the last ten years. Stayed at this hotel each time. This is a great place to stay; not fancy but can't beat the location and the friendly helpful staff. If you like beach and boardwalk this is it. Great local dining and shopping, sun and surf. Seem like the hotel is being well cared for as the room we stayed in was fresh and appeared fairly new. The pool and hot tub are terrific especially after a swim in the ocean. Lots to do, local bike rentals, walking, surf board rentals and did I say sun. Close to San Diego just a short drive to Old Town, airport, Gas Lamp district, Point Loma and La Jolla a great base of operations for lot of fun.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
BlueSeaLodgeAGM, Guest Relations Manager at Blue Sea Beach Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the phenomenal review! You really went out of your way to highlight all of the best aspects of our hotel, this is much appreciated. I will be sure to share your review with my entire staff front desk and housekeeping alike. Thanks again and when you decide to take your fourth trip to Pacific Beach please keep us in mind.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

We were a little apprehensive about this hotel simply because it was a Best Western. On our two week road trip (staying at a few full service Hiltons along the way), this was the best by far! Best location, Best staff friendliness and Best value. The guestrooms were a little dated, but who cares when you're beachside. We loved our huge HD flat screen TV. The guest bath was completely renovated and had amenities that were better than those full service hotels. Great location nestled among great restaurants and ocean views. If you can get beyond the fact it's not a Hilton or Marriott, you'll have a great experience. When traveling back to Pacific Beach, we'll definately come back!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

I was thrilled to hear that we were able to change your views about the Best Western Brand. Unfortunately this is a challenge that we are constantly up against… the good news though is this allows us to surprise some of our first time guests and truly exceed their expectations. I also wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. Your review may allow us to reach prospective guests whom otherwise may have chosen to stay at one of the larger full service chains. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you during your next visit to San Diego.

The Best Western Blue Sea Lodge

Been to Blue Sea Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!