“Excellent location, good quality rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Sea Beach Hotel

You added Blue Sea Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Blue Sea Beach Hotel
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   707 Pacific Beach Drive, San Diego, CA 92109 (Formerly Best Western Blue Sea Lodge) (Mission Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save 20% in Pacific Beach
Ranked #25 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Windsor, UK
“Excellent location, good quality rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

Clean and comfortable rooms, great ocean views, excellent location, free parking.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

This is my second stay at the Blue Sea Lodge, and it won't be my last. The location, right on the boardwalk overlooking the beach and the Pacific Ocean, is fantastic. Last time we had an oceanfront room, but this time we decided on a pool view room. My daughter and her friend (20 & 21) loved that we were give a first floor room and we were able to walk right out to the pool. No problem getting lounge chairs and the pool was nice and warm. We had two queen beds for the three of us and the size of the room was great. There is a small sink, fridge, and microwave in the room. We walked two blocks to Ralphs and bought some drinks and snacks to keep in the room.

One of our greatest finds was the Pita Pit. We'd walk up 4 blocks or so and eat lunch there. Loved it. We also ate at Joe's Crab shack (yummy crab legs) and the Ale House. Both are on the boardwalk, a couple of blocks away.

The hotel is located in a great location on the boardwalk. Close to places to eat and fantastic views. This is a great hotel for families with kids.

The staff at the hotel make your stay very enjoyable. If you need anything, just ask. They are very accommodating. Special thanks to Jen at the front desk for going above and beyond helping me to print my boarding passes when I was having difficulties.

Can't wait for our next trip to San Diego and the Blue Sea Lodge !!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
BlueSeaLodgeAGM, Guest Relations Manager at Blue Sea Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2010
Greetings from The Best Western Blue Sea Lodge!

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. I have printed and posted your comments in our back office so that my entire staff can see that their efforts are truly paying off. Sometimes positive reinforcement in the form a customer review can go a long way in motivating a team to continue in their pursuit of delivering superior service. The pursuit of excellence in all aspects of life is something that I try to preach on a daily basis. It is my hope that this mentality rubs off on my team members helping them achieve their goals both personal and professional.

Moving forward I want to thank you again. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your poolside room as these are some of my favorite rooms on property. Being able to stroll through your patio door and lounge poolside is my idea of calm and relaxation. It also sounds like you had the opportunity to explore some of the local area. Pacific Beach has so much to offer and judging from your review you had a chance to sample a couple of the local favorites in The Pita Pit and P.B. Ale House. Next time you are staying with us stop by the front desk and ask for Jason. I would be more than happy to recommend some of the secret gems of San Diego’s Beach Area.

In closing we appreciate your efforts and on behalf of my entire team we look forward to serving you during your next visit to San Diego!

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

I went on a business trip and had an excellent stay at the Blue Sea, I have been to MANY hotels all over the north western and south western united states and only had one stay that was as good as this one. The rooms were nice and clean, the beds were comfortable, and the shower/bath was huge and clean. I enjoyed sitting out on the balcony and having coffee in the morning as well as relaxing after work in the evening. It has been years since I have been able to go for an evening swim in the ocean (the pool looked nice but I like the sea) also it is close to lots of good places to eat within walking distance and last but certainly not least, the staff was very accomodating and frendly and when I had a problem with registering on line (my fault) the magement went out of there way to fix things to my satisfaction and these days that is truely rare. Since I stayed there I have made many bookings there for colleagues and they have always returned more than satisfied. When I go to San Diego I only stay at Best Western Blue Sea, and for the price you can not go wrong.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
new jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for four nights while visiting San Diego. I chose this hotel based on its Tripadvisor rating and I was a bit dissapointed. It's not that the hotel was a poor choice so much as I was expecting more based on other's reviews. Considering its age the hotel is well maintained and clean. The people at the front desk, while friendly, did not seem too confident in their knowledge of the area. For instance, when I asked where we could get a quick bite for lunch as soon as we checked in I was almost steered to a location two miles away when I found a number of eateries right across the street! Parking was extra and I had to ask them for a break on the charge which they arranged, thankfully. The area was perfect based on the places we had planned on visiting....central to everywhere. I wouldn't steer anyone away from staying here by any means....just don't expect too much and appreciate its cleaniness and location (as well as the views provided you get an oceanfront room).

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

The only thing good that I can mention is the view and location. When checking in late evening, there was no one at the desk and I had to call for someone several times. This person was flat and not very welcoming.

He offered no information about the facility unless I asked. We had to lug 4 large pieces of luggage up a flight of stairs to get to the elevator, so that we can get to the second floor. The rooms are across the alley from the lobby.

Way overpriced, even if it is right on the beach. For the price, parking should be included. The Beach front was full of Seaweeds, not sure if anything could be done about that.

Now comes the real issues. At night there is an entrance door that is always slamming. Loudly. The hottub smelled like someone was getting a perm. The room description claims that the rooms are spacious, however our room was not. It was very cramped.

The tub was not clean and the nonslip strips were coming undone. During the whole time that we were there, I didn't dare take a bath or let my 5 year old take one, so he had to have his first showers and was not to happy.

I crossed the alley to seek help with parking on my last night there and there was no one there. The lights were out and the phone was ringing. The night before, I needed change for the laundry, had to wait until someone showed up. Then turns out that change was not available. I will not stay there again. Oh, and we had dinner at the restaurant across the parking lot. Was excellent, however, my daughter and I got diarhhea later...think it was the clam chowder. Beds were comfortable

When I came back to work and asked where I lodged, I was embarrased to even mention this place.

I brought this to the attention of the manager and he gave me $50 off, for a three night stay bill of over $600.00.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
staten Island New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

When I first arrived I was a bit turned off that the facility did not have a resturant or lounge...But I soon Forgave them because there were so many other amenities to make up for the Missing "On Site Food !" The Hotel was Clean ..Friendly ...and the veiw was more than I hoped for ! I watched the locals ride bikes ...surf in the Ocean ...and just enjoy the surrooundings There are great resturants right across the street ..Tony Roma as well as numerous palces to eat long the stretch of beach..and a Starbucks two blocks over !!! You can easily walk to the local entertainment areas and not worry about having a few drinks ...becasue you can safley walk back to your hotel ! The staff and the manager were extxremly friendly and accomidating ...and they happily provide you with written directions to where ever you need to go . There is local transportation (Bus) about three blocks away which you can take up to La Jolla to see the Sea Lions and Beached Seals at Childrens Pool. I also visited teh San Diego Zoo ...about a 20 minute car ride (Taxis are waiting outside the hotel almost constantly ..so No wiating ) The Zoo was awesome !! I also took a 25 minute ride to Historical San Diego Gas Light area ...and that was amazing !!! Great resturants ...The Padres Home Field ..Hard Rock Cafe ...I would definitley recommend this Best Western ,....YOu will have a Fabulous Visit !!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
BlueSeaLodgeAGM, Guest Relations Manager at Blue Sea Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2010
Greetings from the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge,

Thank you for going out of your way to critique our hotel on Trip Advisor. Trip Advisor has become one of the premier locations online that vacationers visit before confirming their accommodations. Your review, with any luck, will be read by hundreds of potential visitors to the San Diego Area hopefully influencing some of their decisions to stay with us. I have to say that I personally loved your description of our property and was happy to hear how much you were able to accomplish during your visit to San Diego. It sounds like you managed to fit in almost all of San Diego’s best attractions while at the same time still finding time to relax and enjoy beautiful Pacific Beach, Well Done!

One thing that I wanted to mention from your review was your initial concern about the hotel not having its own restaurant. This same feeling of concern is often shared by guests staying at our property for the first time. Fortunately most find that our close proximity to all of Pacific Beach’s finest restaurants more than makes up for the hotel not having an onsite food and beverage facility. With that said I want to be sure to point out that breakfast is offered in our lobby café from 6:30 to 1pm for the convenience of our guests.

In closing thank you again for taking the time to review The Best Western Blue Sea Lodge on Trip Advisor. On behalf of our entire guest services team we look forward to serving you during your next visit to sunny San Diego.

San Diego Sea World
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

This hotel was amazing! Everything was so clean and neat. The staff were so knowledgeable and friendly. The location is perfect. It is affordable and so perfect! It is comfortable and spacious. We had the best vacation ever!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
My staff and I are so happy to hear that you had “the best vacation ever” while staying with us at The Blue Sea Lodge. We like to believe that by personalizing our service and adding a smile that we can truly help change a good vacation into a timeless memory. I hope that this was the case and judging from your review we did help play a part in making your vacation more memorable.
Thank you for taking the time to follow up with us and post your review on Trip Advisor. As I have mentioned numerous times in past responses, Trip Advisor has become one of the best places to research hotel properties before booking a reservation. My team and I always appreciate guests taking time out of their busy schedules to let us know that we delivered on what we promised and exceeded their expectations. Thank you again and we look forward to serving you during your next visit to Pacific Beach, San Diego.

Assistant General Manager

Been to Blue Sea Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!