“I can hear the ocean all nite and great support from staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Sea Beach Hotel

You added Blue Sea Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Blue Sea Beach Hotel
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   707 Pacific Beach Drive, San Diego, CA 92109 (Formerly Best Western Blue Sea Lodge) (Mission Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
20% Off Midweek Exclusive
Ranked #36 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Albuquerque
“I can hear the ocean all nite and great support from staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

I was so pleased to really be right on the ocean, the town car was waiting for me at the airport even tho my arrival was very early, they had a room ready for me, knowing I was coming so early and not making me have to store all my luggage behind the front desk until 12 noon was surprisingly thoughtful. I found out after I arrived at the lobby that there was supposed to be a fee associated with the car ride but it was waived when I'm sure I looked surprised and mentioned that the free shuttle service was one of the reasons I choose the hotel. I was ready to pay, but the person in charge that day said it would be taken care of and wanted to know which website I had booked with. Today, I had a computer crisis, one that started last night. Melissa, is the nite clerk, and she is so helpful and happy to be helpful. she really deserves a raise, as she helped me last night with computer stuff--not even in her job description I'm sure, but was so kind, made some phone calls to get more advce, etc. She made me feel as if nothing was too much trouble. And the computer got up and running. We decided to just leave it on...
No luck with that, so this morning down to the front desk I go and I'm told the Radio Shack isn't too far and they are willing to look at it. Well, it was quite a walk, but I got there only to find I would be purchasing a new laptop at Staples across the street. I stop at Ralph's (local grocery store that is very close 4-5 blocks, 10 minute walk/stroll and this is great as your room has a fridge, sink and microwave) on the way back and consider buying my own bottle of tequila... As I stroll in to the lobby I menton that that was quite a jaunt you sent me on, all three woman behind the counter had dropped jaws and truly surprised looks. They thought I had a car! I was offered a taxi when I needed to go back and pick up my new down-loaded computer. I asked the ball-park cost of that and the manager, Catherine B. spoke right up and said she would be happy to drive me over when the store called back. How nice is that I ask you? She piped right up and said her job was to help me enjoy my stay, all aspects of my stay. I have to say that between Melissa and Catherine, I could have had a bad association with my stay here, but I only have great things to say about the location, the friendly (over used I know, but really, happy friendliness, not the kind that you know 'it's just their job to act like they care) assistance with a problem that was really none of their responsibility makes me want this hotel to continue to be a success and popular. The boardwalk is right off the pool area and there are plenty of local places to eat within a five minute walk, bike rentals, surf board rentals, lots to do and a few touristy shops as well; T-shirts, beach chairs, etc.
The pirce for this great stay was so very reasonable--I thought I could never afford to stay 'on the beach', but this hotel did exactly that. Don't hesitate to book your stay here.
Thanks again to Melissa and Manager Catherine B.--you both deserve a raise, as Ihave no doubt you treat everyone this well all the time.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
BlueSeaLodgeAGM, Jason Templer, Assistant General Manager at Blue Sea Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2010
Thank you so much for the great review. It is guests like you that make all the difference in the world. Your kind words and overall satisfaction is what makes working in the hospitality industry worthwhile to me and my associates. As the new Assistant General Manager of Best Western Blue Sea Lodge it is good to know that my staff truly does care about our guests. Beyond this your review proves that they are 100% capable of delivering exceptional customer service. Moving forward I promise you that it will be my goal as AGM to keep my staff motivated and focused so that every guest leaves our hotel as happy and satisfied as you did. Thank you again for sharing your review with Trip Advisor and please be sure to contact me directly the next time you plan on visiting beautiful San Diego.

Best Western Blue Sea Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Bremerton, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

This hotel has been personally utilized for business and personal travel for many years. The location is absolutely ideal for easy walking distance access to the beach, fine or casual dining and a wide variety of entertainment in the area. The hotel easily fulfills the needs of the business traveler, as well as, those families with children or adults seeking an enjoyable, relaxing vacation. The management and entire staff are very friendly, knowledgeable and willing to accommodate all of the traveler's needs. Their keen recognition of those common needs and desire to satisfy makes them a facility you'll want to utilize on every trip to the San Diego area.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your recent visit to The Best Western Blue Sea Lodge. You are one of the few guests who has taken the time to review our property on Trip Advisor and I want to be sure that you understand how much we appreciate you. As a hospitality manager working in the San Diego market it is extremely important to have reviews available on Trip Advisor to help prospective guests make their final travel decisions. Positive reviews such as yours help paint a picture for our guests of what they can expect once they arrive at our property. Panoramic ocean views and a central location are just two of our strengths that you highlighted and once again this is much appreciated.
I hope to be able to personally welcome you back to the Blue Sea Lodge during your next visit and should you need to contact me or my staff please do not hesitate.

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

My sister and brother-in-law came to visit from South Dakota, just before the snow storm hit back there. We stayed at our favorite hotel, Best Western, ocean view, close to restaurants, great people watching, etc. My husband and I always enjoy staying at that Best Western and it was fun to entertain our company at the beach! We had great rooms, the staff is so nice, and we couldn't have had a better time. I highly recommend the Best Western for a weekend get away, or I'd spend a week there any time!

• Stayed January 2010
BlueSeaLodgeAGM, Assistant General Manager at Blue Sea Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2010
Greetings,

Thank you for going out of your way to review The Best Western Blue Sea Lodge. It is always great to hear from our valued guests especially those who truly enjoyed their stays. It is guests like you who make working in the hospitality industry worthwhile and I look forward to meeting you the next time you visit your “favorite hotel”. I am glad that you were able to bring your family out to San Diego to beat what I have heard was a brutal Mid-West winter. Hopefully they were all able to enjoy our trademark Southern California sunshine and forget about shoveling for at least a couple of days. Thanks again and I wish you the best in your future travels.

Yours in Hospiatlity,

East Rutherford, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

Our stay started out bad and end good. Its a gamble on getting a decent room here.

Our first night we were put in a room on the first floor and close to the "boardwalk" quotes on board because its concrete. Anyway we dropped our bags and went out for the night, didn't really inspect the room, so when we got back i quickly realized the AC was broke, the lock on the patio door was broken and the microwave didn't work. It was late and wasn't that hot so we decide to open the door and deal with it in the morning. Unfortunately through out the night, drunks would be hoping through our patio trying to get to the beach, a little unsettling to wake up in the middle of the night and see someone stumbling through your patio. Next morning i complained about these things and they sent some one to replace the microwave and look at the AC. They could not fix the AC and the door was still broken. I asked to be moved at this point, honestly i shouldn't have had to ask with some many things going wrong.

Here comes the good, They gave me a choice of two rooms one being an ocean front room on the second floor with a flat screen tv and a great view, I quickly took that one, they didn't charge me for the upgrade and the rest of the stay was great. People watching on the boardwalk is wonderful. Parking is really safe as well, its in a gated underground parking garage so I felt the car was safe.

If you are staying here DO NOT STAY ON GROUND FLOOR. Ocean view rooms are great. Price and location are good as well, many other hotels on the beach front cost much more. Its a short walk to a lot of the nightlife and plenty of restaurants near by.

One last thing, the pool and hot tub are not clean at all. Pool was filled with sand and the hot tub had bird droppings and hair in it. Kinda Gross!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
BlueSeaLodgeAGM, Assistant General Manager at Blue Sea Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2010
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor and share your thoughts with us. At the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge we strive to consistently exceed guest expectations. Unfortunately judging from your response it does not seem that you walked away 100% satisfied after your last stay with us. In regards to the problems that you experienced I want to take this chance to apologize. One of the downfalls of being so close to the ocean and boardwalk are the inconsiderate people who are sometimes drawn to the area. I completely understand your feelings and I am happy that you brought this to the attention of the front desk. This allowed us to not only move you to a nicer room on a higher floor but it also will allow us to focus more energy on security insuring that future guests do not experience the same type of problems that you did. Moving forward I will also be sure to forward your review to our engineering and maintenance department. I certainly hope that the damaged AC and sliding door where isolated to your room but just in case I want engineering to be proactive in identifying similar problems so that they are fixed prior to guest check-in.

Thank you again for your review. Constructive criticism is extremely important in the hospitality industry and is one of the main reasons sites like Trip Advisor exist. Your review pointed out some concerns which we have all ready taken into consideration. I hope in the future you will again choose the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge for your hotel needs.

Dayton, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

We finished our family California vacation in San Diego with two rooms at the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge. The rooms were clean and well laid out with a fridge, coffee maker (with an excellent local Santa Barbara blend of coffee) and microwave. The beach is steps away and the pool area with lounge chairs right at the boardwalk was very nice. Pacific Beach was a perfect location for our San Diego trip, close to Sea World and the downtown area. The front desk staff was very helpful. We enjoyed our stay and would return when in San Diego.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2009

Was searching for ocean front accomodation for my visit to SD. No help with my timeshare. Lots of options within walking distance to beach, but I needed to "hear" it, and I could, even with a partial view room. Included microwave, small fridge, coffeepot, kitchen sink, free wifi - but bring some plastic utensils.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Davenport, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

The Best Western Blue Sea Lodge is located right in the center of things in Pacific Beach. It's location is right on the beach. While many will find the rooms small and the hotel a bit tired, the location makes it all worth while.
October is on the shoulder of the season. The weather is nice - warm enough for sun and fun in the daytime and cool evenings. And, it never rains this time of year.
The boardwalk in Pacific, Mission Beach goes on for 3-4 miles and offers some of the best bars, restaurants and all around cool vibe. I recommend you rent a bike and experience the area first hand.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Blue Sea Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!