“great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Sea Beach Hotel

You added Blue Sea Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Blue Sea Beach Hotel
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   707 Pacific Beach Drive, San Diego, CA 92109 (Formerly Best Western Blue Sea Lodge) (Mission Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
20% Off Midweek Exclusive
Ranked #36 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
“great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

What a great location. I ended up with a full ocean front room . Only thing between my patio and beach was some bushes and boardwalk
Lively area with resturants and shops, but quiet at night. The pool overlooks the ocean. Breakfast was not the typical hotel fare. The small diner served several fresh options. The room was on the small side but I hung out on the patio or beach so it didn't matter. as a female traveling alone I felt safe. Went for a few days relaxation before a business trip and couldn't have asked for a better experience
Only downsides were the elevator was broken and surf was rough for swimming.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Surprise, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

This is a wonderful beach front hotel with easy access to restaurant along the boardwalk. The employees were awesome and made a wonderful first impression. The front desk staff quickly gave us a key so we could access the restrooms and pool prior to our room being ready. Even though the hotel is older, it was our favorite hotel out of the four we stayed at during our west coast vacation. Our room was clean and well maintained. Fridge and A/C worked very well. We will defiantly stay at the Blue sea Lodge again! Thanks Jennifer C. for assisting in creating wonderful memories.

Room Tip: Ocean View
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ruben G, General Manager at Blue Sea Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and commenting on your recent stay. I am glad to hear that our staff was able to assist you and to help you enjoy your Girls Vacation. I will be sure pass on the “Thanks” to Jennifer C.
Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to you spending your Next Girls Vacation with us!
Raymore, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is a nice beach front hotel in the San Diego area. It's a little dated and the buildings are divided in a odd way. Rooms and ocean view can vary greatly. Parking is expensive and limited. Public parking is very near by if you are able to cat and mouse for an available spot.

The rooms themselves were clean but we went during spring break week and had to deal with trash and bodily fluids in the hallways. The pool wasn't trashed but they never had any pool towels available. The hotel seemed understaffed to deal with it. They were slow to respond but friendly and apologetic.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Bremerton, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The Blue Sea Lodge is located right on the beautiful Pacific Beach boardwalk where you can walk, jog, ride a bike, rollerblade, or jump into the warm ocean water to body board or surf! You may choose to people watch, or take a short walk to one of the many restaurants. The staff at the Blue Sea is very friendly too.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Chandler, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We have stayed at the Blue Sea Lodge many times and always enjoyed the location and nearby restaurants and bars - and this trip was no different. Arriving well before check in time, the front desk staff quickly gave us a key so we could access the restrooms and pool prior to our room being ready. They checked our bag and off we went for lunch and people watching... When time came to check in, we were not happy with the room they wanted to give us so we asked for a different room and were quickly accommodated, no hesitation from the hard working front desk crew. They really were awesome and a wonderful first impression. Our room was clean and well maintained. Fridge and A/C worked very well. Room attendants unobtrusive and efficient. A great stay overall. This location does seem to be more and more "spring break" like, so I am not sure we will make the trip again "in-season" so you may want to take that into consideration when making your lodging decision

Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

The Blue Sea lodge has location to boast about, but we found the rooms to be average. You are definitely paying to be on the beach! Our room was comfortable, but we had room #112, and we had issues with the plumbing. We let the staff know about the problem, but it was not resolved before we had to depart. The issue was sewer gas smell, had to leave the fan on, with the door closed to evacuate the air in the bathroom.
Would have liked to use the hot tub more, but it was always filled with small children, splashing, and so forth. I wish that these upper scale hotels would restrict the hot tub to adults, leaving the pool for the kids to splash in.
The staff was pleasant, and professional. We had charges that posted to our credit card by mistake, and the manager promptly took care of reversing the charges.
All in all, this was a nice place to stay.

Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed Saturday 6/22 - Monday 6/24. I showed up too early on Saturday to check in (2pm), but I was able to request a room closer to the beach, and was able to go ahead and access the parking so I could enjoy my day. I didn't end up checking in until almost midnight, but there was no problem with that. The room was surprisingly big, a queen with a sofa sleeper, and a fridge! Bathroom was clean and I liked the standup shower. The patio was large, and since my room was only one or two from the back (or front) of the hotel, I could see the beach from the seating area on my porch.

The pool area was neat, because it was glassed in from the boardwalk, so while it was windy on the beach, it wasn't if you wanted to lay out (which quite a few people did). The pool was heated, and the hot tub was nice and toasty. I did get kicked out around 5ish cause the cleaning guy looked like he was about to clean up all the sand that had gotten tracked in to the tub and pool area.

The location was perfect! You could access the beach through the backdoor from the pool area, which made it quite convenient to be able to go back and forth between the ocean and your room. There were also many restaurants and bars within close walking distance, so making it back to your room after a night out was a cinch. The highlight was after a night of drinking, the young guy working the front desk (Zach I think?) was extremely helpful in finding some late night dinner for me. There was a pizza place still open and delivering, so he ordered my pizza for me, and after hanging out in the lobby for 20 minutes I was rewarded with a delicious pepperoni pizza at almost 1am on a Sunday night. Thanks Zach!

All in all, this hotel was reasonably priced for the location, and while parking was $18 a day, the underground garage was closed at night (and most of the day from what I saw) so I felt that my car was safe and secure. I would absolutely come back here again for a San Diego beach trip.

Room Tip: South side faces the bushes instead of the parking lot, and the further to the back (west), the clos...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Blue Sea Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!