We stayed here last night, actually, April 3, 2007, a Tuesday night. I had booked thru AAA and failed to specifically request a non-smoking room. That was my fault. The reservation was actually for a city view, but we got a harbor view instead (not complaining) and that kinda made up for being on the smoking floor. We were also just staying for one night before we went to the airport, so smelling the smoke from room next door was tolerable.
1. The harbor view really is very nice, and the Star of India (about three blocks away, I think) is not blocked at all by other buildings. We arrived just before sunset and it was beautiful setting over the harbor.
2. It is less than a 5 minute drive to the airport.
3. It is walking distance to the harbor area and Little Italy.
4. The parking was 7.00/night. From what I've read, this is fairly reasonable for downtown. And it's right next door.
5. I thought the breakfast at the Bayside Grill next door was just fine, with the vouchers. Coffee was only listed with our option of cereal/milk and toast, but when we asked for juice for our daughter, he brought us all a juice at no charge (in addition to our coffee.) Also - the coffee was very good, and my husband and I are really picky about our coffee. We always bring our won for the room coffeemaker.
6. AAA rate for our room was 129/night. Not bad for a harbor view and breakfast.
1. NOISY!!! OMG, even with the windows closed, it was sooo noisy. My 9 yr. old, who normally doesn't even notice urban noise, complained about it. The trolley runs by CONSTANTLY. The Amtrak ran by twice within the first 2 hrs we were there in the evening. A plane flew overhead - really close. The pool was right below our room at ground level - and although we were on the 9th floor, we still heard kids in the pool at 8pm. In the morning, we heard the cruise ships blowing their horns. This was with the windows closed.
2. The TV reception on the 9th floor was awful. ALL OF THE CHANNELS were fuzzy. Not one station was clear. Not one, out of thirty-something channels.
3. Our room was cramped and small, and our bed was uncomfortable - sagged in the middle.
The first two, for me, far outweighed the pros, and I don't think I'd be happy staying at this place for a week, or even a few days. Maybe if I was really on a budget, but I would not want to be in the room for long, even if it was non-smoking.
I would assume that a lot of hotels downtown and by the harbor would be noisy, but I haven't stayed at those, just this one, and, even with the view, I wasn't that impressed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Downtown San Diego, at the south end of the Little Italy the Best Western Plus Bayside Inn is a convenient location for leisure or business travel. We have 122 rooms, all with Balconies and many with views of the San Diego Big Bay or Downtown Skyline. Amenities include a Restaurant serving complimentary breakfast daily and dinner Monday thru Friday. Our Lounge is open daily, Monday to Friday from 4:00pm to 9:00pm. Room Service is available. We have an outdoor heated pook and whirlpool, FREE WI-FI in rooms, pool area, lobby and restaurant for you to stay connected. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, HotelTravel.com, Cheap Tickets, BookIt.com, Priceline and getaroom.com so you can book your BEST WESTERN PLUS Bayside Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel San Diego
- Best Western Bayside Hotel
- Best Western San Diego
- San Diego Best Western