“Great for travelers of all ages!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #79 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Pasadena, California
“Great for travelers of all ages!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Booked two rooms for 2 seniors, 2 adults child & baby. Arrived w/o a car on Amtrak. Shuttle p/u us up within minutes. Daniel, the driver, is first class. Upon arrival to the hotel, we were greeted by a lovely staff, including the manager, Sylvia. She made us feel right at home. We arrived earlier than the recommended check in time, but they had our room ready. , and grandparents adjoining room was ready in 30 minutes. Wonderful, since we had a tired and cranky baby on our hands. The crib was clean and good to go. It's one of those portable playpen types, and baby jumped right on in. Ok, I just chucked her into it but she loves it. The room seemed tidy and spacious. We had a balcony facing the bay including Midway and the Star of India. Boy the view was breathtaking. It was worth the extra few bucks.

Breakfast - This is coming from a guy who is a buffet afficionado. There wasn't a complete selection like some other complainers were expecting, but hey, what was offered, I'd call it the "basics plus", was sufficient. The restaurant / eating area is next door to the hotel and is staffed by helpful employees. They quickly set us up with a high chair and family styled seating. The offerings were plentiful, and varied somewhat from day to day. If your a light eater, you had your yogurts, cereals, fruits, danishes. For the hungry jacks there was scrambled eggs and ham, and depending on the day, pancakes, sausages, spicy potatoes, etc. Heck, they even had miso soup and rice! Everyone looked at me strangely for having miso for breakfast but you know what, that stuff is delish! My starving little 12 year old tried to keep up with her pops but gave up early on. Only baby hung in there as she fed the hungry floor by hurling cereal and fruits all over the place. Fresh orange juice, milk, toast and oatmeal rounded off the meals.

The room - WiFi was a must and yep, all our devices connected instantly. None of that security code mumbo jumbo you encounter everywhere else. It just worked. The flatscreen and remote also worked perfectly. But darn those beds were a little too cozy! We chose the double queens, and looking over noticed my DW (I just found out that DW means Dear Wife so I feel cool using it) and daughter were fast asleep. I usually stay up late watching T.V. or youtubing nonsense on a tablet, but nope, not here at the "Bay". I felt like I was resting on a fluffy cloud, and after checking to see that it wasn't baby underneath, I dozed off instantly. Come on, when and where else can you get 6 plush pillows all to yourself?

Never once smelled any smoke, can't complain about the parking fee (no car). For those reviewers mentioning the noise, it was a non issue for us. Hearing the faint trolley rings from the 10th floor was actually fun, but all noises were drowned out by closing the sliding door and activating our travel size fan. Fridge good size, microwave clean and working. Ironing board, big tub and shower. No lotion, minus half a point. No toothbrush. minus another point. Oh wait, that was my dumb fault. Pool and spa were working but none of us wanted to go outside since it was really cold and windy. My card key stopped working one time and before I yelled, AHA, something to whine about like all the other yelpers, I realized my DW had locked it from inside to keep intruders from waking up baby since the door makes a loud thump. No prob, just went in to grandpa's room next door and used the connecting door.

The location is probably one of the key features we chose this inn. Two blocks from the Trolley station helped the familia reach Old Town in a flash. A few more blocks gets you to the Harbor walk. And it's a few blocks from Little Italy, which was jumping in a safe, classy way. There were bars and restaurants filled by locals, who for some reason all look happy, well off, and fit. Hmm, don't see that much happiness here in LA but oh well, the food was delicious. Oh wait, back to the Hotel review. Did I mention there was a Rite Aid diagonal from the hotel? Get your water bottles, baby food, cup o' noodles, beef jerky, whatever knick knacks you need at any time. Everyone was so friendly down there in SD. Must be the weather or something. There were some homeless here and there but in no way threatening. It's too nice down here, clean streets, air, water. Oh they say the hotel was undergoing renovation. We saw no signs of that, everything looked done.

Anyways, since checkout is at noon. We decided to checkout early on our last day and visit the Midway Museum before our return train ride at 4pm. Since baby had no interest in visiting the amazing war ship, the hotel was accomodating and let my DW and DB (darling baby) stay an extra hour. Upon checkout, Daniel was nice enough to shuttle both of them to meet us at Midway. That is first class service.

To sum it up, I've been to standard BWesterns. But this one stands up to it's Plus designation. I heard there are BW Premiers, which are even more upscale. I wonder what they have there, maybe Sushi? If so, I am so there!

Room Tip: The rooms closer to the elevators give you a view of Midway.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Polish first
Chandler, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Excellent Location, walking Distance to just about everything. Very comfortable Check in/out very simple. Had bay view left the window open all night the breezes were wonderful, my Wife did not want to leave! Will stay here again!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Portland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We picked this hotel because of the location. It is perfect if you are looking to go to Gas Lamp District, Little Italy, Coronado Island, Lajolla, OB, PB, Balboa park or the Zoo! It's very easy to get around town from here and the view of the bay is beautiful! We did not use the pool or hot tub, but we did have the free breakfast one day that was included...very impressed for the variety of items for this being a "continental" breakfast. The only reason we didn't eat breakfast here every day of our stay was because we wanted to try out the best rated breakfast in SD. Brian's 24 has the best breakfast and awesome Bloody Mary's! Our room was very clean, all the amenities worked well and the staff was very friendly. We will be back in SD next spring and will be staying here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Recently we visited San Diego and stayed at the Best Western Plus Bayside Inn. It is close to the railway station and the hotel provides van service to and from the station and to and from the airport. The hotel is within a short walk of the Bay. It is within a block of the marvelous restaurants in Little Italy. The beds were very comfortable. The breakfast was excellent, plentiful, and free. We strongly recommend the hotel to visitors to San Diego.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Stayed for one night in April. I arrived early and the concierge was kind enough to allow me to check in early. I had been up since 2:00 a.m. and really wanted to freshen up before exploring the city.

The room was amazing. I can't remember the number, but it was high enough that I couldn't hear traffic and it had an amazing view down the street to the bay and the Star of India. The room was also very clean with great water pressure in the shower and there were no issues with the free wifi.

The hotel is conveniently located to the airport and San Diego's attractions - many within walking distance. The parking is $14/night, which I find steep, but have been told by others is pretty good for the area.

The complimentary breakfast at the restaurant next door was better than average with a great selection of hot and cold options. There was even rice for Asian visitors!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Found this hotel to be very convenient to the cruise ship terminal.. Staff was pleasant and helpful.. They do a shuttle to and from the airport as well as the cruise ship terminal.. I thought parking was free but it is not. $14 a night unless you are doing a 5 day cruise, it's free if I understood that correctly. Good location. close to the harbor and plenty of resturants close by. We were satisfied.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Nice hotel, clean and beds very comfortable with plenty of pillows. Great view of the bay and city and good location to all public transportation. We used the train, bus, trolley and the ferry all within easy walking distance. Little Italy area just a couple blocks away. Breakfast was really just ok, eggs watery and rest was just cereal and bread things, not individual yogurt which seemed a bit unsanitary ( I don't eat sausage ). Pool ok but cold in evening but nice hot tub. My only real complaint is this: SHUTTLE does not start til 7 am. I booked this hotel because of the free shuttle mainly. They did call and schedule a cab which was early and only 14.00 to the airport including tip. They need to publish that their shuttle is not available before 7 am.

Room Tip: Ask for a bay view up high
Green Features: Good California green values, even a recycle bin in bathroom
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Bayside Inn? Share your experiences!