“Downtown San Diego” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn San Diego Downtown

You added Red Roof Inn San Diego Downtown to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn San Diego Downtown
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   719 Ash St, San Diego, CA 92101-3213 (Formerly Rodeway Inn & Suites Downtown)   |
Ranked #156 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles, California
“Downtown San Diego”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This three-story Red Roof Inn is in a perfect location. If you are a light sleeper, don't take a room on the ground floor where you can hear everyone above tramping about.
This is not a luxury hotel but it's very clean and the staff is very nice and helpful.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Campbell River, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2014

We spent six nights at this hotel while we explored San Diego and environs by bicycle (an excellent idea, by the way!) The hotel is not exactly luxurious, but our room was clean and spacious, the breakfast was perfectly adequate and the staff were invariably friendly. Hats off to Erica at the front desk, in particular.
The location is excellent, midway between Balboa Park, the waterfront, the Gaslamp area and Little Italy; a reasonably fit person can walk everywhere.
We're glad we stayed here!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Amherst, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2014

The area is great. This hotel is walking distance to shops and food (Sole Luna across the street is fantastic!) The folks at the desk are super friendly and very helpful.
Free shuttle to and from the train station and airport, free breakfast (a real breakfast too, with waffles, danish, juice, coffee, bagels, cereal, oatmeal, fruit, etc). Our room was clean and spacious. The tub drain was slow, showers had to be relatively short, but we had places to be anyway, so no long showers were necessary.
There was very little outside noise as well, so we slept peacefully.
Overall, this is a great hotel that we would definitely stay in again!

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Riverside, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2014

After all, it's a Red Roof Inn. You should know what to expect. Like any piece of real estate what matters is "location, location, location" and that is where this particular iteration of the cookie cutter chain excels. On a corner across the street is the Sole Luna Café for a morning cappuccino, breakfast sandwich or an evening cocktail. One block away is a Dominoes for a hot, late night sandwich. There's even a gourmet deli across the street. But the best part is the easy walk to the Gaslamp which features the highest concentration of restaurants, bars, lounges, clubs and dives that I know. Furnishings in the room were nice and the place was clean and quiet. Staff was very courteous, helpful and efficient. They even let us check in early.

Room Tip: Upper floors may have less street noise.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2014

I had originally booked a hostel in the Gaslamp District but ended deciding to stay at Red Roof Inn instead. One of the reasons was that check in here is at 2pm (compared to the hostel which was 4pm). I was getting in to San Diego early afternoon and didn't want to have to wait to check in. Check in was fine, receptionist was friendly. I was asked if I wanted a room on the ground floor or next floor up. I chose the ground floor just so as not to have to lug my suitcase up the stairs. The roof was spacious and clean. It only had a shower and no bath (I'm England and prefer baths but never mind!). Free wifi. It has a table with big mirror and chair to work at. Also a fridge. A pull out sofa. I was only there for 2 nights but the stay was fine and I have no real complaints. I walked up to Balboa park. I'd asked about the free shuttle to the cruise terminal which was mentioned, although both times I asked about it, the receptionist didn't seem overly keen organise it... They said they could but it sounded like I'd need to wait. The second time I asked about it, I called from my room and the receptionist said they'd call someone, so I waited on the line but I'm not sure if they put the phone down or what. They didn't come back in a few minutes so I ended up putting the phone down and giving up on that idea. Maybe you have to give them advance warning so they can fit it around the driver, I'm not sure... Either way, it seemed like it would be a hassle for them so I just ended up walking to Balboa Park on my own the first day and then walked to the tram stop to meet a friend at Seaport Village the next day.

The hotel is up a really steep hill. If you're walking it's a little tiring, but on the way back you're all downhill! The area seemed fine, and I walked to Gaslamp District the day I checked out.

I'd stay here again. The room was nice and the price was good.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2014

Extremely friendly, helpful front desk. Large, clean, updated rooms. Good free breakfast. Half hour walk from Midway aircraft carrier and Maritime Museum, but only a $7 taxi ride. Conveniently located by Gaslamp District. Great value for money. El Cortez Gourmet deli across the street offers good value, helpful staff.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Glendale, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2014

Since my girlfriend had back surgery in April, I asked for a soft bed. The front desk staff said they didn't know which room's bed was soft. The bed is rock hard and we almost left after one night.

You fraudulently advertise flat screen TV's in the rooms and there was an old tube TV in my room. The front desk told me they were back ordered. If they are back ordered the website still shouldn't falsely advertise the flat screen TV's. It is bait and switch! Furthermore, the cable feed was fuzzy on all channels.

They turned off the hot water for two hours with only a two minute warning. Neither of us had showered yet that day.

The staff gave us the wifi username and password, but they didn't tell us how or or where to find the web portal. We had to go back to them twice because the staff hooked up the first device, but didn't tell us how to do it.

I asked for no maid service during our stay, yet the maid woke us up on two different days and still checked with us every day.

There is poor lighting outside the room and I kicked the small, 3" step up into the room multiple times because I couldn't see it.

They charged us for the safe up front and said if we didn't use it upon checking out out to let them know and they will refund the charge. I'm still not sure the specific amount they charged. My credit card shows a different amount than what they claimed.

Could barely fit through the bathroom hallway. And, the air conditioning was blocked by the curtains. Plus we we were woken one morning to the sound of a hammer and drilling from a store directly below us.

Suggestions for this location: Don't bait and switch people into staying there. Tell the truth. You may have gotten my business once, but no other red roof inn will ever get another dollar of mine based on this one experience. Also, had you not bait and switched me, I wouldn't go all over the net and let everyone know how horrible this red roof inn is and how horrible my stay was. You would save yourself a customer service nightmare by being truthful! And, if you set an expectation, you better at least meet it.

Room Tip: Don't book a room here!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Red Roof Inn San Diego Downtown? Share your experiences!