“no free wifi and below par breakfast” 3 of 5 stars

California Suites Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5415 Clairemont Mesa Boulevard, San Diego, CA 92117   |
Ranked #208 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Bellingham, Washington, United States
“no free wifi and below par breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The grounds are nice and the beds are comfortable enough, but there wasn't free wifi in the room as advertised, and the continental breakfast consisted of muffins. There is a toaster but no bread. They are stingy with the soap and shampoo. It's a nice place to stay, but don't expect too much.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Mobile, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We had three rooms here with other family members. The second night my son knocked on the door and I was in the shower, when I came out I asked him how he got into the room his response was his key. I said that was not possible we have two different rooms we tried his key and it opened the door. We then tried the third room and it opend that door as well. I went to the office but he manager was not available it was a bit after 6 PM. I was not comfortable so we checked out that evening and found another hotel. The next morning I called and wanted to speak to the manager but he was still not available. I left my number a and have had no response. This is a security issue that no one should have to experience.

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the California Suites Hotel for 7 nights and my only negative comments would be that housekeeping wasn't quite up to par (they didn't leave cups, soap, shampoo, etc.) and the front office staff wasn't the most professional or the friendliest, however, it is a 2-star hotel so I didn't expect much. The furniture was a little outdated but the room was very spacious with more than adequate storage space (1 single closet and 1 double closet with built in shelves), plenty of cabinet space in the kitchen, a microwave, and refrigerator. I did notice blood on the comforter the morning of our second day but my boyfriend had a wound so it could have come from him. That evening upon our return, we had fresh sheets and a fresh comforter. The breakfast was adequate for our needs (cereal, bagels, muffins, oranges, juice and coffee) and was a nice start to the day. The hotel is within a short distance to all attractions and the hotel even provides written directions to the popular destinations. We did have to pay for internet but I probably could have just asked someone for the password (hint, hint). Soundproofing wasn't the best but with the a/c on I didn't hear a thing and I'm a very light sleeper. Overall, we had a wonderful stay and I would recommend California Suites to anyone looking for a clean, 2-star hotel in a convenient location. The pool and hot tub close at 10 and everyone minded the rule. There are a lot of restaurants nearby as well as a miniature golf course and a bowling alley if you're looking for something to do at night.

Room Tip: We had a room by the pool but I think it would be nice to be by the fountains. I don't think any...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I have been known to take chances on hotels that have received so-so reviews, so I have learned to take bad reviews with a grain of salt. This hotel is very basic but it is clean, quiet and the grounds really are pretty. We had no issues with security, nor any issues with our room. I rarely stay at the same hotel twice unless they knock my socks off, so i'm not sure I would stay here again but if you are a family looking to save some money with an economical room that has a kitchen, this is the place for you!

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This motel is an *excellent* value -- we found it (on another discount web site) for just $57 a night plus tax, including continental breakfast -- and the rooms are nice-sized for a low-end motel, with plenty of room to walk around the standard double bed and an "efficiency" kitchen plus bathroom. The room was clean, and the pool and breakfast room were well-maintained as well. The continental breakfast was simple but sufficient, with a small selection of cereal, fruit, and baked goods to supplement the juice and coffee. The staff was very friendly, efficient and accommodating.

The location is a mixed residential/strip-mall neighborhood, not close to downtown or the beaches, but *very* easy access for the tourists areas. You’re right off one of the major San Diego arteries, I-805. As a San Diegan, I appreciated being able to get where I was going easily, and not having to fight tourist traffic and parking issues where I was staying.

From there on, there are many details that are merely "adequate." Examples:
1. The well-landscaped grounds were far from immaculate. Smoking is prohibited in the rooms, but clearly people go outside to smoke, and discard the butts and empty packs along the landscaped walkways. At this price, the motel can't hire enough people to keep the grounds pristine from hour to hour.
2. The kitchen has a sink, a "pony" fridge and a microwave. Nothing else. No dishes, no cups, no silverware. Know it in advance and bring your own picnic ware and it’s not a problem.
3. The bathroom has a tub/shower and a toilet. No sink. Fortunately, the kitchen sink has a mirror over it, which is clearly designed to double as the bathroom sink. Adequate, but Spartan.
4. There is no wi-fi in the public areas, but you can rent the use of their network (along with a cable to link your computer to the plug in your room) for $6.95 per 24-hour period.
5. The bed is comfortable enough, but *very* well sprung. One person rolls over and the other vibrates for two seconds.

There were numerous families with small children, generally very well-behaved; but there *will* be kid noise, especially around the pool, so be ready for it.

It's not the Sheraton, but if you'll be happy staying at a clean two-star hotel with spacious rooms and a great price, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: We were in 707, which is tucked away in a remote corner, and was very quiet
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Auburn, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I'll start with the fact that we shopped by web and by price and distance from the university. When delivering the second of two kids to go to university in the same month, price matters.
California Suites is not in the fashionable end of San Diego, but that's fine. It is close to the freeway. What impressed us the most, however, is how friendly the staff is. They were extremely friendly and helpful throughout our stay, from the midnight-ish check-in to the check-out. The carpet in the hallway isn't new, but the room was large and comfortable, with a small fridge and microwave to help us skimp on restaurant meals.
The courtyards inside the hotel are lush and feature meandering pathways and fountains. It can be daunting if you are in a hurry to find the way back to your room, but for a dawn stretch-the-legs, it's just the thing. I think that when it opened, this was an elegant resort spot with the grand fountain-centered entry, and it retains it's charm. It reminds me of days gone by and times when manners mattered.
Breakfast is the only thing that got my rating down under "excellent," but they did have raisin bran and milk, with tea water served up by a very friendly lady, so I was content. The breakfast room is large and comfortable. The pool and hot tub were fun as well.
All in all, if you want a nice place to stay, and you do have to pay attention to budget, this is a real find.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

The leafy courtyards are attractive and pool clean... Do not let that sway you, the room had a decidedly unappealing smell of bed bugs and acrid smoke despite seemingly ostensibly clean (although no bugs were found when, scared, we took the bed apart before tentatively climbing in). To use the term spartan would be a kind description if the furnishings. The breakfast was a miserable affair with juice portions so minuscule they looked more like Lego blocks than beverages. Having visited Alcatraz some days before there was something nostalgic about marching through the austere back gate from the parking lot. There is no lift, so just hope you can coax the rickety air conditioning into life after hauling your cases upstairs.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to California Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!