“Great Budget Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #113 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles, California
“Great Budget Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Got a great price of $50 thru Priceline for a quick overnight Saturday stay. Standard Holiday Inn Express amenities. Well worth the price paid. Free adjacent and nearby street parking beginning 4pm on Saturdays and all-day Sunday.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This hotel is pretty average. The bathroom is tiny, tiny! The parking garage is tight... Don't know how larger vehicles fit, but that's CA for you, limited space. Location was good, except kinda scary at night with homeless and vagrants around downtown area. Trying to save money, will stay in other hotel next. This hotel is decent for a last minute deal.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear A TripAdvisor Member,

We greatly value your comments. I am pleased you like our location. I have noted that you experienced inconvenience and discomfort with the bathroom and parking area during your stay and would like to extend my most sincere apologies for this. We have taken note of your comments and your review will looked into. I hope you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Once again, thank you for your valuable comments and recommendation.

Zelyn N
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed here for one night, it is a great location to base yourself, great views from the hotel bar and we were lucky enough to have an ocean view room as well. The staff were great, breakfast was fairly standard but the lively staff made it an experience. Although the pool is small it did for my daughter who was happy to cool off in there. Overall a great place to stay, next time we will stay or longer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Don't expect any thing but a three star budget hotel and you will enjoy your stay.
It was in a good location. We could walk to shops and station. We used the shuttle to take us to the station, the Zoo and it was very reliable. The room was very small and the air con was noisy.
We had a room that was on the street. The staff were helpful. Room was clean. It was a hot breakfast and plenty of variety.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the street are small.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I traveled for work to a place out in the middle of nowhere in California for two weeks, and San Diego was less than two hours away so I decided to visit on the weekend between the two work weeks. I'm a federal employee, and when I'm traveling on business I have to stay at hotels that offer the "government rate." This usually means Marriotts, Hyatts, and the occasional Hilton - all of which I'm usually fine with for business trips (the taxpayers wouldn't like it if Uncle Sam was putting me up in 5 star resorts!). Since my weekend stay in San Diego was being paid for by my employer, I had to find a place that offered the government rate. My main priority was proximity to the zoo. This place fit the bill since they offered the government rate and had many positive reviews on TripAdvisor. Nonetheless, I was not impressed.

Let's start with the good, because there were actually a few very positive aspects:

1. location was good
2. employees were very friendly and helpful
3. the free shuttle to and from the zoo was absolutely appreciated
4. free internet (this should be offered EVERYWHERE)
5. free breakfast (see comments on quality below, however)
6. since I was booked under the government rate, I was given some vouchers for the cafe at the hotel. I didn't have time to use them, but it was a nice gesture
7. the lobby is nice
8. the king bed was comfortable and the pillows were good

The bad: we stayed on the third floor, which was a labyrinth of long hallways (with our room all the way at the end). The hallway carpeting was flithy. When we reached our room, we realized the main light in the entry area was out. I was too tired to call anyone at that point, and I didn't really want repair people in our room while we were gone the next day, so we just kind of lived with it. The room ended up being pretty dark, with only two bedside lamps and one desk lamp. All of the lamp shades looked 20 years old, minimum. The carpet was not very nice, nor were the curtains. The bathroom was WAY too small - no room for toiletries on the sink, and could barely move in there. The toilet was the type you would find in an airport or public school. The air-conditioning unit was an ancient wall unit, which randomly shut off every 1/2 hour or so. I had to keep getting up in the middle of the night to turn it back on. Also, it was loud. Overall cleanliness was not great. When we first arrived, there was a long curly dark hair in the bathtub. The bathtub was also dusty, as if it either hadn't been used and/or cleaned in a long time, or it had been cleaned with an already dirty cloth - gross. There was a vent in the bathroom that was packed with dust and looked like it had never been cleaned. There were not enough outlets in the room: my husband and I had between us two phones and one tablet, and these could not all be plugged in while having all the lamps plugged in at the same time. Once you throw my hairdryer into the mix, just forget about it. On our second day in the room there was another long curly dark hair on our white bedspread.

The breakfast was unimpressive. Juice from concentrate dispensed from a machine, few options for cereal, all baked goods clearly came right out of a package. I appreciated the warm selection, but the food was of no higher quality than McDonald's. The worst part is that it was all served in plastic bowls, plates, and cups. It seems like investing in some cheap ceramic plates and cheap glass cups would save some money in the long run (and be better for the environment).

Final comment - there were some shady looking guests staying at the hotel, not to mention homeless people loitering immediately outside of the building.

I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Sarah Z,

Krysllin G.
Carlsbad, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend for 2 nights in September 2013.

Accomodations - Great room with a king-sized bed and a nice bathroom. Everything was very clean.

Staff - The staff was very nice. The lady at the front desk was very helpful with answering all of our questions. Housekeeping left us a nice note telling us to enjoy San Diego.

Parking - There is a parking deck for guests. It's a bit pricey, but that seems to be the general trend in all of California.

Location - Although the hotel is very nice, I wish it was in Gaslamp. It was about a 15 minute walk to get from the hotel to Gaslamp. But this hotel was a lot nicer than the Ramada, which is right in the heart of Gaslamp. So I guess it just depends what is more important, quality or location.

Complimentary Breakfast - It was average at best. I had orange juice and a bagel with cream cheese.

Other - The cookies at the front desk are really good. I thought that was a really nice thing to offer for guests. Also, I didn't see this advertised anywhere on the website, but the hotel offers a happy hour with complimentary drinks. Free beer is always a nice treat!

Overall, I was very happy during my stay. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Kailua, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This was a first stay at this hotel and arrived late, so did not get a good daylight look around until morning. Had requested an upper floor room away from noise, but ended up on the first floor just off the lobby. This property has an unusual layout for a Holiday Inn Express and one entire side of the building fronts Seventh street which is very busy. Counted no less than four sirens during the night, so not much sleep. It is very clean and the staff friendly and helpful. The breakfast area is nicely laid out with two separate rooms, making it a bit more quiet.

Room Tip: Request a room not fronting Seventh street!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Jollymon22,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. It is great to know that you found our staff to be friendly and the breakfast served suited your expectations. I apologize if the noise levels were a disappointment.

We appreciate your feedback and your business and we hope to host you again soon.

Pam G
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown? Share your experiences!