“Nice hotel, decent location.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #110 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Carlsbad, California
“Nice hotel, decent location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend for 2 nights in September 2013.

Accomodations - Great room with a king-sized bed and a nice bathroom. Everything was very clean.

Staff - The staff was very nice. The lady at the front desk was very helpful with answering all of our questions. Housekeeping left us a nice note telling us to enjoy San Diego.

Parking - There is a parking deck for guests. It's a bit pricey, but that seems to be the general trend in all of California.

Location - Although the hotel is very nice, I wish it was in Gaslamp. It was about a 15 minute walk to get from the hotel to Gaslamp. But this hotel was a lot nicer than the Ramada, which is right in the heart of Gaslamp. So I guess it just depends what is more important, quality or location.

Complimentary Breakfast - It was average at best. I had orange juice and a bagel with cream cheese.

Other - The cookies at the front desk are really good. I thought that was a really nice thing to offer for guests. Also, I didn't see this advertised anywhere on the website, but the hotel offers a happy hour with complimentary drinks. Free beer is always a nice treat!

Overall, I was very happy during my stay. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Kailua, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This was a first stay at this hotel and arrived late, so did not get a good daylight look around until morning. Had requested an upper floor room away from noise, but ended up on the first floor just off the lobby. This property has an unusual layout for a Holiday Inn Express and one entire side of the building fronts Seventh street which is very busy. Counted no less than four sirens during the night, so not much sleep. It is very clean and the staff friendly and helpful. The breakfast area is nicely laid out with two separate rooms, making it a bit more quiet.

Room Tip: Request a room not fronting Seventh street!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Jollymon22,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. It is great to know that you found our staff to be friendly and the breakfast served suited your expectations. I apologize if the noise levels were a disappointment.

We appreciate your feedback and your business and we hope to host you again soon.

Pam G
KSA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Only 3 blocks from the trolley cars and restaurants.
They need to spend more effort in cleaning and improving the smell.Unit based air condition.
The brake fast was strictly intercontinental.
free internet and airport transport.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear travellerKSA,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the cleanliness of the hotel that did not meet your expectations. Rest assured that the issues you have raised has been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions.

We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Janice A
Hesperia, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

arrived, tired and hot. Had prepaid reservation and had confirmation. However, the Prepaid Company neglected to paid the Hotel. I was in shock. However, Jennifer (receptionist) placed a call, and resolved the issued and checked me in while the issue was resolved. The room was on the third floor, great view of the downtown and the bay..Suzette, Adrieanna, and Valerie took great care of doing this stay. All the staff were professional, well groomed, well mannered, soft spoken and knowledgeable of their duties and the needs of their patrons. They ensured we had a cab when the shuttle was out of reach so that we met our friends timely.. The room was clean, the bathroom had nice clean white towels and enough of them. The grounds of the hotel were clean and I even watch a man, wiping off the railing. It was a relaxing time and I will return. I love the staff, all the staff. The walls are a little thin, however, no thiner than the walls at an exclusive hotel we had stayed in August 2013 Oh yes, the breakfast staff were very professional and the eggs were better than most places serving that type of egg.

Room Tip: Top floor facing downtown, you don't have to worry about people above you. However, people are n...
Jalna, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

It was indeed clean and neat place to stay but for conference little far from the usual venues. Its location in downtown gives more direct access to city centre and shopping malls. Service of hotel was good but the noise from other is unavoidable. I liked the stay and would recommend considering this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Duncanville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

When in downtown San Diego, California, do stay at the Holiday Inn Express. The service is excellent, the facility clean and the staff friendly. Check in is a breeze and the hotel has so many amenities. My daughter and I stayed there and had a room with a bay view, how wonderful! My daughter said they were the best beds she'd ever slept in at a hotel, it was that nice! Our room was very clean with plenty of linens and a choice of pillow types, and the bed was very comfortable. They offer free hot breakfast vouchers that come with the room. It is handicap accessible with the elevator close by. The staff will assist you with your luggage from the front door to your room. The hotel is close to all the fun things that San Diego offers. I especially enjoyed Old Town San Diego and my daughter and I went to the beach, it was right close by. Important for me is being safe wherever I stay overnight or for a week and there I felt very safe and secure. It is close to all the major freeways. There is more than plenty to do in the surrounding area and if you don't feel like going out, you can order from the local eateries, right from your room as well as ordering room servive if you like. The directory was great, if one needed a cab, then a cab you could get. Really a great place to stay and I would recommend it to anyone staying in San Diego and if I go back, I will be staying there again. Best wishes, Mrs. Scarlett Lynn Rucker-Misikir

Room Tip: Go for the bay view!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I really enjoyed everything about this hotel. The parking is expensive, but the check in staff were polite, the room was expected and the location was great.
To my horror I was woken late that night as someone obviously checked into the room above me and flushed the toilet. The pipes were unbelievably loud. The guests used the bathroom again in the early hours of the morning and woke me and then again at around 6.30am.
The bed was very comfortable but it was a shame that I couldn't enjoy it. I left feeling wrecked after a long drive.
To their credit, the management did respond and said that they would look into it. That is good service. I hope they do, otherwise DON'T stay in room 108.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear alwaystravelling1973,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. It is wonderful to know you appreciated the our location and the service you received. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs & expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment with the noise. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Thank you again for your review and have a wonderful day!

Karen C
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown? Share your experiences!