“No shuttle and no breakfast” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #108 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Waikiki
“No shuttle and no breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

There are a lot of reasonably priced accommodation choices around the San Diego airport but after some research online, by email, and by phone the Holiday Inn Express San Diego stood out because they offered a free airport shuttle and complimentary breakfast. This is a great deal if you are traveling with constantly hungry kids and are on a budget. We had an overnight layover with an early departure so I had some questions about breakfast arrangements.

I was feeling pretty good after my email from Holiday Inn Express San Diego said in part "We can provide a breakfast bag to go around 5:00 a.m at your request as long as you make arrangements the day/nigt prior", and in another email, "there is absolutely no charge for the shuttle. It is a complimentary service that we provide to our guests. Breakfast bags are also complimentary. You can pick one up the evening before you depart, or the morning of. We do have someone at the desk 24 hours a day, so any time that works for you to pick one up, feel free to do so."

There was no shuttle and no breakfast.

July 2 -after the assurances of the earlier email I still called the front desk the day before we arrived and explained that we would be arriving at 8:35pm the following day and would like to use the complimentary shuttle for 4 people. The front desk said "no problem, just call us when you arrive".

July 3 8:30pm -called front desk when we landed. The front desk said there was no driver so they could not provide a shuttle. They said they were "authorized" to reimburse up to $15 for a cab ride. A short negotiation with the cab driver got us an $18.50 flat rate and I rounded it up to $20 for hitting every green light through downtown San Diego. Not a big expense but frustrating after the emails and phone calls to confirm that we would have a shuttle. If you are left stranded at the airport and get the taxi rebate offer remember to get a receipt from your cab driver.

July 3 9:30pm -there were no bag breakfasts available at that time but I was assured they did this all the time and there would be bag breakfasts available in the morning. I said that I would like to "make arrangements" per the email I had received but I was told it wasn't necessary.

July 4 5:00am -from the front desk worker -"Jeez guys, it's been one of those mornings. I'm all out of breakfasts. Let me see if I can get anyone in the breakfast room." After holding the phone for a couple minutes he disappeared into the back and we waited the 15 minutes until the shuttle took us to the airport. At the airport the comparable to a bag breakfast for 4 ran just under $30.

This property is OK and if they deliver on their promises it is an excellent value. In this situation there were other options that would have been a better value and nothing was worth the frustration of starting our vacation on this disappointing note. This hotel set the bar high and then walked right under it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear HawaiiCondo,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had with the shuttle service and with breakfast. Please be assured that we treat your comments very seriously as these issues will be discussed with the management and actions will be taken accordingly. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Karen G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Salem
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn downtown during Comic Con, so all of San Diego was packed. We found our room to be cleaner than some 5 star hotels we have stayed at and our welcome at the front desk was perfect. Very prepared, knowledgable and friendly at all times. Someone was always cleaning inside or out, and we loved our suite with 2 balconies!
The staff though, is was really made the stay! Midge seemed to be everywhere greeting at morning breakfast..... Nice variety, fresh and hot! She exemplified what the customer experience is all about. We had to which rooms our last night, and she even made sure our luggage was transferred while we were out sight seeing.
We know there are more upscale places to stay, for for the cost and cleanliness and service, we were very happy! Close to walking everywhere too!

Room Tip: Choose a suite if you are traveling with a family, very spacious, but we stayed in a 2 double bed th...
Henderson, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Over Priced Resort, Rooms were old. Parking was $15.00 a day, With NO Break for
Handicapped Parking. I stayed here for Business and while it is convenient to Everything
Downtown, It just wasn't worth the price my Company paid. I would Not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Toni S,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide rates that are competitive in the area. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Lera P
Kissimmee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I needed to reserve and pay for a room for a family member in San Diego without her credit card. Originally the toll free HI employee took all my credit card info and then said I would have to call the local HIE to pay. When I tried to do that (within 1/2 hour of making the reservation) the HIE did not yet have the reservation info, and your employee Jeanette asked me to call back in the morning. When I called back early the next morning, I first spoke to a man who said there was no way he could accept my credit card payment over the phone. I waited a few hours and called back to specifically ask for Jeanette. She courteously and COMPETENTLY processed my reservation and payment. Thank goodness for employees who know how to do their job. HOORAY!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Sonoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

First of all, I want to express that the staff is great. Very nice and as accomodating as possible. However, the hotel is old and tired. The bathroom was so small that one person could barely turn around in the room. It was about 4 feet by 5 feet? No counter space to put toiletries down. The bed was ok, pillows old, no support. Portable AC unit in room that was noisy. Breakfast was ok.. just ok. I took my son for a couple of days to see watch some ballgames at Petco park and do some sightseeing. It is in not a great part of downtown (a lot of empty buildings and homeless or shady people walking around) and it is quite a long walk to Gaslamp quarter and the ball park, so we took a cab (probably a mile and half). We took the hotel shuttle down to the trolley that got us out to SeaWorld. We walked to little Italy and had a couple of nice dinners. What really concerned me was that the permit in the elevator which did not run well, showed that it had expired on 11/12/12. That to me was a major red flag....Will not stay there again..

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, make sure that everything is up to code before you book a reservation. I...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear PatriciaMarie323,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I appreciate your compliments on our hotel staff. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. Rest assured that this isn't reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests.

Lera P
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

This hotel is a great location for the city and the harbor in San Diego, rooms are typical of Holiday Inn, not big but very clean, staff very helpful, small cafe to eat in or take out, average but overall a good stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Last minute decision to drive to San Diego for the long weekend. First time to stay downtown and hotel was convenient for us to walk everywhere. Friendly staff, clean and comfortable bed. Beer, wine and snacks for happy hour with a nice outdoor patio. Breakfast was decent, but very crowded and loud. We ended up moving upstairs to eat on the patio. Price was standard for a holiday weekend, but we only stayed Wed-Fri then moved to beach hotel. Walking distance to Gaslamp District, Little Italy and Pier. Neighborhood felt safe and we hit a couple of dive bars on our way home from the Pier.Hotel could use an update, but met our needs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown? Share your experiences!