“Really nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Cochrane, Canada
“Really nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We stayed five nights at the Bay Club and really enjoyed it. It has been nicely renovated and our room was very modern. The king sized bed was SO comfortable- it was nice to lay in bed in the mornings and stare out at the marina. The pool area was very relaxing and clean. The breakfast buffet was a nice way to start the day; there were so many options for food, from toast, English muffins, and cereal to hash browns, sausages, eggs, and porridge. Shelter Island is very, very quiet and relaxing. There isn't really a night life and while there are a few dining options right on the island, there are many more as you make your way back to the mainland. Overall a really great stay, we would come back.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Marina are quieter, as the Harbour facing rooms also face out onto the main road on...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Roswell, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Older Hotel, renovated and looking good. Clean, comfortable beds, super customer service, no fighting for parking (underground if you want). Wonderful AM breakfast sitting out on the veranda overlooking the marina; living the life.

Room Tip: My advice is to skip the fee for rooms facing the bay; Coronado Naval Base is directly across. Inst...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

After not going back to San Diego for a couple of years we came back to The Bay Club for a week long stay. What a difference in the hotel. They are almost finished with a remodel, and the results are great!

We were so glad to see that many of the people that we have enjoyed in the past are still there! A special thanks to Codey at the front desk. Sometimes my husband has some mobility issues, and he was right there to give assistance.

One of the things I love about this place is the ability of the staff members to remember the past guests! When we went down to the bar I was happy to see John was still there. I said "Hi honey We're home" and he couldn't get out from the bar fast enough to give us hugs hello! The service he gives is top rate. We were also happy to see the smiling faces of Jody & Patrick welcoming us back.

The bay room views are amazing, full skyline view of the bay & the San Diego downtown area. The rooms are very nice and spacious & all rooms have either a bay or marina view.

We will be returning to our San Diego home again. Thank you Bay Club Hotel & Marina for being such a great place to stay!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
MichaelArdelt, General Manager at Bay Club Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear Rhionsnana, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the renovations we recently completed and that you enjoyed your visit with us again! I am very proud of our staff and their helpful attitudes, as well as their ability to remember guests. I hope that you will be able to return again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Beautiful place. We had the best suite of the whole place. Clean, beautiful harbor view. Pool, jacuzzi, fireplace just out our door overlooking the harbor. Perfect room for just staying in. Will definitely book again

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
I am so glad you had a good time with friends here. The new firetable and fireplace in the restaurant are really fun places to relax, have food or drinks and see the sunset. The concerts next door can be heard from the restaurant patio and cap off a great evening at a reasonable price. We hope to have you return again soon! Thank you for staying with us.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

This was our second stay at the Bay Club Hotel. The first was last year on our first anniversary. We looked around this year for another place to stay but could not find anything we liked better. Everyone was very nice, the room was great and the Harbor view can not be beat. The hotel next door was having a outside concert that we were treated to and the fire works from Sea World capped the night beautifully. We are going to make our stay there a tradition.

Room Tip: The bay view is nice but overlooks a road. Harbor view is quite and your window is full of sunset a...
Redding, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I went a week with very few options available to me. It was rated 3 or 4 stars..however, on my visit, I would barely give it a 2 star rating. The staff at front desk, and throughout were exceptionally friendly and helpful......and that saved my visit from a 2 rating.

The room as I entered was bright, and without close examination was clean, and very presentable. The furniture was a bit dated but functional....the bed was comfortable. There were a few things left dusty, but unless closely examined, you would never have found it.

The bathroom was the downfall. Poor chalking, tile, and grouting...was nothing to the noticeable mildew/mold. Since workers were visible taking items into the other wing....I could not tell if the rooms were the object of there affection.

The room was not well insulated, as the noise from above at times was a bit more than I would like and the ground level outside noise was also a detractor.

The parking cost an additional $5, and the slots were small and ding waiting to happen.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Ski W, I am sorry that we fell short of your expectations on your recent stay with us. We are still completing some bathroom renovations in the rooms, and will finish with them by July. Noise is one of the things that is most irritating to travelers and we constantly strive to make sure our guests have a restful visit. I apologize if the parking stalls were too small since many of our spaces are designated as compact that predated the larger SUV's. We are generally able to find larger areas for guests to park when the lot fills up. I hope that you might give us another try and let us show you the better Bay Club experience.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

It's not much to look at from the outside, though the stunning scenery of San Diego makes up for a lot of architectural shortcomings. As others have noted, this hotel is undergoing renovations, but even once that's done, it will still feel like a mom'n'pop kind of place. While I normally go for the comfort of a giant Hilton box, I found the Bay Club Hotel & Marina oddly charming. Upon arrival, and throughout my stay, not once did I encounter anything that made me think this hotel has been focus grouped. And that is oddly charming.

The front desk was fairly efficient. I had two beers at the bar--well, outside overlooking the pool and marina--and the staff was unfailingly pleasant. I ordered food from the bar to take to the room, and it was cheap and good, with no annoying add-on fees for so doing. The room itself was large, with very high ceilings, despite being on the first floor. It's nothing to write home about, but neither was there anything wrong with it. The a/c wasn't amazing, but it did the trick. There was a large flat-panel tv. The wifi worked fine. The bathroom is spartan, but again, suitable for what one does in the bathroom. I skipped the gym, but it does exist. There's a free, hot breakfast, which I also skipped, but I saw it when getting coffee and it seemed much more extensive than what one finds at a Hampton Inn.

All in all, though I didn't get any HHonors points, I did have a nice stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to Bay Club Hotel & Marina? Share your experiences!