“Great day at the Bay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #62 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles, California
“Great day at the Bay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

This was our second stay at the Bay Club Hotel. The first was last year on our first anniversary. We looked around this year for another place to stay but could not find anything we liked better. Everyone was very nice, the room was great and the Harbor view can not be beat. The hotel next door was having a outside concert that we were treated to and the fire works from Sea World capped the night beautifully. We are going to make our stay there a tradition.

Room Tip: The bay view is nice but overlooks a road. Harbor view is quite and your window is full of sunset a...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Redding, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I went a week with very few options available to me. It was rated 3 or 4 stars..however, on my visit, I would barely give it a 2 star rating. The staff at front desk, and throughout were exceptionally friendly and helpful......and that saved my visit from a 2 rating.

The room as I entered was bright, and without close examination was clean, and very presentable. The furniture was a bit dated but functional....the bed was comfortable. There were a few things left dusty, but unless closely examined, you would never have found it.

The bathroom was the downfall. Poor chalking, tile, and grouting...was nothing to the noticeable mildew/mold. Since workers were visible taking items into the other wing....I could not tell if the rooms were the object of there affection.

The room was not well insulated, as the noise from above at times was a bit more than I would like and the ground level outside noise was also a detractor.

The parking cost an additional $5, and the slots were small and ding waiting to happen.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
MichaelArdelt, General Manager at Bay Club Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear Ski W, I am sorry that we fell short of your expectations on your recent stay with us. We are still completing some bathroom renovations in the rooms, and will finish with them by July. Noise is one of the things that is most irritating to travelers and we constantly strive to make sure our guests have a restful visit. I apologize if the parking stalls were too small since many of our spaces are designated as compact that predated the larger SUV's. We are generally able to find larger areas for guests to park when the lot fills up. I hope that you might give us another try and let us show you the better Bay Club experience.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

It's not much to look at from the outside, though the stunning scenery of San Diego makes up for a lot of architectural shortcomings. As others have noted, this hotel is undergoing renovations, but even once that's done, it will still feel like a mom'n'pop kind of place. While I normally go for the comfort of a giant Hilton box, I found the Bay Club Hotel & Marina oddly charming. Upon arrival, and throughout my stay, not once did I encounter anything that made me think this hotel has been focus grouped. And that is oddly charming.

The front desk was fairly efficient. I had two beers at the bar--well, outside overlooking the pool and marina--and the staff was unfailingly pleasant. I ordered food from the bar to take to the room, and it was cheap and good, with no annoying add-on fees for so doing. The room itself was large, with very high ceilings, despite being on the first floor. It's nothing to write home about, but neither was there anything wrong with it. The a/c wasn't amazing, but it did the trick. There was a large flat-panel tv. The wifi worked fine. The bathroom is spartan, but again, suitable for what one does in the bathroom. I skipped the gym, but it does exist. There's a free, hot breakfast, which I also skipped, but I saw it when getting coffee and it seemed much more extensive than what one finds at a Hampton Inn.

All in all, though I didn't get any HHonors points, I did have a nice stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Huntington Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

This is our second visit to Bay Club Hotel and we have had Great experiences both times!
This time we had a 1st floor Marina view and enjoyed it immensely! The night view was spectacular with a nice view over the water!

We travel frequently and one of our challenges isusually the bed! We have both slept well the first night. It usually takes a night to get used to the bed!

Breakfast was included and this was a delightful fresh buffet with excellent food and GOOD coffee!

The staff were very kind and helpful.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

This was one of the better hotels I've stayed in for a while. The room was clean, well-maintained, spacious (especially the closet space), with a very nice view of the marina from the patio. The room was a little dated and recent renovations were apparent (there was also construction taking place in the lobby). The only minor issue was the poor ventilation in the bathroom and the room in general. The property itself was very clean and the staff members encountered were all pleasant and cordial. The Internet wasn't working the day of check-out. But a staff member at the desk was kind enough to print our boarding passes from the computer at the desk. Although I didn't check out the pool or weight room, both looked to be quite satisfying for a hotel experience. The breakfast was hot and yummy, with several varied choices daily. Finally, the location was great on Shelter Island. Across the street from the hotel, it was a nice path to walk along San Diego bay--very nice ambience. The only other minor complaint is the fact that the parking charge of $5 daily was not clearly stated on the website when I booked. Nevertheless, I would definitely stay again if I'm ever in the San Diego area.

Tucson, Arizona, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

It's the best place I've stayed in. Beautiful and elegant. Unfortunately we only stayed for 2 nights but it was a wonderful experience. The rooms are really clean and we'll maintained it's like walking into a new hotel

• Stayed May 2014
Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

We had originally stayed at the Bay Club many years ago and decided to stay again when we returned to San Diego. This time we found our room in major need of an update but it still was a good size with plenty of closet space. It seems that the hotel is trying to update it's look at least in the lobby area as renovations were taking place near the bar/restaurant area. Hopefully the rooms are next.

Our air conditioning never got the room really cool but was comfortable enough to sleep. Breakfast is part of the package but was better the 2nd day with some better choices (in addition to scrambled eggs they had pancakes and home fries) compared to the day before which was not as good. However, the staff that served breakfast was very friendly and helpful. In fact, all employees at the hotel were anxious to please and helpful.

The location itself is excellent and has a nice view of the marina but we were a little disappointed since years ago we remembered our stay as much better. When we ordered a beer on tap at the bar, it was flat and not very good. Also there was a $5.00 a day parking fee that we did not know about until we checked in. The parking spaces are sized for small compact cars which made it difficult to pull into a space when the front lot and garage were full. If I had the choice, I would give the hotel a rating of "good" but I can't give it a "very good" since rooms really are in need of a facelift and the parking spaces can be tough to maneuver in.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Bay Club Hotel & Marina? Share your experiences!