“Great way to start a vacation” 5 of 5 stars

3rd Night Complimentary
Ranked #1 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
NYC
“Great way to start a vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I decided to stay hereafter reading something on the internet about a famous basketball player getting married here. I needed to stay in a hotel for one night before going to a spa. It seemed as though this would give us a good start. I booked through American Express . We arrived before the room was ready but no problem as I had booked massages after getting off a long flight. The spa had everything you could need and was totally relaxing. Our room, a beautiful King room with a patio at the pool was beautiful and well laid out. My husband loved the open window to the bathroom which made the room feel bigger. We went to La Jolla for dinner on the Mercedes bus and were picked up by the hotel driver. This was very nice and relaxing. My husband hates driving in California so it was stress free. We walked the grounds before we left and it is an oasis of beauty and good planning. Took a zumba class and tried PiLo but I am out of shape so that was tough. The instructor was excellent and I felt as though my vacation had begun. This property deserves the five stars. I have stayed at other resorts in the area but this was the best. It was quiet, elegant and relaxing. The bed was very comfortable, the shower was good ,room service was on time and the food was fresh. We were very pleasantly surprised and would go back gladly. Thank you to an excellent staff and a caring owner.

Room Tip: the room with the terrace at the pool was very nice and still private.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Grand Del Mar for our 10 year anniversary. It is truly a place where you are treated like royalty. The grounds are exquisite. The service fantastic. The adult pool and sauna where fabulous. The courtesy car was a beautiful S-class Mercedes that will escort you around town up to 12 miles! We were treated like stars. Club M was lively every night. The golf course is a touch of class with immaculate, breathtaking views. The caddys, especially Joe, is truly a professional. We will return EVERY year for our anniversary. It is a bucket list place.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Myers, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed a week at the Grand Del Mar and it was awesome. THE more beautiful hotel we have ever stayed at, and we have stayed at quite a few. Just hanging out in the library is cool. If you go, make sure you walk the grounds and take pictures. We actually had some professional pics done at and around the hotel, which, management wasn't too hot on but worked out anyway. Make sure you walk through the entire hotel as there are some killer staircases and walkways INSIDE too

Room Tip: The view of the courtyard was cool
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Mill Creek, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

A truly outstanding resort. My wife and I flew to San Diego to celebrate our 25th anniversary and spent three nights at the Grand Del Mar. I had read the reviews about the service and thought maybe people were exaggerating but they weren't. Shortly after we checked in, the hotel sent champagne on ice and a chocolate mousse with "Happy 25th Anniversary" written in chocolate on the plate. The room was immaculate as was the entire hotel. Every surface would pass the glove test. All the staff makes eye contact and greets you - although they don't really need to stand to the side when you pass them in the hall. You can sense they appreciate you being there. I didn't have high expectations of the Amaya restaurant as hotel restaurants sometimes don't try very hard but it was superb. We had two brunches and a dinner there. And the price was not unreasonable either. The workout facility was also excellent. No worn out ellipticals and rusted out machines. Everything was in top condition and they had real workout equipment like a Stairmill, bench press, and free weights/dumbbells. Only hung out at the adult pool and that whole area was very clean and new. I originally booked the room at a higher rate then by chance searched the internet again before we flew down and found a cheaper 3rd night free rate which they honored with no problem. Only valet parked for one night but they charged me for three and again they removed the two extra days with no problem. It's not far from most S.D. attractions. We hope to be back soon and wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I just stayed at this hotel for the second time and it was just as amazing as the first time! The staff is well-trained and providing incredible service is the culture. Upon check-in you are given cold hand towels soaked in eucalyptus which is a nice touch and great way to begin your stay. Our room on the first floor was well appointed and in a great location with a patio that was private and peaceful. I was able to enjoy the adult-only pool on 2 occasions and it was wonderful. They set up your chair with great big, soft towels along w a neck roll. Periodically through the afternoon the staff comes around with wonderful treats- cool cucumber slices w lemon, mini fruit lemonades-nice touch. The pool menu offers wonderful and reasonably priced selections and so wonderful in fact that on our last night we were craving one of the salads from the pool menu and Drew in the lobby lounge was accommodating and allowed us to order it even though the pool was already closed....it was delicious! We enjoyed the complimentary car service with Jeff (delightful) to Del Mar and La Jolla and strongly suggest making arrangements before you check in. Vladimir in Amaya Restaurant was attentive and provided incredible service although he was not my waiter either time I dined there. I was able to experience the spa on this trip and it did not disappoint! Scott was an incredible massage therapist and I loved having my hair done by Haim....a treat! I could go on and on about this experience but best to put it this way ~ will definitely make this an annual trip to California because of this awesome hotel!

Room Tip: I prefer the 1st floor to have a walk out patio
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Fontana, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My love for The Grand Del Mar knows no boundaries. I just returned home after spending another three nights at quite possibly the finest resort I have ever been to.

My wife had the pleasure of joining me this trip and was equally impressed. We were gifted with the couple's massage at the Spa and both of us left on a cloud. Claudia my masseuse is an artist of the highest caliber. She asked me quietly what type of massage I required, and proceeded to work every knot in my body like she was attempting to extract information from a terrorist. Her hands should be registered as weapons of stress destruction.

No man of any size could have done what this 80lb (Soaking wet) woman did to me, and it was amazing. She left me in a puddle of jello and I hardly remember how I got back to my room for dinner.

The food at Amaya is unbelievable, the service is sublime. Every want or need is met with a speed and courtesy that is unmatched. In short the only reason we left at all is so we can return again.

Green Features: This resort enhances the environment it inhabits, NOTHING is out of place, and the surroundings are incredible.
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed four glorious days at this fine resort. I'm fortunate enough to travel extensively and have stayed at some of the most amazing resorts on the planet. The Grand is one of them. Lindsey on the front desk was very accomodating at check in and the next evening she sent a complimentary cheese tray and sparking water to my room. The service is over the top! Katie in the salon was wonderful. Jonathan in the lobby bar was also wonderful. A massage by Scott in the Spa was perfect. A very gracious staff! My room was beautful and huge! The grounds also beautiful. The adult only pool where the Spa is located was my favorite place to hang out. I did take the car service into La Jolla and found that to be accomodating as well. The hotel was at 90% capacity. I had no problem with scheduling the car service. I ate breakfast there daily. Yum!!! I ordered room service one evening and my dinner was delicious, prompt delivery and pick up.I plan on bringing my son there next fall to experience The Grand through his eyes and check out more of what San Deigo has to offer. I would recemmend The Grand to anyone. Just lovely.

Room Tip: i was travelling alone and had booked the Grand King room. It was huge and beautifully appointed.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Grand Del Mar? Share your experiences!