“Had a blast at the Grand Del Mar!” 5 of 5 stars

3rd Night Complimentary
Ranked #1 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fort Myers, Florida, United States
“Had a blast at the Grand Del Mar!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed a week at the Grand Del Mar and it was awesome. THE more beautiful hotel we have ever stayed at, and we have stayed at quite a few. Just hanging out in the library is cool. If you go, make sure you walk the grounds and take pictures. We actually had some professional pics done at and around the hotel, which, management wasn't too hot on but worked out anyway. Make sure you walk through the entire hotel as there are some killer staircases and walkways INSIDE too

Room Tip: The view of the courtyard was cool
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Mill Creek, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

A truly outstanding resort. My wife and I flew to San Diego to celebrate our 25th anniversary and spent three nights at the Grand Del Mar. I had read the reviews about the service and thought maybe people were exaggerating but they weren't. Shortly after we checked in, the hotel sent champagne on ice and a chocolate mousse with "Happy 25th Anniversary" written in chocolate on the plate. The room was immaculate as was the entire hotel. Every surface would pass the glove test. All the staff makes eye contact and greets you - although they don't really need to stand to the side when you pass them in the hall. You can sense they appreciate you being there. I didn't have high expectations of the Amaya restaurant as hotel restaurants sometimes don't try very hard but it was superb. We had two brunches and a dinner there. And the price was not unreasonable either. The workout facility was also excellent. No worn out ellipticals and rusted out machines. Everything was in top condition and they had real workout equipment like a Stairmill, bench press, and free weights/dumbbells. Only hung out at the adult pool and that whole area was very clean and new. I originally booked the room at a higher rate then by chance searched the internet again before we flew down and found a cheaper 3rd night free rate which they honored with no problem. Only valet parked for one night but they charged me for three and again they removed the two extra days with no problem. It's not far from most S.D. attractions. We hope to be back soon and wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I just stayed at this hotel for the second time and it was just as amazing as the first time! The staff is well-trained and providing incredible service is the culture. Upon check-in you are given cold hand towels soaked in eucalyptus which is a nice touch and great way to begin your stay. Our room on the first floor was well appointed and in a great location with a patio that was private and peaceful. I was able to enjoy the adult-only pool on 2 occasions and it was wonderful. They set up your chair with great big, soft towels along w a neck roll. Periodically through the afternoon the staff comes around with wonderful treats- cool cucumber slices w lemon, mini fruit lemonades-nice touch. The pool menu offers wonderful and reasonably priced selections and so wonderful in fact that on our last night we were craving one of the salads from the pool menu and Drew in the lobby lounge was accommodating and allowed us to order it even though the pool was already closed....it was delicious! We enjoyed the complimentary car service with Jeff (delightful) to Del Mar and La Jolla and strongly suggest making arrangements before you check in. Vladimir in Amaya Restaurant was attentive and provided incredible service although he was not my waiter either time I dined there. I was able to experience the spa on this trip and it did not disappoint! Scott was an incredible massage therapist and I loved having my hair done by Haim....a treat! I could go on and on about this experience but best to put it this way ~ will definitely make this an annual trip to California because of this awesome hotel!

Room Tip: I prefer the 1st floor to have a walk out patio
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Fontana, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My love for The Grand Del Mar knows no boundaries. I just returned home after spending another three nights at quite possibly the finest resort I have ever been to.

My wife had the pleasure of joining me this trip and was equally impressed. We were gifted with the couple's massage at the Spa and both of us left on a cloud. Claudia my masseuse is an artist of the highest caliber. She asked me quietly what type of massage I required, and proceeded to work every knot in my body like she was attempting to extract information from a terrorist. Her hands should be registered as weapons of stress destruction.

No man of any size could have done what this 80lb (Soaking wet) woman did to me, and it was amazing. She left me in a puddle of jello and I hardly remember how I got back to my room for dinner.

The food at Amaya is unbelievable, the service is sublime. Every want or need is met with a speed and courtesy that is unmatched. In short the only reason we left at all is so we can return again.

Green Features: This resort enhances the environment it inhabits, NOTHING is out of place, and the surroundings are incredible.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed four glorious days at this fine resort. I'm fortunate enough to travel extensively and have stayed at some of the most amazing resorts on the planet. The Grand is one of them. Lindsey on the front desk was very accomodating at check in and the next evening she sent a complimentary cheese tray and sparking water to my room. The service is over the top! Katie in the salon was wonderful. Jonathan in the lobby bar was also wonderful. A massage by Scott in the Spa was perfect. A very gracious staff! My room was beautful and huge! The grounds also beautiful. The adult only pool where the Spa is located was my favorite place to hang out. I did take the car service into La Jolla and found that to be accomodating as well. The hotel was at 90% capacity. I had no problem with scheduling the car service. I ate breakfast there daily. Yum!!! I ordered room service one evening and my dinner was delicious, prompt delivery and pick up.I plan on bringing my son there next fall to experience The Grand through his eyes and check out more of what San Deigo has to offer. I would recemmend The Grand to anyone. Just lovely.

Room Tip: i was travelling alone and had booked the Grand King room. It was huge and beautifully appointed.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for 3 night in mid September, and simply put, this was one of the best resorts we have ever stayed at. Wish we had longer in the San Diego area. Our check in was easy, and Abicar(I think that was his name) made our entire experience memorable. We had a great room with a covered, outside balcony, which we sat on every morning for coffee and every night for wine. We dined at Amaya on our first night, and the food, wine and atmosphere were wonderful. My wife lost a bracelet at a restaurant in La Jollie on the first night, and the consierge sent a car back to pick it up......very service oriented. The Resort was magnificent, very close in proximity to great restaurants in Del Mar and La Jolle, and an easy ride into San Diego. I look forward to more visits in the future.....what a place!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a covered balcony that has chairs....not all do.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
san jose, california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

3 nights/4 days. It was superb, gracious, beautiful and the food very good. I truly felt as though I relaxed and got away. Our kids felt extra pampered with their personalized cookie and enjoyed the smores at the campfire. We felt personal attention every step of the way. We had fun playing chess in the game room in the evenings, or strolling around the grounds and listening to evening music. We all loved our suite, it was beautiful. I loved the tub. The pools were fabulous, could not pull the kids away. Awesome golf course with a few golf celebrity spottings. Loved my massage, however I just couldn't find myself to spend $200 for a mani/pedi when a 10 minute drive gave me the same for $30 with the extras. We loved the restaurant on the grounds. also enjoyed the poolside food service as well as Amaya. Ifyou need time to be pampered and live in SoCal go to Grand Del Mar. If you are in Northern California, Meadwood still takes the cake. A Grand time indeed! It was hard to leave.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Grand Del Mar? Share your experiences!