“The staff does not know the word no” 5 of 5 stars

3rd Night Complimentary
Ranked #1 of 269 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas
“The staff does not know the word no”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I just stayed at this hotel for the second time and it was just as amazing as the first time! The staff is well-trained and providing incredible service is the culture. Upon check-in you are given cold hand towels soaked in eucalyptus which is a nice touch and great way to begin your stay. Our room on the first floor was well appointed and in a great location with a patio that was private and peaceful. I was able to enjoy the adult-only pool on 2 occasions and it was wonderful. They set up your chair with great big, soft towels along w a neck roll. Periodically through the afternoon the staff comes around with wonderful treats- cool cucumber slices w lemon, mini fruit lemonades-nice touch. The pool menu offers wonderful and reasonably priced selections and so wonderful in fact that on our last night we were craving one of the salads from the pool menu and Drew in the lobby lounge was accommodating and allowed us to order it even though the pool was already closed....it was delicious! We enjoyed the complimentary car service with Jeff (delightful) to Del Mar and La Jolla and strongly suggest making arrangements before you check in. Vladimir in Amaya Restaurant was attentive and provided incredible service although he was not my waiter either time I dined there. I was able to experience the spa on this trip and it did not disappoint! Scott was an incredible massage therapist and I loved having my hair done by Haim....a treat! I could go on and on about this experience but best to put it this way ~ will definitely make this an annual trip to California because of this awesome hotel!

Room Tip: I prefer the 1st floor to have a walk out patio
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Fontana, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My love for The Grand Del Mar knows no boundaries. I just returned home after spending another three nights at quite possibly the finest resort I have ever been to.

My wife had the pleasure of joining me this trip and was equally impressed. We were gifted with the couple's massage at the Spa and both of us left on a cloud. Claudia my masseuse is an artist of the highest caliber. She asked me quietly what type of massage I required, and proceeded to work every knot in my body like she was attempting to extract information from a terrorist. Her hands should be registered as weapons of stress destruction.

No man of any size could have done what this 80lb (Soaking wet) woman did to me, and it was amazing. She left me in a puddle of jello and I hardly remember how I got back to my room for dinner.

The food at Amaya is unbelievable, the service is sublime. Every want or need is met with a speed and courtesy that is unmatched. In short the only reason we left at all is so we can return again.

Green Features: This resort enhances the environment it inhabits, NOTHING is out of place, and the surroundings are incredible.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed four glorious days at this fine resort. I'm fortunate enough to travel extensively and have stayed at some of the most amazing resorts on the planet. The Grand is one of them. Lindsey on the front desk was very accomodating at check in and the next evening she sent a complimentary cheese tray and sparking water to my room. The service is over the top! Katie in the salon was wonderful. Jonathan in the lobby bar was also wonderful. A massage by Scott in the Spa was perfect. A very gracious staff! My room was beautful and huge! The grounds also beautiful. The adult only pool where the Spa is located was my favorite place to hang out. I did take the car service into La Jolla and found that to be accomodating as well. The hotel was at 90% capacity. I had no problem with scheduling the car service. I ate breakfast there daily. Yum!!! I ordered room service one evening and my dinner was delicious, prompt delivery and pick up.I plan on bringing my son there next fall to experience The Grand through his eyes and check out more of what San Deigo has to offer. I would recemmend The Grand to anyone. Just lovely.

Room Tip: i was travelling alone and had booked the Grand King room. It was huge and beautifully appointed.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for 3 night in mid September, and simply put, this was one of the best resorts we have ever stayed at. Wish we had longer in the San Diego area. Our check in was easy, and Abicar(I think that was his name) made our entire experience memorable. We had a great room with a covered, outside balcony, which we sat on every morning for coffee and every night for wine. We dined at Amaya on our first night, and the food, wine and atmosphere were wonderful. My wife lost a bracelet at a restaurant in La Jollie on the first night, and the consierge sent a car back to pick it up......very service oriented. The Resort was magnificent, very close in proximity to great restaurants in Del Mar and La Jolle, and an easy ride into San Diego. I look forward to more visits in the future.....what a place!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a covered balcony that has chairs....not all do.
san jose, california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

3 nights/4 days. It was superb, gracious, beautiful and the food very good. I truly felt as though I relaxed and got away. Our kids felt extra pampered with their personalized cookie and enjoyed the smores at the campfire. We felt personal attention every step of the way. We had fun playing chess in the game room in the evenings, or strolling around the grounds and listening to evening music. We all loved our suite, it was beautiful. I loved the tub. The pools were fabulous, could not pull the kids away. Awesome golf course with a few golf celebrity spottings. Loved my massage, however I just couldn't find myself to spend $200 for a mani/pedi when a 10 minute drive gave me the same for $30 with the extras. We loved the restaurant on the grounds. also enjoyed the poolside food service as well as Amaya. Ifyou need time to be pampered and live in SoCal go to Grand Del Mar. If you are in Northern California, Meadwood still takes the cake. A Grand time indeed! It was hard to leave.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Westlake Village, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed here four days, three nights for a quick vacation and birthday celebration. I've stayed in many 4 Seasons and Ritz Carltons, but this is by far the best. This is a one-off independent property that claims 15 stars, a 5 star hotel, 5 star restaurant, and 5 star spa. The grounds and buildings are superb, gate guarded, very private and very tranquil. Separate pools for adults and children. Magnificent wrap around golf course. The concierge got us reservations and tables that I am sure we would never have been able to get ourselves. This was a goldilocks experience, everything was just right.

Room Tip: The top two stories out of three have verandas. Ask for the back side overlooking the courtyard.
ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

My husband and I had a fabulous time at this gorgeous hotel! The rooms are superb I love the Nespresso Coffee Makers in the room as you can have a great cup of espresso at any time. The bar and restaurant offer superb food and drink. The spa services are the best in the business. At this time of year the Summer clothes are on sale as they make room for the next line. The Designer bargains are a reason to go back when the season changes next. We are talking 80% off J Brand jeans. Multiple golf courses may be found if you like to swing a club. Sailing is a wonderful way to take in a Sunset. We were at the Del for a full moon which was an excellent show at the end of a perfect day.

Room Tip: Room 178 is close to the Spa, has a private garden patio in which espresso may be enjoyed and is a f...
Green Features: I insist on placing the same film on our windows at home as the Hotel Del has as it definitely makes the sunniest room feel a little cooler!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Grand Del Mar? Share your experiences!