“worthy of their 5 diamond rating” 5 of 5 stars

3rd Night Complimentary
Ranked #1 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Carlsbad, California
“worthy of their 5 diamond rating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We were at the Grand Del Mar the Friday that LeBron James and party arrived... My first comment is the staff handled the unusual large group of guests arriving without wanting to be noticed very well. My husband and I had a light dinner on the terrace and it was lovely, we were given the level of service and attention that we would expect any other night.
My only complaint (but also now knowing after the fact, trying to keep the location a secret) The Club M was closed (not mentioned on website) , booked by a private party.. was not made known to us until our arrival...
We walked thru the hotel, went thru the wine cellar/room.. a beautifully appointed area by the entrance to the Amaya restaurant..
It is not in Del Mar, but out in the semi country... This is a great place to get away, with nicely appointed rooms and amenities(pool, golf, equestrian riding, spa and restaurants).
As we do not live far this is a wonderful staycation destination.
I am going for the afternoon tea in a few weeks, and I am expecting only perfection and continued attention to detail.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The Grand Del Mar is a true 5 star experience. The grounds are beautiful, the staff excellent and the rooms luxurious. The hotel is really several experiences in one. Quite adult pool area with wonderful drink, food service. A beach like pool for families a tennis area and a golf area. You can select a room overlooking whichever you prefer. The Addison is a gourmet foodie delight. Drinks on the veranda overlooking the golf course. Perfect in every way.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We found this hotel on TripAdvisor and what a gem! This beautiful and huge hotel is barely six years old and is so well maintained and so elegant, that we wished we could live there!

So much to tell: the stunning landscaped grounds and the elegant furnishings and design with marble floors, antique furniture, chandeliers and detail everywhere.

And the service.... Everyone was so attentive and professional. As an example, I had forgotten to bring my toothbrush and toothpaste, so I called to see if there was a store in the hotel. Five minutes later, they delivered a complimentary dental kit to our room!

My husband and I used the spa for manicures and pedicures which were worth the price. There is a big fitness center, as well as two big heated saltwater pools.

We ate at one of the restaurants that overlooks the massive grounds and golf course. There is so much to do, but we were only there for three nights. The hotel has a car and driver to take us just about anywhere and we went to La Jolla to see the seals and walk around the shops and restaurants.

You just cannot believe how large this hotel is! And our room was so beautiful with a marble bathroom and nice balcony. There is turn down service where they leave chocolate covered cookies on the pillow and replace bottles of water everyday.

We can't wait to come back to this terrific hotel. Yes, it can be expensive, but it is so worth it!

Room Tip: We think all the rooms are fine, but we had a second floor room overlooking one of the pools.
Evanston, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We went here for a getaway weekend and it was perfect. Our room was extremely quiet - exactly what we needed! Once we had gotten some sleep, we checked out the Addison, which is a short walk away from the hotel. Our meal was one of the best we've ever had. We really enjoyed our room, which was large but better laid out than most, so that all of the different areas serve a purpose. The service, just as we had been led to believe, was impeccable. Everyone was friendly and knowledgeable, but more than that they went out of their way to make sure we had a good time. The cleaning lady even picked up our dirty clothes and put them in a bag for us! (We're runners, so that's a pretty big deal) In general, a great place to get away.

calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had a wonderful three day stay as a couple with a three year old. Our daughter looked around with delight, remarking on how 'fancy' things were, and we luxuriated in the gorgeous surroundings and appreciated the pools.

Many thanks to the concierge service and Isreal, security supervisor, for re-connecting our daughter with her 'pink blanky' and for advising us about an agency that has about 3 decades of babysitting experience at hotels. The child caregiver who arrived, wowed our little one with bringing age appropriate toys, allowing us time to enjoy the adult pool and go out for lunch and visit to the Contemporary Art Museum downtown - the 'Guards' film was eye opening!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Yes, all the other reviews are true - this is an amazing, luxurious place to stay. From the minute you check in at the security gate and begin the winding drive, your view becomes that of rolling hills, golf course, million dollar residences, and then...the Grand Del Mar. It didn't get rated as one of the top six resorts in the world without good reason!

Reminiscent of a luxurious and massive Tuscan compound nestled in the hills, the Grand oozes quiet tranquility and discreet but highly attentive service. Every employee we encountered throughout the property made eye contact, greeted us and often inquired about our stay. But all was done in a non-intrusive, non-aggressive way.

We stayed in a basic room and it was truly gorgeous and spacious. The large marble bathroom, huge - and very deep - tub, double vanity and separate shower were all beautiful. Our bedroom had a comfy lounging couch with ottoman, two desks and large bed. Note - this would probably be my only complaint - the mattress was sagging in the middle, which made for sore backs in the morning. All in all, it was perfection and I can only imagine what the larger, premium rooms were like!

Water bottles were provided daily and my husband's phone charger cord was neatly tied up with a nice ribbon. Each night we had turn down service while we were out. Upon our return, our slippers were placed out, the covers turned down, and we found chocolates and rose petals on the bed!

To celebrate our upcoming anniversary/my birthday, my hubby and I had massage treatments in the spa - our massage therapists were outstanding and the while the spa areas (men's lounge, women's lounge, etc.) were smaller than I expected, the quality of the surroundings and service more than made up for the limited space. One downside - no couple's lounge area other than sitting outside by the pool w/other pool goers. Given that it was pretty warm out and we were in thick robes awaiting our treatments, this wasn't the best option for couples wanting to relax together. But again, this is being a little nitpicky.

Finally - we splurged one more time to round out our spectacular stay with a six-course dinner at The Addison, the 5-star, 5-diamond restaurant with chef William Bradley. It was a perfect meal.

As long as you know and are comfortable with the pricing, then you will adore staying at the Grand. At a minimum, I consider it a "must stay" at least once for that once-in-a-lifetime experience. Located 15 minutes from the hustle and bustle of beachside Del Mar, the quiet luxury and attentive service made our special occasion trip unforgettable.

Venice
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

You simply cannot find a more perfect hotel. Anywhere. It's a leisurely sprawl of a place that rambles lazily over a green hill leaving the entrance and valet up on the third floor, rooms down below facing the back or a little plaza overlooking more rolling hills and outstanding landscaped gardens. Complete with gargantuan sculptures of stone men carving themselves free and sparkling fountains with excited horses spitting back into a pool. It feels like a Mediterranean estate. Gold leaf, plaster, ironwork all of which is drop dead awesome but not in a Vegas way.

It's oddly organic and hides the many humans that must be somewhere in all of it's little nooks and covered patios to sip a drink or ask your person to spend the rest of their life with you.. Some have said that it's over done and too lavish - but they are poopyheads and dead wrong - it's a CASTLE and you are having the StayCation of your life. The attention to detail and warmth is completely captured and it becomes a memorable event however you wish to explore it.

And I wished to explore it by dragging my two boys, ages 4 and 10 along with me while we battled Seaworld, The Zoo and even Legoland in 90 degree heat. It was the most perfect hotel for them as well.

There were kids running about, little dogs being walked an amazing salt water pool with underwater music. We had room service each and every breakfast and dinner in front of a fire pit outside of our ground floor room.. Glamping in the most civilized way.

The hotel has something called The Explorer's club which means you can drop the kids off in a lovely, although windowless (which kind of stinks) place full of games and happy, energetic college babysitters - the kind of which you have always wanted to find where you live. We had the mixed bag of opportunity by coming to The Grand Mar just after their busy summer season: less people, better room choice and a Pay 2 nights get the 3rd for free; We also got crummy hours for The Explorer's Club.. 9-5. Which makes zero sense to me since most parents will run around and play all day at all that San Diego offers (all of which are under 1/2 an hour drive) then wish for a fancy dinner without fried kids from, say 6-8.. The kids can play with some new stuff and a happy, relaxed babysitter and mom and dad had a wonderful dinner and maybe had a chance for some sexy alone time in their empty room; all meeting up for a relaxed sleeptime. But no the hotel during the week closes this Saving Grace at a hideous 5pm. But open til 10 during the weekends. During this mid week visit it was as if we had the place to ourselves and that must be playing into this review and our experience.

Before I hang up, I have to talk a little about the service - and the croissants. The croissants, "baked upstairs" by some angel of a pastry chef are the best I've ever had and I've had them in Paris. They are BEYOND and an absolute must. I brought my own Nutella and only smeared once never wanting to blur the perfect crust and taste of their naked, flakey selves again.

The staff is absolutely beyond. KInd, efficient. The room cleaners were Cinderellas and the women who come by to turn down the beds and hand over chocolate covered oreos were divine. In Room dining was another hit with wonderful prepared and perfectly cooked food every single time.

I must tell you that the teaming of Adam and Abukar at reception is what made this trip even more outrageously perfect for us. These two are the Cirque de Soleil performing team of hotel care. One could make a hospitality video of these two swinging from the chandeliers making your stay applause and gasp worthy for any hotel to try and emulate in their corporate arsenal. They can teach much to the dozens of hotels I've been to. Humans are what ultimately make our experiences stand out one way or the other - and this was precisely the right way..

When we come back I will move our schedule around to be sure that I may see Adam and Abukar during our visit. Unless they work on weekends - which I think I'll always avoid just in case the possibility of many humans, wait times, slower in room service or employee stress ruins the taste I have in my mouth as I teary eyed drive away from this place and both boys begging me to stay one more night.

Room Tip: If you have kids get on the ground floor so they may step outside and get some fresh air, get to the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Grand Del Mar? Share your experiences!