“Special Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Special Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Just read a review of someone who said this wasn't a place for kids. I couldn't disagree more. We took our ten and twelve year olds here for a week and everyone had a blast. The service was top-notch and they catered to our every need. The family pool was perfect and my wife and I both enjoyed the spa. I got a massage on my next to last day and I wish I could have had time for another. If you do get a deep-tissue massage, be sure to ask for Christina B. She was the real deal, a thai massage trained expert, and she left me with stretches to last a lifetime. Also, the workout room was first class.

The hotel location is ideal and it is quiet and beautiful. We drove to Disneyland, which only took 1:20 minutes. Sea World and the San Diego Zoo were both only 20 minutes away. The Aquarium and Safari are also close by. We all loved the Sea World and, of course, Disney. Del Mar Racetrack was ten minutes close and it was great to be there as well. Don't forget to go to Del Mar beach. The hotel provided transportation to and from, and supplied us with chairs, towels, umbrellas and water. The beach was beautiful!!

The rooms are large and beautiful. We put in for a suite, but they were all booked. The room with two double beds was more than fine, but next time I would book a suite. It's only $200/night to upgrade once you are there and they are big and gorgeous. Be sure to put the Do Not Disturb light on if you don't want room service knocking on your door early in the morning,

If I could fix anything, I would upgrade the carpeting (our room looked like it needed a change). Also, the art in the main lobby area should be upgraded to the real thing. I could do wonders with it (being that I am an art dealer). Cudos to the person responsible for the flower arrangment in the main lobby...truly a work of art.

I highly rcommend the Grand Del Mar for a family vacation and to couples looking to get away. Traveling from New York was not fun, but it turned out to be well worth the hassle.

749 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Santa Ana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I have been truly amazed with the Grand Del Mar from the very start on the drive in. It is inland and hidden so it will be a place that will allow you to truly relax. They have two pools one for children and one for adults. The adult pool is a tranquility pool that does not allow cell phone usage so you will truly have an opportunity to be one with your thoughts. The service at the pool was excellent and the lava flow was perfect. If you want to wander around the property you can do so on the trails. One of the trails was not available on my visit but that was okay since the hotel property was large enough to take my walk. When you go to lunch make sure that you order the shrimp as your appetizer as the red sauce had a truly amazing taste that required me to dip the bread when no one was looking. :-) I would also make sure you order the cheesecake and a cappuccino to finish off the lunch.
Now as far as the spa is concerned you need to get a facial (yes you too guys) and ask for Jen. OMG, I told Jen that I did not know whether or not I was asleep or awake. Amazing! The sauna, steam room and jacuzzi were perfect and if you want to just hang out in that area you can.

I did not play golf while I was here, but loved looking at the course from the room and know that the balls would have gone straight since these holes near the hotel were soo wide. Have fun and enjoy yourselves.

Green Features: I loved that some folks brought their dogs. Didn't hear any dogs, but did see them.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We spent July 4 of last year in a Toscana suite. We are a family of 5 -- with twin 6-year-olds and a 3-year old toddler. The hotel staff couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating, the rooms were so comfortable and beautiful and the food was simply fantastic. One night we stayed in and ordered room service -- we asked for candles and special breads and the hotel staff outdid themselves. And then the hotel topped itself -- they put on a 4th of July beyond anything my husband and I have ever seen anywhere. There was a fabulous country rock-n-roll band that performed the pledge of allegiance to music followed by a fireworks display only seen in dreams or movies. An extravagant buffet and music went on into the night. The suite had a kitchenette - fully appointed - and a dining room. At one point I realized that the dining room table finish was incredible -- no matter what my kids spilled on it - the liquid beaded up. Before we left I asked the concierge if she could find out what they had done to finish the table -- this is something I could certainly use at home!! We checked out on a Saturday -- can you imagine my surprise and delight when a hotel engineer called me --- on Sunday!! --- to tell me about the table and send me a tear sheet?! The hotel may be pricey -- but we can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We prefer a high room with a balcony. But that's just us.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

From the time of our arrival to the time of our departure this resort was top notch and well deserving of its five star reputation. We were at the hotel for our honeymoon and we could not have spent it at a better place! The service was excellent, the pools were beautiful and relaxing (in fact we were enamored that the tranquility pool has classical music playing under water), and the rooms were divine. Thank you for a wonderful stay, we really enjoyed ourselves. We will be back soon!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New Canaan, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We have been going to the GDM every year for five years and NEVER get tired of it - we continue to be in awe of the beauty of the resort and the incredible hospitality of the staff. Its a place for families or couples or any combination. Tennis, swim, horseback-riding, spa, fine food, etc, etc. So many activities- something for everyone in the most welcoming and elegant atmosphere. What we love the most is that while its a very luxurious and high-end hotel, it is NEVER pretentious. Our family has so many memories here - a great place to gather and just enjoy and of course San Diego is one of the best destinations in the country and in our view the Grand Del Mar is the only place to stay. Be prepared to be wowed !

Room Tip: The Villas are absolutely incredible but really, ALL their rooms are just exquisite in furnishings a...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

The Grand Del Mar has become the location of my annual birthday getaway! From the moment you pull up, the beauty of this resort is evident as well as high level
of service which starts at the door. Everyone is almost tripping over themselves trying to accommodate you.

I recommend staying in a Terrace King room which is especially fabulous for the fact that is opens directly to the adult relaxation pool, so nice to have private access! The room is just how you'd imagine a guest room if you were staying at The White House, grand on every level. High ceilings, richly appointed, best ever hotel bed, large bathroom with extra deep sunken tub, heaven, heaven, heaven.

The relaxation pool is gorgeous too, kept at just the right temperature and even has underwater music playing for your swimming enjoyment. The policy at the pool is supposed to be quiet, however both visits here I have been disappointed that staff did not enforce this policy and I could clearly hear conversations with ear plugs in. Also I found the pool service to be lacking as they never came around to inform that the kitchen was closing or to announce a last call. I wanted to order food but was 15 minutes too late.

On the flip side, I overheard/saw a spa attendant bring over gluten-free muffins to a guest which I quickly inquired about. She was kind enough to go and bring me back some as well, on the house no less...Now THAT is service!

If they could just step up the pool service to match the staff at the rest of the hotel and could keep the adult pool truly quiet, I'd probably never leave. Staying here is a MUST-DO if you have the opportunity.

• Stayed August 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 1 night this week, the resort was nice & the room was wonderful.
The problem with this hotel is....it's not suitable for family with kids (esp if you have toddlers)..the guests were giving us certain uncomfortable looks when one of our kids was crying (maybe that has never happened to them..having a kid crying around them). Then when my toddler was running into the cafe, the guests were giving the similar uncoomfortable looks...ok, we get it....you just want the quiet or peaceful stay.
The worts was the next morning when my eldest (he's 5 y.o) was moving the balcony chair so he could drink his milk properly in his chair, one of thelady guest (from downstair) was screaming to us: stop moving that chair, please!
It was 8:15am...with the checkout time at 11 am, one would need time to wake up, shower or swimming then eat breakfast...maybe this lady was a late riser..total snob! If u want a complete peace of urself, why not stay at the villa instead...
The kiddy pool was nice...until one waiter approached me & with his serious look, he said: you can not sit in this chair, because this section is already reserved by other guests, meaning it would be prepared 30 mins prior, so you need to move to the other part. If you want to sit here, you would need to wait if they cancel.
I was blown away...with his rude words & judgemental look (maybe because we're asians?!?!). I decided not to level down & move to the other section...
The "reserved" section had no sign only towels being laid out, i thought it was prepared for guests, any guests!
And who the heck cares if they cancel...you should just said it nicely, not as if we don't pay the same dollars as others...
I was pissed & asked my sons to get off from pool, packed our bags & checked out asap!!! What a disrespectful manner coming from a waiter of such grand hotel...
I leave you with this tips:
1) you need to whisper when you talk in balcony to avoid weird/annoyed stare
2) you need to low your expectations in order to enjoy this hotel with your lil kids....
Sorry, the hotel was nice and glam, but the level of the service is not that nice..

• Stayed August 2013
TheGrandDelMar, Manager at The Grand Del Mar, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the discomfort you experienced during your stay. Families are celebrated at The Grand Del Mar, and we are committed to ensuring guests of all ages enjoy their time with us. From wild animal visits and movie nights to sand castle building and the Explorer’s Club, family-friendly fun is a key component of our activity offerings. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you and your family back.

Nenad Praporski, Executive Director of Rooms
The Grand Del Mar

Been to The Grand Del Mar? Share your experiences!