“Awesome. We still dream about going back!!” 5 of 5 stars

Summer Getaway Package
Ranked #1 of 269 hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Awesome. We still dream about going back!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We spent July 4 of last year in a Toscana suite. We are a family of 5 -- with twin 6-year-olds and a 3-year old toddler. The hotel staff couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating, the rooms were so comfortable and beautiful and the food was simply fantastic. One night we stayed in and ordered room service -- we asked for candles and special breads and the hotel staff outdid themselves. And then the hotel topped itself -- they put on a 4th of July beyond anything my husband and I have ever seen anywhere. There was a fabulous country rock-n-roll band that performed the pledge of allegiance to music followed by a fireworks display only seen in dreams or movies. An extravagant buffet and music went on into the night. The suite had a kitchenette - fully appointed - and a dining room. At one point I realized that the dining room table finish was incredible -- no matter what my kids spilled on it - the liquid beaded up. Before we left I asked the concierge if she could find out what they had done to finish the table -- this is something I could certainly use at home!! We checked out on a Saturday -- can you imagine my surprise and delight when a hotel engineer called me --- on Sunday!! --- to tell me about the table and send me a tear sheet?! The hotel may be pricey -- but we can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We prefer a high room with a balcony. But that's just us.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

808 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

From the time of our arrival to the time of our departure this resort was top notch and well deserving of its five star reputation. We were at the hotel for our honeymoon and we could not have spent it at a better place! The service was excellent, the pools were beautiful and relaxing (in fact we were enamored that the tranquility pool has classical music playing under water), and the rooms were divine. Thank you for a wonderful stay, we really enjoyed ourselves. We will be back soon!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New Canaan, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We have been going to the GDM every year for five years and NEVER get tired of it - we continue to be in awe of the beauty of the resort and the incredible hospitality of the staff. Its a place for families or couples or any combination. Tennis, swim, horseback-riding, spa, fine food, etc, etc. So many activities- something for everyone in the most welcoming and elegant atmosphere. What we love the most is that while its a very luxurious and high-end hotel, it is NEVER pretentious. Our family has so many memories here - a great place to gather and just enjoy and of course San Diego is one of the best destinations in the country and in our view the Grand Del Mar is the only place to stay. Be prepared to be wowed !

Room Tip: The Villas are absolutely incredible but really, ALL their rooms are just exquisite in furnishings a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

The Grand Del Mar has become the location of my annual birthday getaway! From the moment you pull up, the beauty of this resort is evident as well as high level
of service which starts at the door. Everyone is almost tripping over themselves trying to accommodate you.

I recommend staying in a Terrace King room which is especially fabulous for the fact that is opens directly to the adult relaxation pool, so nice to have private access! The room is just how you'd imagine a guest room if you were staying at The White House, grand on every level. High ceilings, richly appointed, best ever hotel bed, large bathroom with extra deep sunken tub, heaven, heaven, heaven.

The relaxation pool is gorgeous too, kept at just the right temperature and even has underwater music playing for your swimming enjoyment. The policy at the pool is supposed to be quiet, however both visits here I have been disappointed that staff did not enforce this policy and I could clearly hear conversations with ear plugs in. Also I found the pool service to be lacking as they never came around to inform that the kitchen was closing or to announce a last call. I wanted to order food but was 15 minutes too late.

On the flip side, I overheard/saw a spa attendant bring over gluten-free muffins to a guest which I quickly inquired about. She was kind enough to go and bring me back some as well, on the house no less...Now THAT is service!

If they could just step up the pool service to match the staff at the rest of the hotel and could keep the adult pool truly quiet, I'd probably never leave. Staying here is a MUST-DO if you have the opportunity.

• Stayed August 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 1 night this week, the resort was nice & the room was wonderful.
The problem with this hotel is....it's not suitable for family with kids (esp if you have toddlers)..the guests were giving us certain uncomfortable looks when one of our kids was crying (maybe that has never happened to them..having a kid crying around them). Then when my toddler was running into the cafe, the guests were giving the similar uncoomfortable looks...ok, we get it....you just want the quiet or peaceful stay.
The worts was the next morning when my eldest (he's 5 y.o) was moving the balcony chair so he could drink his milk properly in his chair, one of thelady guest (from downstair) was screaming to us: stop moving that chair, please!
It was 8:15am...with the checkout time at 11 am, one would need time to wake up, shower or swimming then eat breakfast...maybe this lady was a late riser..total snob! If u want a complete peace of urself, why not stay at the villa instead...
The kiddy pool was nice...until one waiter approached me & with his serious look, he said: you can not sit in this chair, because this section is already reserved by other guests, meaning it would be prepared 30 mins prior, so you need to move to the other part. If you want to sit here, you would need to wait if they cancel.
I was blown away...with his rude words & judgemental look (maybe because we're asians?!?!). I decided not to level down & move to the other section...
The "reserved" section had no sign only towels being laid out, i thought it was prepared for guests, any guests!
And who the heck cares if they cancel...you should just said it nicely, not as if we don't pay the same dollars as others...
I was pissed & asked my sons to get off from pool, packed our bags & checked out asap!!! What a disrespectful manner coming from a waiter of such grand hotel...
I leave you with this tips:
1) you need to whisper when you talk in balcony to avoid weird/annoyed stare
2) you need to low your expectations in order to enjoy this hotel with your lil kids....
Sorry, the hotel was nice and glam, but the level of the service is not that nice..

• Stayed August 2013
TheGrandDelMar, Manager at The Grand Del Mar, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the discomfort you experienced during your stay. Families are celebrated at The Grand Del Mar, and we are committed to ensuring guests of all ages enjoy their time with us. From wild animal visits and movie nights to sand castle building and the Explorer’s Club, family-friendly fun is a key component of our activity offerings. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you and your family back.

Nenad Praporski, Executive Director of Rooms
Alamo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We took my mother in law here for her birthday. First the good--the hotel was exquisite--an incredibly beautiful Tuscan style resort with very ornate décor set in a beautiful canyon. The resort got off to a great start by letting my 5 year old daughter pick a treasure from a pirate treasure chest and they also left her a big cookie in our room upon arrival (which some people may not like, but we were OK with it). The food in Amaya and Club M was also very good albeit very pricey (entrees at Amaya were $20 to $50 and I suspect the budget conscious will go off property). We also had two memorable customer service experiences with Garrison (a waiter) and Dave (a Bellman) putting in perfect performances.

The bad--the hotel is pricey and you are nickeled and dimed for everything even though people have to pay a resort fee of $50 per day (our package waived this fee). Want to print a boarding pass? Pay. Want to use a computer in the business center? Pay. Want a plain bagel and a glass of orange juice? $10. The list goes on. In my view, if resort fees are standard, this kind of stuff should be included.

The bad--we had two very significant customer service failures at the hotel. At the pool, our towels were taken away while we were swimming. The problem was that my room key was thrown away/lost in the process. The pool manager went to get us a new one, but changed the key codes as a security precaution. The problem was...we had a grandmother wandering the resort and she now could not get into her room. My wife had to leave the pool and find her (the mother in law did not have a cell phone) and give her a new key. The problem was that my mother in law had wandered off to the golf resort and it took my wife 2 hours to track her down (she found her futilely trying to get in her room with the old key). The net effect was that my wife had lost an entire afternoon of precious time with her family and my elderly and infirm MIL wandered the resort homeless. The hotel did not seem to understand what they had done saying "it happens" and saying "we will take care of you at club M" where we were dining that night. We went to club M and had dinner. When the bill came, only our drinks were comped (two Diet Cokes and a glass of wine).

We were annoyed, but just let it slide and went to SeaWorld and LEGOLAND. On our final night, we started putting our 5 year old to bed at 7 PM (her normal bed time). During this process, very loud music started playing outside. The hotel was hosting a charity event with a band and large sound system literally 30 yards from our window. The music was so loud, the glass in our windows rattled. We put up with this until 9 PM when I called to complain. The volume went down a little, but not enough for sleep. I went downstairs and confronted the manager. I gave him a hard time about hosting a concert at a hotel at night and told him he should warn guests before they check in if they are going to host a night concert. I also reminded him of our poor treatment at the pool and asked for this nights stay to be free. He apologized profusely and graciously agreed to my request which saved me over $800 on two rooms.

The bottom line--this is a truly beautiful if pricey hotel. Service (excluding the notable failures) is very good. The hotel management seems a little lacking in empathy, but recovers nicely when you explain the consequences of their actions.

Room Tip: Ask about concerts at the hotel and stay on the other side of the property if you can. They will no...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for celebrating your mother-in-law’s birthday at The Grand Del Mar and sharing your review. It is wonderful to hear you took advantage of our Extra Grand Package offering a $50 resort credit per stay for use in The Spa, The Grand Golf Club or six dining venues. We want to assure you that this credit was not applied to a resort fee. We never charge a resort fee and are proud to offer a host of complimentary services and amenities, including in-room wired and wireless Internet access, transportation within a 14-mile radius, fitness classes and fitness center use, in-room bottled waters and espresso machines, self-parking and The Grand Beach Service among others.

We also offer complimentary boarding pass printing. If you were charged for this service, please respond to our private message at your convenience. We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns and look forward to welcoming you and your family back during your next trip to San Diego – another treasure and cookie await your daughter’s return!

Nenad Praporski, Executive Director of Rooms
Loveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I did a great deal of research prior to our trip to San Diego. The Grand Del Mar is a wonderful hotel which we believe lives up to its promise.
We found the staff outstanding. In fact , we checked out of the Grand Del Mar, to spend a few days in Palm Springs. Our entire family, wanted to go back, so we did. Cut our stay short in Palm Springs to return to the Grand Del Mar. The staff made our stay return stay , just as wonderful as our first few days at the Grand.
Our kids greatly enjoyed Vladamir, and Captain Kirk, Thank you for great recommendations from Jeff and the concierge staff. We loved kayaking and the pool. The golf course staff was wonderful to us. Very accommodating to jr. golfers. I want to add a side note about cleanliness, I am really picky. This place was amazing and very clean.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Grand Del Mar? Share your experiences!