“Grand and Elegant” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Loveland, Ohio
“Grand and Elegant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I did a great deal of research prior to our trip to San Diego. The Grand Del Mar is a wonderful hotel which we believe lives up to its promise.
We found the staff outstanding. In fact , we checked out of the Grand Del Mar, to spend a few days in Palm Springs. Our entire family, wanted to go back, so we did. Cut our stay short in Palm Springs to return to the Grand Del Mar. The staff made our stay return stay , just as wonderful as our first few days at the Grand.
Our kids greatly enjoyed Vladamir, and Captain Kirk, Thank you for great recommendations from Jeff and the concierge staff. We loved kayaking and the pool. The golf course staff was wonderful to us. Very accommodating to jr. golfers. I want to add a side note about cleanliness, I am really picky. This place was amazing and very clean.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

853 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is a gorgeous property. The rooms are luxurious. The staff friendly and attentive. Everything is in place for a sublime vacation.
Yet we are checking out a day early.
The problem is the hotel is overrun with children. Noisy children. Children who are in full voice at 6:30 on the morning. And with pleasant temperatures, sliding doors are open, allowing guests without children to share these early wake up calls. We are in a room that looks out into a courtyard that amplifies the sound. Across from me a young woman with her child on her lap is engaged in an animated conversation with another young parent a balcony over. It was not even 9 am. Adding to the fishwife feel, she left what appeared to be bathing suits hanging over the balcony to dry.
Now if you are in a Comfort Inn, you can deal with the annoyances. But when you are paying $400 a night, this is unacceptable.
When I called to change my departure date and explained why, the receptionist offered to change our room. I declined. That would not have helped solve the problem of kids, apparently tired of frolicking in the pool, playing tag at full voice on the grass in front of the Grand's restaurant, or some others loudly entertaining themselves on the lawn below our room. In both cases, management appeared oblivious.
The Grand does have an adult-only pool, which is a sanctuary. So why not then an adult-only wing, allowing curmudgeons like myself to relax in peace?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGrandDelMar, Manager at The Grand Del Mar, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and observations about your recent stay. We apologize for the disruptions you experienced. Families frequent the resort during the summertime and holidays. We take pride in catering to the desires of all our guests, and we will have a tranquil room waiting for your return.

Riverside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

this was our second stay at this property and it is just as beautiful as the first time. The craftmanship of the building is amazing, as if you were in a classic hotel in europe. The detail of wood working and stone in the building is the finest I've seen in ahotel in the U.S. The golf course is challanging and offers great views from the rooms. The staff is first rate, like a Four Seasons property.

Room Tip: Some rooms at the end of hall seem larger with a couch.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Like most of the other reviews I would agree on most things: grounds beautiful, rooms extremely nice, bedding exquisite, nice pools, great golf course ... but I did not leave here thinking it was a Grand experience - Mainly due to the front desk personnel. At check in, the front desk was a bit aloof. But I was ok with that and decided not to base my opinion on this hotel with a check in experience. The day prior to our check-out I called to inform the desk we would be taking advantage of late-check out - which was met with a "let me see if that is available", after the receptionist came back she replied, "oh you booked through Amex. so it is available" - the reply was not one of Oh my mistake that is fine - it was more like "Oh, we don't value your business because you booked through Amex" - frankly this was the same type of reaction upon check in. I get the feeling this hotel is not fond of the Amex Platinum Services booking. I do want to point out there were areas that we felt customer service was FANTASTIC - such as valet, pool staff and Vladamir at the restaurant - all those areas went over and beyond. Upon checking out of this hotel - we felt our experience was just good - not great - definitely not grand. They do not go out of their way for much - except in the areas that I mentioned above. Also we were excited about the hiking trails and horseback riding as shown on the website but both the trails and the horseback riding was closed during our stay- if this is important to you check this before booking.
I debated about even writing a review because this is not a bad place to stay and it could be grand... but
after we left Grand Del Mar, our travels took us to Pelican Hill in Newport Beach, where we had stayed before and I was quickly reminded of what Grand is and what Grand should be!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
TheGrandDelMar, Manager at The Grand Del Mar, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review. It is disappointing to hear your arrival and departure experiences at the front desk were not consistent with the service you received from Vladimir, as well as our pool and valet teams. We value your feedback and would like to speak with you personally. Please respond to our direct message at your convenience.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Check-in: Last minute change of plans meant that reservation was cancelled but then re-booked on the same day. Called the front desk from Houston to inform of late check in due to delayed flight. They said they would welcome us whenever we arrive in San Diego. Staff at front desk informed me that they could not find the booking when we reached GDM at 11pm. They had plenty of vacant rooms so they "accepted" us by assigning a ground level room which overlooked a nice garden setting. The person at front desk agreed to investigate the booking error/s and let us know what had happened the next day. Did not hear back from that employee after that weird check in experience.

Room: Impressive size and luxurious fittings are all around. Floor plan was interesting, the noise levels were hush quiet and the overall comfort factor was very high. Bed was squeaky and had cobwebs on the tall head side posts. Another mixed experience here.

Service: 11/10. Nothing more to say.

Eating options: The mini bar is filled with standard 5 star fare. Nothing exceptional could be found but still managed to run up a bill of $100 for the mini bar alone. In room dinner on first night was 8/10 which was somewhat expected because the chefs were probably snoozing by the time we ordered food. Dined at Club M the next day with prior reservations indicating that we would be celebrating our engagement. Welcome desk was not staffed when we walked in and we had to call them from inside the place to find and get seated at our table. Staff had reserved a nice table and along came the complimentary bubbly to celebrate our anniversary instead of the recent engagement. The servers apologized for the mix up and we were pleased with the overall experience. The complimentary cheese cake at the end was exceptional and definitely made up for the petty mix up at welcome. In room breakfast the next day was amazing.

Overall: 4/5 rating was solely secured by the service staff at GDM. All employees at GDM must pride themselves over the courtesy and accuracy of service extended to the guests and they rightly should. Zero personal touch from hotel and the staff with regards to the fact that we were celebrating our engagement was a miss. I expected at least a few nice flowers for my fiancée. There was no wow factor that would compel us to repeat the experience. Grand Del Mar was expected to be a rarity but it just turned out to be a norm.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGrandDelMar, Manager at The Grand Del Mar, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Congratulations on your recent engagement, and thank you for choosing to celebrate such a special occasion with us! We appreciate your detailed review and are working with our team to improve the experiences that fell short of perfection. It is wonderful to hear our colleagues delivered Five-Star service, and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back. We kindly invite you to respond to our private message.

matfen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Was fortunate enough to stay here for 3 nights, what an absolute pleasure. Everything about this place is perfect. The rooms are beautiful, the grounds amazing.The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in. Huge bathrooms with walk in closet and a tv, was lovely to sink into a deep bath and watch the tv. Customer service is second to none, was thoroughly looked after, the room maid neatly folded our cable ties with ribbons each day!!! We dined in both the Addison and the Amaya restaurants, both were delicious. My daughter had room service one evening, they bring it on a tray and neatly laid it out on the desk. It's very pricey here but worth it for a special treat.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Ladner, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I went for my niece's graduation from university in San Diego. I absolutely loved this hotel. The pool felt like silk and was the perfect temperature. I play 9 holes of golf and did really well until the sand traps on the 9th. The room was spacious and nicely appointed. I would love to go again but this was really a once in a lifetime for me so I'm happy I took advantage of it. Back to Bestwestern for me.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Grand Del Mar? Share your experiences!