“Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmond, Oklahoma
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This place was amazing. The property was gorgeous! Rooms large and comfortable, the bathrooms to die for! We had a small balcony with sliding doors and slept all nights with the doors open to the outside. Pure heaven! Milk chocolate dipped oreos or beautifully boxed chocolates were on the bed each night.

The staff went out of their way to be helpful with each and every request. Food at the restaurants was excellent. I took two of the workout classes that were held on a daily basis and enjoyed them both. Loved the instructors!

Wish we could have stayed longer but hope to be back in the future!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

818 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have to admit, my wife and I do not regularly stay in Five-Star establishments. Whatever you imagine that to be like The Grand Del Mar is that and more. I really cannot think of anything bad to say about our stay.

You are going to pay a premium to stay here (or any resort). For us, it was money well spent and we had the vacation of a lifetime.

I made my reservation online. After receiving the confirmation, I also got an email from the concierge. This started a thread of messages that lead to every activity and request I had for my trip being noted and planned (they even ask your shoe size for the slippers in your room and the spa).

Check-in was painless. They treated me like a valued guest from the moment the valet opened the door to my car. He took the bag and walked us to registration. The woman at registration was blindingly efficient with the business portion of our transaction and careful and thorough when reviewing our activities and preferences.

After asking if she could help in any other way, we were shown to our room. Many times website photos of hotel rooms give you the impression that the rooms are larger and nicer than they are. This is not the case at The Grand Del Mar. Important tip: get a Terrace Guest Room. You won’t regret it.

Everything about your stay will be personal. Each staff member we met asked about our stay, our activities, and if they could assist in anyway. Unlike customer service at many places, when these people offer to help they mean it. If the person you ask cannot handle your request, the person who can will appear instantly! Here are a couple of examples of the personal service and attention to detail we received.

Upon our arrival we requested a bucket of ice. The second night we requested a bucket of ice which they brought up to us. For the remainder of our stay a bucket of ice was placed in the room each evening, without a request. Like everyone, we leave the charging cables for electronics laying about in our room. Each time housekeeping came through they would wrap up each cable and tie it with a ribbon. Seriously, a ribbon (I have pictures).

We did not eat in every restaurant but we can personally recommend Amaya and Club M. Consult Yelp for restaurants off the property.

I don't know much about spa activities but I enjoyed my massage and manicure (my first one). I cannot comment on pool service because we did not use it. All the reservations through the concierge were exactly as requested. I used this trip as an opportunity to try some things I had never done before. Second tip: they have a car service to get you around but it helps to reserve with that early. I know it will not seem like it when they serve you, but there are other guests also requesting the car service.

Final tip: if you plan to have both a massage and a surfing lesson during your trip, schedule the massage after the surfing lesson, not the other way around.

As I said at the beginning, this was a dream trip.

Room Tip: Get a Terrace Room
Green Features: When you check-in the ask if you want to participate in their "green" program and explain what differences in room housekeeping that entails. Participate! You will not notice any reduction in service or cleanliness.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is breathtakingly beautiful with well manicured grounds and very nice rooms. We've stayed in many hotels and this is by far the best in many years. The only thing I could complain about is that their trails were closed during our stay, which was a mild disappointment. I can't see how you could regret a stay at this beautiful resort.

• Stayed July 2013
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

One word describes a stay at this hotel and that is SPECTACULAR! I will break it out into several areas.

Location: Is It on the ocean? No. Does that matter, No. And frankly the properties in this area that are on the ocean or with an ocean view, cannot touch the experience of the Grand. So you decide. Do you want a view or an entire experience? You will still have a fabulous view as the property is set on amazing grounds with fountains, lovely pools, gardens, and wide canyon views, so do not think that you are located inland with no view. That couldn't be further from the truth. And they do have beach service so they will set you up at the beach which is almost better!

Overall Property Appearance: As you enter, driving up the winding tree lined drive, you will have a stunning golf course on your right and beautiful homes on your left. At the top of the drive you begin to see the hotel to your right and it is absolutely beautiful. Beyond the hotel and a bit further up the drive is the entrance to the Golf Club and Addison's, the hotel's fine dining restaurant.

Rooms: We had two rooms that were adjoining but you entered a small foyer first, then to the right was the King room door and to the left was the double Queen room. I found this much more appealing than the typical adjoining room that has the adjoining door in the actual bedroom. Both rooms had lovely views off the terrace and were located not above, but near the relaxation pool (aka Adult Pool). I asked for a very quiet room and these rooms were perfect. It was quite a walk from the main lobby but very close to the spa and the above mentioned pool. I'm sure the distance from the main lobby was to accommodate my request for quiet. The rooms were very large, had outstanding bathrooms, Nespresso coffee makers, dressing table and very comfortable beds. Perfection!

The Colleagues (aka staff) - I am a Ritz Carlton loyalist and because of that, I am very particular when it comes to staff. I notice how I am greeted, if they remember my name and call me by name, if they say no for requests, do they leave the desk to point me to my room, etc. These ladies and gentlemen truly went above and beyond to accommodate our every wish. The ladies at check in were personable and outgoing. I loved their cream suits and actually thought that the Ritz might want to look at them, they were lovely. The bellman that showed us to our room was aware of the request for a quiet room and asked if ours would suffice. Nice touch. Every single staff member we passed in the hall smiled and said hello and asked if we needed directions (it is a very large property). Again, all in all....5 Star!!

Food: We used Room Service for breakfast every day and once for dinner. We had to ask that they send the breakfast 30 min. earlier than their menu stated they opened each day as one of us was in town for work and and needed to leave the hotel very early each morning. Their response, "no problem" and they were there at 5:30 AM sharp each day. The young lady I spoke to asked me on the second day if they were on time the first day. Just checking, but nice touch. The food was always lovely, without any mistakes and hot. 5 stars!!

Pool: There is a Relaxation Pool (adult pool) that is cell phone and child free! Wonderful! It is located outside the spa so very convenient to go to after your spa services. The staff, especially Esteban and Noel, saw to our every need and were outgoing and very charming to speak with. The chairs are extremely comfortable, the pool menu was great and so was the food. I recommend the salmon salad! While there they served complimentary samples of various smoothies on the menu and on our last day they brought fruit skewers. The pool is very well heated and has underwater sound that is easily heard. 5+ Stars!

Spa: I used the spa for a massage and pedicure. I don't even know how to thank Scott, my masseuse, for his help with a neck and shoulder issue I have fought for months. I believe that Scott is voted either the best masseuse in S. Cali or at least in San Diego. I completely understand why! He is trained in so many specialities and is so knowledgable that I wish I had gone to him my first day so that I couldn've fit in two appointments while there. You absolutely need to request him! Thank you Scott! My pedicure was done by Teresa and she was just wonderful. So gentle and so relaxing to be around. I recommend her highly. But it wasn't just my services that impressed..... from the moment I walked in and Nicole checked me in, I felt welcome and special. Nicole is a warm and lovely young lady and from Nicole I was led to the Spa Concierge desk to meet Jessica, a charming vivacious young lady who gave us a thorough spa tour and made sure we had any refreshments (muffins, almonds, tea, coffee, etc) we desired. So from check in forward, my spa experience was fantastic! 5++ Stars!!

Food: We ate at Amaya and sat outside on their lovely terrace. The salmon was wonderful as was the Free Range Chicken dish. We also enjoyed their high tea which again, rivals the Ritz Carlton. The young lady conducting the tea was very knowledgable and the tea selection was wonderful. I recommend the White Ambrosia! The only thing I can say is go hungry and don't plan for a large dinner that evening. There is a large amount of food, all delicious, so go knowing that and indulge. It does book us fast on certain days so make a reservation early to make sure you get in.

They also have a well equipped workout room that my husband and I enjoyed and the property has hiking trails that are extensive. We took a hike our first day and truly enjoyed it. There are riding trails nearby and a stable outside the entrance if you want to ride. The stables are not a part of the Grand.

If you are visiting San Diego and do not mind being off the ocean, I say "Do Not Miss this Hotel". It is truly one of the best hotels we have had the pleasure of staying in and my hat is off to their GM for creating such a fabulous experience for their guests. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: I would stay on the 3rd floor which is the top floor and the floor for the main lobby. Staying abov...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Gainesville, Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This could well be the best hotel that we have ever used. The rooms are top notch, the staff is well trained, and accommodating. The staff does not know how to use the word "no". We would stay at this facility any time we return to San Diego.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

As others have noted this is a spectacular property. We had a lovely room with a terrace that lead right to the relaxation pool across from the spa. The spa was wonderful and I loved the free yoga classes. My only reasons for not giving this 5 stars are very minor: #1- I used up the fantastic body lotion after two days and house keeping did not replace it. I am sure I could have received a new supply if I'd asked but.... #2 at the pool the frozen drinks are not made with fresh fruit. Ok, so maybe I sound like a diva but if you are paying this much, these are little details that should not be missed. Otherwise the Grand Del Mar was wonderful!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Venice, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I am from Beverly Hills and love the Peninsula Hotel for the service and food .... this hotel is one of the only hotels that I have stayed at that has high quality service and great tasting food. My husband and I stayed here for the July 4th week - and it was exactly what we needed: relaxation and luxury. The spa is great . . . the adult pool is peaceful and attendants are very attentive... the gym is nice too. If you happen to be here during the July 4th holiday- they have a very impressive fireworks display ... it also comes with a BBQ option .... that is something I wouldn't do again . . . too many people .... eat wherever you want (in the hotel or out) and just take the opportunity to watch the fireworks from one of the many balconies on the property. The rooms are spacious and comfortable and the housekeeping service superb. Another pointer - the breakfast is the one meal that is not extraordinary . . . nothing to complain about -- but nothing spectacular. If you want a relaxing 5 star luxurious getaway - especially if you are from LA and just want to drive and spend a few days away from the city - try this resort. My husband LOVED the gold course here too.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Grand Del Mar? Share your experiences!