“Del Mar-velous!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Clemente
“Del Mar-velous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We decided to stay at The Grand as a last minute weekend getaway. I saw that this property was top-rated by Trip Advisor, but other than that knew little about it. Wow, were we pleasantly surprised! This hotel is stunning inside and out. Marble and ornate frescos everywhere you go. And the rooms are just as exquisite! The only thing more impressive than the property itself was the service. Everyone we met on this trip was super friendly and went out of their way to make sure we had a great time. It started with the bellman who, after escorting us to our room, provided us with several complementary gelato coupons. When we came back to our room that night, my daughter was thrilled to find a huge cookie in the shape of a cat with her name on it. We ate at the Amiya restaraunt several times (dinner and breakfast) and loved it. Lunch at M was also quite enjoyable. The pool, fitness center, and other amenities are certainly world-class. I guess what I liked the most was the peacefulness of the whole place. The Grand's setting among the tranquil Penasquitos Canyon was a nice change from the hustle and bustle of most other San Diego beach hotels. I guess its safe to say that we'll be back. Only question is how soon?

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong with a room. Each room is sound-proofed and spaciousness of the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My hubby and I were here last weekend and had mixed feelings about the hotel.

Yes, it is luxurious with lovely amenities. You can see pix and other reviews to find out about that.

But keep in mind it is beyond sprawling (try an 10-minute confusing walk from the pool to our room) and pretty far inland. Some love the decor; we found it extremely tacky.

Surprisingly, we were given poor restaurant recs by concierge. SD is no culinary hub but it seemed they had deals with some of the factory-like touristy places that served glorified wedding food. I would have expected better from GDM. Our friends who live in the area were appalled by the places they suggested. We felt shafted.

We were overcharged for valet by an extra day ($30/ day--make sure to look closely at your bill) and charged a whopping $50 for a 22 minute phone call to a local cel phone. Incredibly offensive after paying $500/ night.

I don't think I would have written a negative review if the hotel wasn't so apathetic about some of these issues. I did let them know we were disappointed with concierge and the extra charges on our bill. While they were cordial, they were not apologetic.

I dunno. I miss the old Four Seasons and would opt to stay on the water at the gorgeous L'Auberge Del Mar next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGrandDelMar, Executive Director of Rooms at The Grand Del Mar, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for your less than Five-Star experience and would like to speak with you personally. Please respond to our direct message at your convenience.

Nenad Praporski, Executive Director of Rooms
The Grand Del Mar
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Went to visit my sister and her family who live in Encinitas and stayed 3 nights/days at the Grand Del Mar.

Absolutely the most beautiful property/architecture/materials/ and best service we have ever had!!!!

Everything from the time you hit the front door is top notch and spectacular.

We will be back.

Room Tip: We loved our room that over looked the "Adult Only" Quiet pool
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I spend four days at The Grand Del Mar on a business trip with my wife. The hotel is simply stunning, the rooms could be a review of their own, the staff are both friendly and competent, and the food and dining options are worth a visit on their own. If you plan on visiting the are and are looking for a high quality option, look no further. No stone has been left unturned at this hotel from the fitness center, to the pool, to the dining options, and most importantly the simply fantastic rooms and amenities. We will be back.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Poway, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Wow and more wow. My husband and I travel a lot, all over the world and enjoy hotels which provide service, comfort and elegance. Of the many, many hotels we visit and revisit, Grand del Mar ranks in the top three and there is no winner of those three. Living local to Del Mar, the Grand del Mar is a stay-cation for us, but that does not diminish its appeal.

As many reviewers have spoken of the fabulous hotel accommodations, I will give my kudos to the Grand del Mar Couples Golf Package. As a gift to friends for a special birthday we invited this couple to join us at the Grand del Mar for a golf package. The stay included a night at the hotel in their Grand Rooms, one for each of us and two rounds of golf with a shared caddy. The accolades and praises from this couple were non stop. The attention to detail and comfort were more than they had experienced at any other hotel. Besides the room, the golf was top notch. We saw one single player on the course the two days we played, otherwise the course was ours. A challenging beautifully constructed Tom Fazio course with two tee choices for women which from the back tees provided a lot of challenge. But as I am a long ball hitter, I might try the men's forward tees our next visit. What made our golf so memorable and fun was our caddy, Scott. Both couples tipped him $100/each per day, but he earned every penny of this tip. If you play this club as a guest I highly recommend him. He is funny, kind, and a great caddy (oh the stories), and one of the best readers of putts and putting coaches I have experienced. The fun putting was also helped by the pristine condition of the greens. As for mens play, there are three or four mens tees and the guys found plenty of challenge with some good carries from the second tee box for the men.

Our getaway golf package activities included dinner at Amaya (not part of the package) which was excellent. Before dinner we visited the hotel bar, the lobby lounge and enjoyed the inviting fireplace complete with fabulous martinis and wine.

For the $$$ the trip was very reasonable, especially when you add in the two rounds of golf and fabulous hotel accommodations. Selfishly, I hope the Grand del Mar stays unknown to locals and other travelers. We really love the feeling of being one of the few players on the course and one of the most important guests at the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed at this lovely resort with our 9 year old twins and on our own. What a special treat! From the moment we walked in, we felt the personalized service that this resort is known for. The kids were handed a business card with free gelato scoops. The room was comfortable with appreciated amenities, ie nepresso machine, stocked bar and unlimited bottled water. The rooms were decorated with European touches. We loved the patio which was a treat to wake up to and having espresso either leisurely or my husband had to work early and was able to do this on the patio without waking me or my twins up. The bathroom was spectacular - the soaking tub was a generous size with daily bath salts, nice touch with the tv, generous bath amenities, the closet was huge with a seating area and appreciated the separate toilet.
We had dinner at the 5 star Addison - what an experience - the service, lovely menu with impeccable service - we celebrated our anniversary there and it was mentioned several times. Loved the spa! The attendants had special touches, e.g. sharing an article after learning I was a yoga instructor, sweet truffles/fruit chews after each service. The pools were incredible -piped in music, pool service: bed trays for lunch in our reclining chairs, hot chocolates before leaving. Missing this special place!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Austin,TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have been fortunate to stay in quite a few outstanding resorts and hotels over the last ten years, and I would have to say that the Grand Del Mar probably takes the prize as the best of the best, in my opinion. The hotel room was outstanding, the staff members were all very friendly and quite helpful. My wife and I were there for a professional society meeting and the food and drink service was very, very good. I had the chance to play golf at their course, which is really beautiful and in good shape; we had a fore-caddy who was of immense help. In addition to the golf course, the grounds and trails surrounding the hotel are beautiful as well. While you do pay for this level of experience and comfort, I feel it is well worth it.

Room Tip: Select a room overlooking the golf course fairway[s]
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Grand Del Mar? Share your experiences!