“Special Coastal Resort” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Special Coastal Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed at this lovely resort with our 9 year old twins and on our own. What a special treat! From the moment we walked in, we felt the personalized service that this resort is known for. The kids were handed a business card with free gelato scoops. The room was comfortable with appreciated amenities, ie nepresso machine, stocked bar and unlimited bottled water. The rooms were decorated with European touches. We loved the patio which was a treat to wake up to and having espresso either leisurely or my husband had to work early and was able to do this on the patio without waking me or my twins up. The bathroom was spectacular - the soaking tub was a generous size with daily bath salts, nice touch with the tv, generous bath amenities, the closet was huge with a seating area and appreciated the separate toilet.
We had dinner at the 5 star Addison - what an experience - the service, lovely menu with impeccable service - we celebrated our anniversary there and it was mentioned several times. Loved the spa! The attendants had special touches, e.g. sharing an article after learning I was a yoga instructor, sweet truffles/fruit chews after each service. The pools were incredible -piped in music, pool service: bed trays for lunch in our reclining chairs, hot chocolates before leaving. Missing this special place!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

818 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Austin,TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have been fortunate to stay in quite a few outstanding resorts and hotels over the last ten years, and I would have to say that the Grand Del Mar probably takes the prize as the best of the best, in my opinion. The hotel room was outstanding, the staff members were all very friendly and quite helpful. My wife and I were there for a professional society meeting and the food and drink service was very, very good. I had the chance to play golf at their course, which is really beautiful and in good shape; we had a fore-caddy who was of immense help. In addition to the golf course, the grounds and trails surrounding the hotel are beautiful as well. While you do pay for this level of experience and comfort, I feel it is well worth it.

Room Tip: Select a room overlooking the golf course fairway[s]
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I've stayed in many great hotels all round the world, i'm fortunate that I've been able to afford the best and make a point of buying the best when i travel which was why the idea of a 15 star resort appealed, the advertising was very promising.
The Grand Del Mar lived up to it's billing and so much more, myself and my girlfriend were celebrating an anniversary and thought a spa weekend would be the right way to do it, from the moment we arrived they took my expectations of quality service to a new level.
We were travelling with out dog and they had outfitted the room with dog bowls and a dog bed, this was unexpected but really the little things help immensely, to help us celebrate our anniversary they brought delicious chocolate dipped strawberries and a bottle of champagne all free of charge and when the server found out i didn't drink returned unbidden with a soft apple drink so i could join my girl in celebrating with a champagne glass filled with something that at least resembled champagne.
Every member of staff, even ones i'd never met before knew our names, they even knew our dogs name, walking around they'd say hello flash and would constantly check on us and our pup.
We had a suite by the pool and the room was one of the most lavish and comfortable i'd ever stayed in, within easy reach of the gym. I'd forgotten my protein shakes so the staff at the spa would organise different protein drinks for me everytime i worked out.
The spa was truly something special, it's not a place to hang out if you dont' have treatments but it's opulent and the services are exceptional too.
We had room service often which was always incredible and one night had a ten course mean at their five star restaurant addison, think that's what it was called. it was an expensive meal coming in at somewhere like 400 a head and whilst the food was very good it certainly wasn't up to the standard i'd expect but that's a minor gripe, san diego and la jolla have some incredible restaurants.
It was a perfect three night trip at a perfect place, far removed from the hustle and bustle.

Room Tip: We liked being near the pool with our own balcony and those rooms around the pool are quiet and so c...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is a very special resort. We loved the location even though it is not on the beach. It is located on the hillside, however it is very close to a beach and the staff make it very easy for you if you want to visit the beach. They will get give you a ride to the beach if choose, and they will give you chairs, towels and even some beach toys for the kiddos. The resort is on a golf course and the views are incredible. After all of the hustle and bustle of the day in San Diego, it was such a treat to escape to this little haven. The staff are incredible. They are so friendly and attentive to your needs. The pools are also fantastic. They are sourrounded by beautiful landscaping. This resort is truly so peaceful and magical. Our room was definitely 5 start. Great bedding, very clean, great views. At first I was not sure that this would be a good resort for the kiddos, however it was perfect. The staff embraced them and there are a lot of actitivies that are kid oriented. Overally, I can't wait to stay here again. They definitely "get it!!"

new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed over spring break for only two nights much to my dismay. From the minute we drove onto the property it was love at first sight. The grounds are georgous, the staff is warm and welcoming, and the lobby is elegant. We stayed in a suite that was sprawling and beautifully done. Our two breakfasts were perfect. The little bit of time we had by the pool was relaxing and very enjoyable. I cannot wait to go back there. One of the best resorts we have ever experienced, and we have experienced many. Highly recommend.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed here last year for only a night with my wife but after seeing the facilities and grounds, decided to come back with my family. We stayed for 3 nights and the service here is seriously top notch. To avoid bringing a pack-n-play, we called ahead and requested a crib. When we walked in, there was a full size crib set up with bedding, crib skirt, blanket, sheets, pillow, and a baby kit that included baby soap, lotion and a rubber duck! The weather was a little cooler but we went to the pool all three days and didn't mind it because the pools were heated--not too much, but enough that you wouldn't be freezing. The pool staff is top notch. They were excellent with service in bringing towels, setting everything up, and bringing food, which was also very good. As we were there, I was impressed at the lengths the pool staff would go to keep the property looking clean--picking up leaves, cleaning pool chairs, etc. As I've stated before, the breakfast here is really, really good. It also has great kid options. This was one of the best family staycations we've had and the kids were so happy and had so much fun. The hotel grounds are truly beautiful and spectacular and perfect. This place spares no details. I will definitely come again.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This hotel definitely lives up to it's name. It is a little pricey, but I think it is worth every penny. The property itself is absolutely gorgeous, the staff working at the hotel go above and beyond , very impressed. The rooms and bathrooms are spacious and very pretty. Wonderful turndown service, always a little box of chocolates or chocolate covered OREO on bed at night. Rose petals here and there in the room & bathroom. Very nice touch. I loved it here so much I am going to book 3 rooms next spring for my daughters graduation. Another small thing, I had dropped my diamond earring on the floor somewhere and when I returned back to my room later that day the maids had put it just inside a rose petal by the side of my bed :)
The only very small thing they could work on is the food offered at the pool and little café, but only a Minor thing.

Room Tip: We stayed on ground floor that walked out to a lovely garden, peaceful, quiet & beautiful.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
TheGrandDelMar, Manager at The Grand Del Mar, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for noticing (and sharing) all of the Grand touches throughout your stay. We welcome additional feedback about our cafe and pool menu and will reach out to you directly to learn more.

We look forward to speaking with you soon and welcoming you back next spring to celebrate your daughter's graduation!

Nenad Praporski, Executive Director of Rooms
The Grand Del Mar

Been to The Grand Del Mar? Share your experiences!