“Still an unbelievably great experience” 5 of 5 stars

3rd Night Complimentary
Ranked #1 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
WA State
“Still an unbelievably great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

It has been two years since I stayed at this resort and it has managed to maintain its excellence in just about every way. Rooms - better quality than you will see in most Four Seasons and Ritz Carltons....and spotless with all the right touches from housekeeping (can you believe the housekeeper actually put a ribbon around my laptop's cable to the electrical outlet, to make sure it was neat and tidy?!). This time I had a couple of spa treatments - excellent. And, I have stayed here three times in the last four years (a total of about 14 nights) and have yet to have a bad food item of any kind.

Finally, a word on their staff. As I have noted to several hotel people over the years, that you can have a great physical plant, but if the staff is not good, the hotel is a waste of time. Somehow, the Grand del Mar has staff recruitment and training down to a science. Everyone - and I do mean everyone - I met was friendly, professional and more than helpful.

This hotel is not cheap, but I can assure you that you will more than get your money's worth! Keep up the great work, Grand del Mar!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Facility is new and attractive. Do not expect service compared to four seasons or Ritz Carlton. Horrible concierge staff - NYC subway ticket agents probably do a better job with service and directions. Beach service touted by the website is non existent. Hallway cleanliness is quite disgusting. Poorly marked corridors. Easy to get lost. Traffic all around, for location it should be better to stay at la jolla. Would not recommend this hotel. Hilton, Hyatt might be more reasonable four star options.

• Stayed March 2013
TheGrandDelMar, Executive Director of Rooms at The Grand Del Mar, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and observations about your recent stay at our resort. Guest feedback is crucial to our success, and we are committed to delivering exemplary service every step of the way. We reviewed your concerns with our team, but would like to learn more about your atypical experience. We kindly invite you to respond to our private message.

Nenad Praporski, Executive Director of Rooms
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband brought me here for a surprise weekend getaway for my 40th birthday. He did quite a bit of research on the best hotels in the US and this one topped the charts. We just finished a week at Maroma resort and this was an additional nice surprise!

Overall, there is nothing but good to say. We had a suite on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool. The rooms were lovely and staff (David) walked us through every amenity in the room and answered all of our questions.

We dined at both the Amaya and Addison, and service was wonderful at both but of course Addison spoils you (which it should spending over $600 for 2 people). I received a wonderful facial at the spa, and had my make-up done for a special night. Swimming at the pool was wonderful as there were few people out and the pool speakers underwater made for a nice treat with our great drinks. My husband was dying to have some private golf lessons, but I forced him to shop! We agreed one our next return trip!

Here is the problem on the trip however. I received my make-up treatment on Sat. and by Monday morning, I woke up and my left eye was red and crusted over. Unsure if I had slept wrong and hoping I was wrong, we flew home that evening. Unfortunately, I woke up the next morning with my eye in worse shape. After going in and confirming I had pink eye, I immediately contacted the hotel regarding this and to advise the salon. I was surprised by their terse response, which stated their staff regularly cleans their brushes and disregards those that cannot be sanitized. No offers, no genuine apology, I felt only as if I was being lectured. Just as I was getting over the lack of response, our 3 year old son then caught my very contagious pink eye.

It’s maddening to me that the trip ended in this way. We did not skimp on this trip and gave back well to the resort. I was expecting the same wonderful service response when I alerted them to this issue and found a very different level once I was home. I understand as a resort you can say perhaps this was not your fault, however the timing and make-up application make it highly suspect. I can only hope this email will prompt someone in management higher up than the email response we received to have this trip have a better ending. I still must rate the resort as above average because it is wonderful, even though this happened to end on this note. If someone responds, we would love to try again, maybe minus a make-up application!

I will check back for a response (this is my first review on tripadvisor).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGrandDelMar, Director of Spa and Recreation at The Grand Del Mar at The Grand Del Mar, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for speaking with me and articulating the details of your visit. The Spa and Haim Salon strive to deliver Five-Star experiences, and your feedback assists us in achieving this goal. We value your patronage and invite you to return to The Spa during your next visit to The Grand Del Mar.

Jim Croghan, Director of Spa and Recreation
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Just checked out a few hours ago and can't wait to return. Heavenly doesn't begin to describe it. Didn't get to all of the dining options but all we visited were memorable. Pool food was so delicious and surprisingly good value. Pool service very attentive. Kudos to Chris and Noel! Spa was pure luxury and massage therapist I would rate as one of the best I've had. Check package prices on the hotel website. Better than Expedia.

• Stayed March 2013
Anaheim Hills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

From the moment we arrived until the moment we left we had an amazing experience.
Our room was beautifully decorated with all the wonderful appointments....robes, slippers, toiletry items, coffee service, water....
The service was amazing. The staff was very professional.
Their fine dining restaurant, Addison was spectacular.
Breakfast the next morning in the hotel restaurant was perfect. What a great weekend!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This Superb hotel on Tom Fazzio designed golf course will leave you spell bound. If magnificent decor doesn't get you the top notch service will. Highly recommended. Many restaurants to choose from. Poolside to 5 Star French cuisine this grand hotel has it all. I think I counted 3 swimming pools, tennis courts and even horse riding on property. Easy access to 5 freeway leads straight to the beach.

• Stayed August 2012
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Everyone deserves a splurge now and then, and this hotel provides everything you could want.
Outstanding service, either psychic or more likely in radio contact, seemed that most everyone knew our name, from valet, to check in to dining.
Dinner was yummy, breakfast even better!
Rooms are opulently deluxe, service outstanding -- most difficult to find any faults at all . . .
We did not take adbvantage of the Fazsio design golf course, yet you do not need to do that to fully enjoy the beauty of this resort.
Lots of happy families ~ we will come back again

Room Tip: Room 118 on ground floor, walk outside to enjoy the gorgeous view