“Magnificent property!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
New Jersey
“Magnificent property!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Spent four nights there and enjoyed every second of it. The property is amazing, be sure to stroll around it. Quite enjoyed the lounge and the live entertainment there too. Since it was very cold at night when I was there (40ish) I was glad to have a pool terrace room so I could walk right in and out to the pool deck and enjoy the hot tub by the relaxation pool.

Special kudos to Drew there who was very helpful poolside but the entire staff was very attentive overall.

Only thing I noted was a lack of a shoe horn in my room, unless I just couldn't find it. No biggie, I will absolutely stay there again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We spent a week at the Grand after Christmas. We found the staff exceptional- very friendly and helpful. The rooms were very nice, the grounds beautiful. The pool staff was top notch & food by the pool was excellent. Kids had a blast with everything from horseback riding to tennis, pools, hot tubs and a fire pit by our room at night. The coffee shop with gelato was nice. The food in the restaurants was pricy as expected. There's very nice shopping areas within a 15 min drive and LaJolla and some nice beaches are close by as well.
No complaints about staying at the Grand with a 7 y/o and 12 y/o. We didn't use the kid's club, but we did see an animal show (no $) at the resort that was great.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Our family had the pleasure of spending a week at the Grand Del Mar over the Winter holiday. The location was perfect and the scenery was breathtaking. Service was absolutely outstanding, and the staff could not have been more accommodating, whether it was the pool, equestrian center, kids club, spa, or restaurants. We have stayed at five star resorts around the world, and I would place the Grand Del Mar as the best in service we have experienced to date. The hotel is stunning, and from the moment you enter the lobby you know you are somewhere special. We can't wait to return to the Grand Del Mar, and would recommend this to anyone staying in San Diego for sightseeing, or just want a fabulous retreat in the Canyons.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Pepin, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I booked The Grand Del Mar for two very specific reasons-

1) The Terrace King room which would have put us steps away from the adults only pool.
2) The equestrian center and the chance to indulge in horseback riding, one of my favorite pastimes.

Upon check in we were informed that we had been "upgraded" to a Fairway view room. Once in the room with no Fairway in sight I asked if we could be moved to the room we had originally reserved. It was at that time I was informed that the hotel was being used by a production crew filming a tv pilot and the adults only pool was closed for filming and the Terrace King rooms were being used by the tv crew. After a lengthy conversation with the Front Desk Manager, who was very professional and seemed very invested in finding us a room that better suited our original request, we agreed to a greatly reduced nightly rate to correctly reflect the room view/location.

Later that day was informed by the equestrian center that my prebooked trail ride for the next day would be cancelled because of filming and the crew needing the trails. Jessica at the stables was very apologetic and was willing to schedule my ride for anytime the day after filming, unfortunately that was the day we were leaving and that wouldn't work.

I called the front desk again to express my disappointment. Again the Front Desk Manager was helpful and seemed sincerely disappointed that our stay was not what we had hoped for. We again had a nice conversation and agreed to some waived fees.

Upon check out we verified with the front desk that the correct credit card had been charged for our final bill as we had requested at check in. She assured us the charges were correct and we left. A week later I notice charges were not correct and we had been over charged. Called the hotel and spoke to manager on duty who apologized and confirmed that we had made the request at check in and check out and the staff had processed our request incorrectly. He then made the corrections and emailed me confirmation. Somehow I was not surprised that the final bill was not correct, it seemed to be consistent with the rest of our stay.
Other small irritations during our stay include the business center and the charge of $4.95 per 10 minutes of computer usage and $1.00 per page to print any documents. At upwards of $350 per night for a room I found this additional cost a little insulting. Twice I tried to use the fitness center only to find the entrance area extremely crowded with production gear and staff, if there was another entrance to the fitness facility it wasn't very obvious. Stopped by the concierge desk for a recommendation for an offsite dinning option, the concierge produced a pre printed sheet of paper with a list of local restaurants and underlined one and went back to what she was doing, no offer of directions or reservations. One would think if you are in a hotel and asking for a suggestion because you are not familiar with the area, the offer to print directions would be typical.

The resort is beautiful and well maintained, the rooms are large and very clean and the staff, with the exception of the distracted concierge, professional and top notch.

I don't doubt that under normal circumstances it would be easy to have a 5 star experience at this hotel. Unfortunately we were not there during normal circumstances and it seemed like the hotel was inexperienced at handling the tv production event and regular guests.

I travel frequently and consider myself easy to please, just give me what I am expecting and am paying for and we will be fine. Had this hotel informed us upfront that our desired room was not available and had they not tried to get away with trying to trick us into believing we had been "upgraded" I would be less critical of our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGrandDelMar, President at The Grand Del Mar, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review. It is wonderful to hear you found The Grand Del Mar beautiful and our colleagues top notch. Your concerns have been shared with our team, and I can assure you that these issues won’t occur again. We look forward to the opportunity to better showcase our Five-Star service in the future.

Thomas J. Voss, President
The Grand Del Mar
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This review is terribly late and I am remiss for not doing so earlier. My wife and I stayed at the Grand Del Mar for our 10th anniversary in November of 2012. We have been EVERYWHERE and I must say that we have never experienced the level of service that we were afforded at the GDM.

The grounds, staff, service, food, everything was just over the top. Almost too much if that is possible. I want to thank everyone we met for the great experience and attentiveness. This place is an American classic.

Room Tip: We overlooked the golf course and it was gorgeous but may be better views. Not sure.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We recently stayed at the Grand Del Mar hotel for six days while visiting family in San Diego. This has to be one of the top hotels, not only in terms of decor but also for service. From the moment we checked in the staff were amazing. Our room was large enough to fit two queen size beds comfortably and still have enough room to walk around and have a desk and dressing table in it. There is plenty of space to hang and drawers to pack clothing in. The bathroom is large with a full bath, separate shower and twin basins. The amenities were plentiful and of a good quality.
On two occasions we had breakfast in our room which was brought exactly on time and of a high quality. We also had dinner and breakfast in Amaya Restaurant which were both of a very high standard. The gym is very well equipped and there is a choice of three running tracks of varying distances. Then there are the extras like the complementary shoe shining daily, the refreshments in the lobby and the valet parking which help make your stay easier and more enjoyable.
I haven't mentioned two things, one being their award winning restaurant Addison's as we didn't get a chance to dine there or the golf course as we didn't play.
They have a courtesy car which will take you anywhere in a 14 mile radius but you do have to prebook this and unfortunately downtown San Diego is outside the 14 mile range!
All in all a fantastic experience and one we would definitely repeat.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have a small private balcony.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My stay here was fantastic! Service was top notch, always professional and courteous. Adult pool was quite relaxing and the pool was nicely heated! The rooms are massive!! I chose not to stay in a suite during this visit and that goodness because I could not believe the size of the normal rooms. The grounds are perfectly manicured and beautiful to wonder in. Feels like a 5 star Vegas resort in all the good ways and I would certainly stay here again and again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Grand Del Mar? Share your experiences!