“Outstanding Experience” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Outstanding Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We recently stayed at the Grand Del Mar hotel for six days while visiting family in San Diego. This has to be one of the top hotels, not only in terms of decor but also for service. From the moment we checked in the staff were amazing. Our room was large enough to fit two queen size beds comfortably and still have enough room to walk around and have a desk and dressing table in it. There is plenty of space to hang and drawers to pack clothing in. The bathroom is large with a full bath, separate shower and twin basins. The amenities were plentiful and of a good quality.
On two occasions we had breakfast in our room which was brought exactly on time and of a high quality. We also had dinner and breakfast in Amaya Restaurant which were both of a very high standard. The gym is very well equipped and there is a choice of three running tracks of varying distances. Then there are the extras like the complementary shoe shining daily, the refreshments in the lobby and the valet parking which help make your stay easier and more enjoyable.
I haven't mentioned two things, one being their award winning restaurant Addison's as we didn't get a chance to dine there or the golf course as we didn't play.
They have a courtesy car which will take you anywhere in a 14 mile radius but you do have to prebook this and unfortunately downtown San Diego is outside the 14 mile range!
All in all a fantastic experience and one we would definitely repeat.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have a small private balcony.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

823 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My stay here was fantastic! Service was top notch, always professional and courteous. Adult pool was quite relaxing and the pool was nicely heated! The rooms are massive!! I chose not to stay in a suite during this visit and that goodness because I could not believe the size of the normal rooms. The grounds are perfectly manicured and beautiful to wonder in. Feels like a 5 star Vegas resort in all the good ways and I would certainly stay here again and again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This hotel is by far "Grand"! My husband and I decided to "splurge" when we made this reservation and we spent 3 nights here the beginning of December 2012. Being the holidays, we were able to enjoy the holiday decorations, which were exquisite. The hotel and grounds are all maintained to the maximum degree, and the staff always called us by name. My husband golfed; the golf course one of the best, and I relaxed and had a couple of spa treatments. This resort is absolutely first class all the way, and very, very special, true luxury! It has an exclusive 5 star rating and it shows!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent the last three days of our honeymoon at The Grand Del Mar after seeing NY, Washington, Disneyland, LA and Vegas - and these three days were the best of the trip and one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life. Quite simply, if u didn't rate it 5/5 after staying there - your either incredibly fussy or extreamly hard to please. All the staff were courteous and polite - although we are not millionaires we were treated like guests and did not feel out of our league or our depth. Being from Australia, we wanted to see as much of the area as we could - and everything was top class. The golf course was magnificent to play, and all the added extras that the hotel provided - from chilled water on the course, to biscuits and cool lemonade in the foyer made the trip even more special. What really surprised my wife and I was every member of staff there called us by name, which was a lovely touch, and knowing we were on our honeymoon, when we checked out the front desk had organized a wedding gift for us. Now, back in beige, boring sydney whenever we light the beautiful sented candles we recieved I think of the wonderful time we had at the Grand Del Mar. I tell all my friends of it and we are saving to fly back to America just to have a week there again. Thank you Grand Del Mar, you made a newlywed couple feel incredibly special!!!! And compared to what you would pay in Australia for the same kind of experience and level of service incredibly reasonable in price!!!!

• Stayed September 2012
Montecito, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is a truly fabulous hotel and a rare value at the five star level considering the size of the suites and the very reasonable price paid. Indeed, this was one of the very few luxury hotels we have been to where we felt we got excellent value for the cost.

The grounds are very well kept and beautiful. The suites are very large in general and our Palazzo suite was an enormous 1700+ square feet with two formal entrances, two bedrooms, three full baths, a kitchenette, an elaborate coffee/bar area, a very nicely furnished combination living/dining area and a huge patio with arched columns and great furniture. You have access to the lawn and pathways right from the patio, which was most appreciated since we had our dog with us. There were also plenty of walkways and lawns throughout the property so you could take a nice long walk with your dog if necessary.

The spacious kitchenette included a large mini fridge, microwave, ample glassware (a rarity in our experience) and complimentary beverages in the fridge including soft drinks, juices, beer and wine and bottled water. There were also some really delicious fresh gourmet snacks and sweets that were delivered daily. The amount and quality of the complimentary food and beverage was surprising and unparalleled in our experience, even at five star hotels. Daily floral arrangements were also delivered and were absolutely spectacular! They looked beautiful on the dining table and further brightened the already lovely room.

The beds and furnishings were very comfortable and we slept very well. The hotel was very quiet and the soundproofing of the walls and ceiling seemed to be very good. The bathrooms were luxurious with deep soaking tubs, his and her sinks and tv's.

We did not go to the spa but can only imagine how wonderful it must be! It was also nice that there was an adult pool available, as well as a kid's pool.

We received very attentive service from the outstanding staff who goes out of their way to make you feel welcome and to attend to your every need!! They were friendly, accommodating, thoughtful and very professional. Their training is consistent across the board, such that all employees treat customers with this very high level of service. This is also very rare in our experience. I can't say enough good things about the staff and the service at all levels; they were all fantastic! We tipped a lot and were happy to do so!

We did encounter some minor problems with one of the bedrooms that were resolved quickly, with the exception of one problem with the entry door that took overnight to resolve. However, the management was very apologetic and gave us that bedroom (a connecting room) for free that night, which was greatly appreciated.

Overall, this hotel really distinguished itself in our multi-decade travel history and we were deeply impressed. We felt pampered throughout our stay and would definitely stay here again given the chance. Don't miss the Grand!

Room Tip: You can get really isolated suites on the west side of the property, near the golf course or you can...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Definitely a wonder! Truly phenomenal!
It was my mother’s 50th birthday on 12/12/12 and my sister and I wanted to do something a little special. I came across this hotel by accident when I logged into tripadvisor.com to see the review of another hotel I was considering. Instead, tripadvisor.com had displayed the top 25 highest rated hotels in the United States based on the reviews from their website. Intrigued, I looked into it and found this hotel was either #2 or #3 (can't remember) on the list and the fact that it was within driving distance from where I lived was what I was looking for. After little discussion my sister, boyfriend, and I decided to book it.
Upon arrival we were greeted with huge smiles from the doormen and as my boyfriend and I checked in we were all handed warm wash cloths to cleanse our hands with. We were even asked which newspaper we preferred to have sent to us the next morning. We then grabbed some tea and cookies and then the woman behind the check-in table actually escorted us to the elevator. Our room was on level 2 (room 208) and since my sister and I were on a budget we could only afford the least expensive room (with help from AAA) and even this room was beautiful! The room was huge and the bathroom was just gorgeous! A majority of the decor in the hotel, as well as the room, was marble which just gives a very elegant feel to it. As we were getting situated in our room our doorbell rang and it was actually a small complimentary birthday cake for my mom. Very nice touch, loved that. After eating the cake we decided to walk around the hotel and check it out. As we were walking to the elevator we ran into some employees who actually stopped to greet us and allowed us to walk by first before they continued on their way. On the check-in floor there is a very nice bakery with good food and great sweet options! We stopped by here many times and had some of their gelato before we left.
Before we went out to dinner we walked into our room and found complimentary slippers, bottled water, and candy for each of us. There were even robes and an umbrella for us to use (it was expected to rain). We were even given a complimentary shoe shine bag which, if we weren't in a rush, we could of had a pair of shoes shined for free if we had put the bag out front before a certain time. It was wonderful too because even though we do celebrate Christmas my family is Jewish and we do light the candles. This hotel not only had a Christmas tree in the lobby, but they also had the menorah lit. That was nice to see.
Because it did rain while we were there, sadly we didn't get to try out the pool area, but the grounds are a beauty! So lush and green and there is a really nice fire pit located in the back of the hotel which is a very nice relaxing spot. All in all, this hotel is WONDERFUL! It is pricey, but every cent is worth it here. So hospitable, elegant decor, good food, you truly can't do better than this hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

This is talked about as being the best hotel in San Diego. I wouldn't describe it that way. Prior to this we stayed at Miami's brand new St Regis in Bal Harbour followed by the Beverly Hills Hotel in LA. The Grand Del Mar is streets ahead of both. I would describe this hotel as actually being one of the best hotels in the USA. I gather it is privately owned. All I can say is that the owners clearly know exactly what they want and how to get it. Their hotel is extraordinary. We are on day 2 of a 4 night visit staying on the first floor. My family love this hotel. I particularly appreciate the exceptional attention to detail. Restaurant Amaya food is the best we've had in the last 20 days during which we've been in the USA. We wished we had stuck to Amaya instead of going to Prada tonight, which looked good with ok service but food awful. In particular, I highly appreciate the oversized and very well spaced out dining tables at Amaya.....as well as the service. Also, the concierge team are co-ordinated exceptionally well. Everything is perfection. Quite honestly, I'm stunned. I try to discover hotels of this quality but rarely manage it as so few exist. The property is exquisite and brilliantly managed......with many exceptional staff all over the place. For instance bar manager Humberto is an absolute gem. Housekeeping is nothing short of best ever. This hotel is up there with hotels such as Sandy Lane in Barbados and Coworth Park in Ascot (the UK's best country house hotel). The owners clearly have made a huge effort and spared no expense to make every inch of the hotel into total perfection. They should be very proud of their creation. This is one of the best hotels in the USA.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to The Grand Del Mar? Share your experiences!