“Astounded! A true delight” 5 of 5 stars

3rd Night Complimentary
Ranked #1 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“Astounded! A true delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Definitely a wonder! Truly phenomenal!
It was my mother’s 50th birthday on 12/12/12 and my sister and I wanted to do something a little special. I came across this hotel by accident when I logged into tripadvisor.com to see the review of another hotel I was considering. Instead, tripadvisor.com had displayed the top 25 highest rated hotels in the United States based on the reviews from their website. Intrigued, I looked into it and found this hotel was either #2 or #3 (can't remember) on the list and the fact that it was within driving distance from where I lived was what I was looking for. After little discussion my sister, boyfriend, and I decided to book it.
Upon arrival we were greeted with huge smiles from the doormen and as my boyfriend and I checked in we were all handed warm wash cloths to cleanse our hands with. We were even asked which newspaper we preferred to have sent to us the next morning. We then grabbed some tea and cookies and then the woman behind the check-in table actually escorted us to the elevator. Our room was on level 2 (room 208) and since my sister and I were on a budget we could only afford the least expensive room (with help from AAA) and even this room was beautiful! The room was huge and the bathroom was just gorgeous! A majority of the decor in the hotel, as well as the room, was marble which just gives a very elegant feel to it. As we were getting situated in our room our doorbell rang and it was actually a small complimentary birthday cake for my mom. Very nice touch, loved that. After eating the cake we decided to walk around the hotel and check it out. As we were walking to the elevator we ran into some employees who actually stopped to greet us and allowed us to walk by first before they continued on their way. On the check-in floor there is a very nice bakery with good food and great sweet options! We stopped by here many times and had some of their gelato before we left.
Before we went out to dinner we walked into our room and found complimentary slippers, bottled water, and candy for each of us. There were even robes and an umbrella for us to use (it was expected to rain). We were even given a complimentary shoe shine bag which, if we weren't in a rush, we could of had a pair of shoes shined for free if we had put the bag out front before a certain time. It was wonderful too because even though we do celebrate Christmas my family is Jewish and we do light the candles. This hotel not only had a Christmas tree in the lobby, but they also had the menorah lit. That was nice to see.
Because it did rain while we were there, sadly we didn't get to try out the pool area, but the grounds are a beauty! So lush and green and there is a really nice fire pit located in the back of the hotel which is a very nice relaxing spot. All in all, this hotel is WONDERFUL! It is pricey, but every cent is worth it here. So hospitable, elegant decor, good food, you truly can't do better than this hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

This is talked about as being the best hotel in San Diego. I wouldn't describe it that way. Prior to this we stayed at Miami's brand new St Regis in Bal Harbour followed by the Beverly Hills Hotel in LA. The Grand Del Mar is streets ahead of both. I would describe this hotel as actually being one of the best hotels in the USA. I gather it is privately owned. All I can say is that the owners clearly know exactly what they want and how to get it. Their hotel is extraordinary. We are on day 2 of a 4 night visit staying on the first floor. My family love this hotel. I particularly appreciate the exceptional attention to detail. Restaurant Amaya food is the best we've had in the last 20 days during which we've been in the USA. We wished we had stuck to Amaya instead of going to Prada tonight, which looked good with ok service but food awful. In particular, I highly appreciate the oversized and very well spaced out dining tables at Amaya.....as well as the service. Also, the concierge team are co-ordinated exceptionally well. Everything is perfection. Quite honestly, I'm stunned. I try to discover hotels of this quality but rarely manage it as so few exist. The property is exquisite and brilliantly managed......with many exceptional staff all over the place. For instance bar manager Humberto is an absolute gem. Housekeeping is nothing short of best ever. This hotel is up there with hotels such as Sandy Lane in Barbados and Coworth Park in Ascot (the UK's best country house hotel). The owners clearly have made a huge effort and spared no expense to make every inch of the hotel into total perfection. They should be very proud of their creation. This is one of the best hotels in the USA.

• Stayed December 2012
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Just came back from spending a few days at the Grand Del Mar. The hotel is very luxuarious and the rooms were awesome, very spacious with large a bathroom and the bed was most comfortable. We ate dinner twice at Amaya, its not the 5 star restaurant on the property but both the service and the food was excellent. We went for Golf and and course was very fun to play yet challenging especially the greens. Having the forecaddie included was helpful as well. Service everywhere on the property was excellent. Definitly worth a visiit

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We've been fortunate to come here a few times. Each time is just as good as the last. We have 2 small kids. This resort is great for families. The 3 salt water pools are great. There is even a little sand area and fire pits through out. There is an "adult" only pool but it's hidden away. Must be very nice. The rooms are plush and maintained nicely. There was plenty of space and if your lucky enough to get a room on the 1st floor then your room opens out into a nice courtyard. The service is excellent. When you walk in the halls, the staff will stop and step aside to greet you and let you pass. There much to explore in the resort. Hiking, which we haven't done yet. Pony rides were great and arranged during our stay. The explorers club was nice, with video games galore and art projects. Played frisbee in the atrium by the restaurant. On one stay we had dinner in the courtyard and the fire pit was lit. They had brought smores for us to do fireside. The Amaya had a nice breakfast buffet and the menu was nice as well. Nice view of the courtyard. A popular site for wedding ceremonies. Will be coming back again and again.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms open out to courtyard, some even have fire pits in them.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We enjoyed 4 great days and nights at the Grand Del Mar. I thought the service was perfect. The hotel is beautiful. The hotel has a good gym, outdoor pool, and golf course on site. We were pleasantly surprised when the hotel accommodated our group's request for a place to watch college football. Club M provided the perfect location to watch the Tide crumble. Aside from that pedestrian pursuit, the hotel is a luxury resort in every way.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Porter Ranch, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

So many positive review for this resort... I went in with high expectations but was pleasantly surprised that it exceeded it. Service was so receptive. Even the house keeping staff and the engineers that past by the halls were extremely friendly. Resort was beautiful. Pool area and the hiking was superb. Each room was tastefully decorated neo classic. The restaurants on the property was superb with Addison being way over the top in food and service. If you're an avid golfer, this is it. If you just want a place to escape this is it. I can't help but to make comparisons with my recent experiences at the st Regis and Mandarin Oriental. They were so bland compared to the GDM. Thanks so much for wonderful 3 day stay.

• Stayed November 2012
Saratoga, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

We love this place. It's our 4th time here, we have been here every thanksgiving in the past 3 years. It's a really special place here, amazing, amazing, amazing service and care. Even if they mess up, which rarley happens they will know how to make you feel better. The staff is super helpful and nice, spa is UNBELIVBLE and my kids loves the kids club here. I have only good things to say.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to The Grand Del Mar? Share your experiences!