“It's breathtaking!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
New City, New York, United States
“It's breathtaking!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Probably one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever been in. It's in California but has a wonderful Italian flavor.
The grounds are lovely. The golf course is lovely. The waterfall on the course just tops it off!
The restaurant is 5 star as is the service.
They were very accommodating about extending our check out a few hours as well.

Room Tip: Every room is wonderful. I didn't try the spa, but my friends who stayed there six days did. The...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Samoens, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

after loosing heart with the valancia we booked at the grand del mar,what a great surprise,and what a lovely property,food,pools,and rooms.
from first contact I felt at home veronica was so good with us and welcoming we could not wait to get there.
any way we arrived to a grand welcome,a wonderful gentleman handled our arrival at reception with a great understanding when my card blocked for some reason,nothing was a problem to him yes after five weeks holiday and two car rentals sometimes cards sag at the edges,to cut a long story short I stayed for free in a wonderful palazio suite (my wife paid)
I did not know the hotel belonged to Mr Manchester who owned the hyatt regency towers in san diego twenty five years ago that I loved .
firstly all the food we had at the hotel was heavenly,the service with Adam taking care of us was angelic ,as for the pancakes better than the bellagio las vegas & this says it all for me.
when leaving a small misunderstanding over the resort credit the reception manager on duty did not question my memory of what I thought I agreed with them over the phone when I made the booking (I am wondering if they are wright or I am) to put it simply I am glad the Valancia let us down, this way we discovered the great del mar.

Room Tip: any room or suite, perfect all around.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

A true luxury resort.
Incredible service. Somewhat "overlearned" in the sense that you here the same sentences in the same order from different employees but at least you get polite and efficient response in all cases. Waiters in restaurants add a good touch of sophistication to it. They never say no.
Suprisingly friendly for kids. We were enjoying a great family time passing by the occasional Prada dressed couple on it's way to a classy dinner.
Location is not seafront but there is no resort of this quality seafront in San Diego area.
Beautiful grounds. Hummingbirds and hummingbird moths feasting on the beautiful flowers all around. Very nice running/walking/horseback riding trails.
It's a golf resort and I did not golf at all!
If you can afford it I strongly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

This is a gorgeous property...the pools, the views, the food, the golf course....everything! We were guests for a weekend of business meetings and all of the events were run flawlessly. We recommend you enjoy the spa and take advantage of the scheduled activities!

• Stayed August 2012
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

love this spot- super compfy beds and great service. I love everything about it and had a great time with my boyfriend and a few friends. The patios are spacious in the standard rooms and I recommend getting a room on the west side to watch the sun set outside.

Room Tip: Standard was great!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

My husband and I and our one year old son stayed at the Grand del Mar this summer for one week. Everything was amazing! The suite, the food, the service, the grounds, the golf and the food. Upon arrival, they had our favorite beverages on ice and a very high quality crib and bedding for our son. They even had a few gifts for him-- a little cow pillow, some bath stuff and a baby terry robe! We had a lot of room service as well as lunch by the pool everyday. Regardless of the location of the food, it was always impeccable. My husband had a private golf lesson for two hours with the golf pro and was thoroughly impressed with the service and expertise. They even sent him a video with a voice over of his lesson and what he needs to work on. This was a great, laid back place to travel with a baby. There's plenty of space to walk around and let him explore and the rooms are very sound proof so we didn't feel bad about disturbing our neighbors when he cried at night. The only complaint I have is that the pool area is open to 'members' of the hotel/golf club. There were a few days where a large group of pretentious women gathered with a bunch of ill-behaved kids at the baby pool. They acted like they owned the place and took the baby pool area over.
I would highly recommend this resort to couples, groups of friends or families. It is very expensive, but everything was worth it in hindsight.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with your family, go for one of the suites. They have two separate full bat...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I reviewed this hotel on my site visit and chose it to host our annual retreat. And I sure wasn't disappointed. Will try to give you new insights (see previous review for basic info).
Planning: Once we decided on this resort, the planning process was awesome. They plugged me into many different people who took care of all aspects of the resort (ie. spa, golf, kids club, AV equipment, rooms, etc.). I can't say enough about Lynette (rooms) and Lauren (spa). I must have emailed them with changes 20 times a day. They were always prompt to respond and very professional. That is a reoccurring theme to this hotel, awesome service!
Checking in: They had everything in order and check-in was a breeze. The valet people made sure to call you by your proper title (Dr. in this case) and always offered bottled water. Bellboy actually beat us to our room
Rooms: immaculate (see prev review). I had mentioned that I needed a crib, and it was there waiting for me. I asked for a hot water kettle and that came within minutes. I was able to clear out the fridge and used it for our own personal use.
Restaurant: Great service. We made it in time for Restaurant week and enjoyed that. Some of our VIPs made it in late and didn't have dinner reservations. The captain (for our cocktail reception) went out of his way to get a party of 9 squeezed in prior to the kitchen closing at Amaya. The party ate and drank away and they kept the restaurant open til close to midnight for them.
Pool/Spa: My wife still raves about her treatment from the prior trip. This time did not disappoint as well. All of the other guests also mentioned that it was a fabulous experience. The pools were nice. We didn't use it last time. The moment you walk in, pool attendants will find you and set up a lounge chair for you. They will bring you water and even water in a kids cup (with a lid) for the little ones. The underwater speakers were a hit with our kids. We also rented a cabana for a day and that was nice.
Catering/Banquet: As you can imagine, there are a number of events that go on simultaneously, however, they juggled it really nicely. They even had a Mitt Romney fund raiser in the adjacent ballroom, and aside from the noisy band, every thing went smoothly. The staff was once again very professional. From the waiters to the captain, everyone was there to make sure our event went off without a hitch. When we had more than the expected count, they were able to provide the extra food within a timely matter.

Bar/Club: They have a really nice lobby bar with jazzy entertainment on the weekend. Even though we had a large party, the servers did their best to accommodate us. We even tried Club M one evening. I was very leery about what Club M had to offer, however, it was pretty happening for a resort club. Apparently locals come there to party as well. They had a DJ spinning and it provided a nice atmosphere.

All in all, this resort truly lives up to being a 5 diamond resort. I can not imagine having this retreat at any other place.

Room Tip: They offer 2 hours (complimentary) of usage in the kids club during a spa treatment. Take full adva...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Grand Del Mar? Share your experiences!