“Perfection!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Perfection!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The best service, food, rooms and property. If you want to relax and be treated like royalty, then look no further. I've stayed at Shutters on the beach, Wynn, The Plaza, Mandarin Oriental and The Grand Del Mar beats them all!!!

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Vacaville, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My Husband and I enjoyed our Anniversary at this wonderful property. The Spa was amazing, I had a facial and a massage and both treatments left me profoundly relaxed. Had a couple minor issues... I was supposed to have lunch by the pool between appointments. I had selected a lounge chair and relaxed by the pool before my first treatment. I told the pool attendant I would soon disappear into the Spa and return in an hour for lunch. When I came back out, my chair had been given to another guest. All chairs were full so I ate my lunch in the Spa instead. Also, my esthetician recommended a mask and said she would leave the info for me with the Spa desk. When I completed treatment and went to check out and possibly purchase the mask, there were no notes for me. Lastly, my husband had arrived looking for me while I was finishing my last treatment. One of the Spa gals said she would give me the message to meet him at the pool however, they failed to pass that on. Minor issues but they add up to support a 4 star rating rather than 5. The golf package I booked for our stay included an upgraded room upon arrival. For some reason that didn't happen automatically. The room we were given was beautiful however one of the sinks was dirty (hair and grit) and the balcony had cobwebs. Unbeknownst to me, my husband had called the concierge before our arrival to inquire about Champagne in our room for our Anniversary celebration. He was disappointed to find the Champagne was not in our room when we arrived. It turns out it was complimentary due to our celebration so it's hard to complain but we sure would have preferred not to have to chase it down. My husband went to reception to ask about the upgrade and champagne and was told the new room would be ready and waiting with our luggage and champagne upon our return form our trip to the beach. When we got back, the luggage hadn't been moved and the champagne was still not in our room. Turns out it was in the old room and moved over eventually. It was accompanied by a delicious chocolate cake and once we finally got it, it was a great treat. The concierge can set up "beach service" for you which means they take you to the Del Mar beach with chairs, towels, umbrellas and water. Wonderful way to go to the beach! We also had car service to take and pick us up from dinner. Beautiful facilities, great golf, we will be back and hopefully next time I can give 5 stars - I really really wanted to!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My family and I stayed four nights in this hotel. As a local suggested..it feels as if a Las Vegas hotel got dropped in north SD. Not a lot right there, so really meant as a full service resort and that succeeds. A bit of a rabbit warren and gaudy Italianate designs.
Other than that, the service was outstanding. From the valet, to the front desk, to the restaurants, to room service and housekeeping...we could not have asked for more.
Really like the service, but the location is just OK. I have to admit that I like the ocean when in SD, or some other services/character around me.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Temecula, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

There is not a nicer hotel or experience than this one. From the moment we drove up to the moment we drove away it was pristine and blew us away. The staff is amazing and the attention to detail is phenomenal. You must have dinner at Addison. This was my husband's 50th birthday and were treated like royalty the entire time. The luxury and appointments of the resort and grounds exceeded our expectations. The food was sublime. We stayed in a suite and I highly recommend it. The spa was the nicest I've ever been in, and we have traveled a great deal. The spa treatments exceeded our expectations as well.
We truly had a magical weekend. Our trip coordinator after I made reservations helped me make excursion plans and everything went off without a hitch. They truly know what they're doing and are very good at it.

Room Tip: The suite was unbelievable.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Concord, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

It is a very grand hotel but my concerns are the size (way too big) and lack of service.

On the size front, the hotel is so large that I literally go lost on three occasions trying to find my room. It's like being in one of those huge Vegas hotels

On the service front, let me be clear that I'm not one of those whiny folks that needs to be attended to all the time. From the car valet to getting a few towels at the pool for my kids everything took way long - like 15 minutes. To top it off my kids pancakes arrived at breakfast burned. If you are going to position yourself as a high end resort you have to provide a base level of service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
TheGrandDelMar, Executive Director of Rooms at The Grand Del Mar, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you for sharing your review. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional personalized service, and we apologize this was not your experience during every aspect of your stay at The Grand Del Mar. Your concerns have been shared with our team, and we look forward to the opportunity to better demonstrate Five-Star service to you and your family.

Nenad Praporski, Executive Director of Rooms
The Grand Del Mar Executive Team
Laguna Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

WE took our family to this exquiste resort this Summer to celebrate a special anniversary.
There are absolutely no complaints!
The service is 5 star, as well as the room accomodations (even Nespresso coffee makers in each room.)
The food is beyond good!
The grounds are lovely!

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

Absolutely amazing hotel and one of my best stays ever. My room was on the 3rd level, around the corner of the business centre. Very convenient as it was just a minute walk from the main lobby/reception. Room was very tastefully done up. I was impressed to find 2 pairs of good quality bedroom slippers. I am a frequent traveller and I have observed that this is not a commodity in even major hotel chains in the US that travellers like myself really appreciate. The care in making thoughtful arrangements in even the smallest details make the entire experience really memorable. The chambermaid tied pretty gold ribbons to my laptop cables which I was impressed. Balcony view was excellent, overlooking some hills and cottages. Great facilities (swimming pools, gym, tennis court). Great service mostly (except maybe the bartenders at the lobby bar who looked inexperienced and unfriendly). Food was okay, nothing to shout about but not bad. I can go on raving but in short, this is absolutely an amazing place. I came from halfway across the globe and I would come back again anytime.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to The Grand Del Mar? Share your experiences!