“Unbelievable” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Unbelievable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We were able to stay here through our timeshare points, as there were no other locations available in SD that our timeshare could find so last minute. All I have to say is Oh My God. This place is over-the-top, out-of-control luxury at its impeccable finest. Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous is exactly what it is. To stay here is extremely expensive but once you enter, you almost never want to leave! At first, we felt extremely strange at the staff's behavior - they treated us like royalty, no matter how we looked or dressed. All the staff are trained in high courtesy standards as they do not greet with a "Hi" or "Hello". No sireebob. They ALL (even housekeeping and maintenance) greet us with a "Good Morning" "Good Afternoon" or "Good Evening". Extremely classy and I commend their treatment to all its clients. If I could, I'd come here multiple times a year to relax. And one thing to knock your socks off - when you go into their relaxation adult pool, you actually hear music under water. Pretty darn out of this world. Thank you Del Mar!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Gibraltar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

This hotel has already excellent reviews and now i know why ! I cannot remember (and i travel a lot) when i received such an excellence service throughout my stay; and the hotel is sooo nice, even if i try hard, i cannot find anything negative. If i would come back in that area, i would go there again for sure !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

The GDM represents over the top luxury tucked away in its own lttle (well, actually big) world in northern San Diego County. The main restaurant, where I didn't dine, is supposed to be one of the best in the region (sadly closed on Sunday and Monday--the precise two days I was there). The architecture is strongly reminiscent of the grand Mizner designed palaces in South Florida-very unusual to find in California. Public spaces are massive and designed in almost giddy luxury. My room--no balcony--had a big comfortable bed, huge bathroom, and high end furnishings (complete with gold fixtures). The hotel is surrounded by its own highly ranked golf course, and includes a couple of pools, riding stables, archery, etc. The beach is about a 15 minute drive away. In fact, if you stay here you should plan on staying on the premises as outside facilities aren't particularly close by. The staff--mostly young people--are friendly and extremely helpful. This is a great "getaway" destination if you plan on using the hotel itself for all your activities. It would not be a good choice for business travellers to San Diego or for anyone who prefers to spend a lot of time "in town." It's certainly not cheap, but, given the overall high quality of the accomodations, the rates are fair. Since I was attending a conference on site, the hotel was a good choice for me. I dined at the "second" restaurant (forgot the name)--it was fine, but not the destination experience the flagship restaurant is supposed to represent.

Room Tip: I didn't have a balcony and would have preferred one.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Watertown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

We are here on our last day of a 6 night stay for a meeting. It is by far the nicest, most luxurious resort we have ever stayed in. We have stayed at Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, the Broadmore etc... and this is by far the most outstanding, a feeling shared by all the members here with our meeting. The staff and the service here is beyond compare. The espresso machines in every room has been a big hit and the bath tubs are truely big enough you can float in! The adults only relaxation pool is very peaceful and there are also several other pools. The restaurants on site are very good and they do an outstanding catering for meetings. And of course the San diego weather is incomparable.
If anyone gets the chance to come here don't pass it up! It will truely be the most incredible stay you'll ever have. You'll feel like royalty!

• Stayed July 2012
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Summary: The hotel and all it's amenities are without a doubt 5 stars. Guest services (front desk/valet/concierge) would make someone with depression feel happy and special. Food and beverage (excluding Addison because it's closed on Sundays) was decent and the food/beverage service was good but nothing special.

Detailed Review: I was staying here by myself for one night only to see if this hotel/resort really lived up to the hype. And once you arrive at the front door you're welcomed with warmth and comfort by guest services. The room wasn't ready until past the check in time of 4pm but it was a convenient inconvenience because I was able to lay out by the adult pool and enjoy a cocktail. The drink service poolside was not very attentive and kind of a buzz killer. I then wanted to have a little dinner and people watch and concierge services hit the nail on the head by recommending a nice trendy restaurant in the Gas Lamp Quarter. They set me up with directions and reservations pretty much instantly. I was very impressed by how seamless concierge services takes all your requests and makes them happen with little issue. The room I stayed in was a basic King but it had to of been the most elegant hotel room I've ever had the pleasure of staying in. I went for dessert at the bar of Amaya. The dessert was decent but the service at the bar was mediocre. Being the only person sitting at the bar I was only made as comfortable as I had to be to eat a dessert. Nothing more. The following morning I wanted to visit the pro shop and it was also recommended to have breakfast at the grill of Club M. Again, the food was decent with mediocre service. Next, it was time to check out and guest services was again really impressive in getting me on my way and to the airport with a fabulous comfortable limo service that I would also recommend taking.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Rancho mirage
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

My husband and I spent our fourth anniversary at the Grand Del Mar and from the moment we entered the lobby we were in heaven. The shear beauty of the place is something to be seen. You can stand in one spot and behold the beauty and detailing from ceiling to floors...and they are all
different, from room to room. We have traveled alot and stayed in many beautiful hotels, but none come close to this one. We were upgraded to a gorgeous suite and a bottle of bubbly was brought to us. We particularily appreciated being in the "adult" wing across from the side for families with children. The staff was the best we have ever encountered in all of our travels, and dinner at the Addison was a wonderful experience. This hotel exceeded even our very high expectations and made for a truly memorable anniversary. Of course, we'll be back next year, if not before!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for adult or children's wing of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Somers, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

My wife and I were in the San Diego area visiting family for the first time. I had chosen to stay at the Grand Del Mar based on reviews at this site. We could not be happier with the results. Our stay at the Grand Del Mar while only three days was so enjoyable and relaxing that we cannot wait to go back. The hotel itself is magnificent. The lobby, public rooms, restaurants and outdoor areas are all immaculate well designed and perfectly maintained. Our room which overlooked the golf course could not have been nicer or more comfortable. I played golf while my wife took advantage of the hotel spa and both were first rate in every way. While I obviously was impressed with the hotel amenities the real credit for our incredible stay at this hotel goes to the staff. From the valets to the hotel management each and every person we encountered could not have been more pleasant and accommodating to my family. There professionalism, kindness and hard work is what set this hotel apart for us. The service is both prompt and attentive without being intrusive. The management deserves credit for this impeccable service. I am grateful to all of the Grand Del Mar staff for making our stay at the hotel so enjoyable and cannot wait to return.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Grand Del Mar? Share your experiences!