“Nice room but a little disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X Points Package!
Ranked #117 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Irvine
“Nice room but a little disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

We checked in for a one night stay and were helped by a very welcoming and professional front desk staff. We were given a spacious room on the ninth floor which we were initially very pleased. We quickly realized that we were not able to connect to the internet. Even though I was willing to pay to connect to the internet, I was informed that the network was experiencing problems. This was very inconvenient given that I had a lot of work to do. The agent whom I spoke with on the phone told me I could use the internet in their restaurant but I was anticipating working late into the night which would make it not feasible. I ended up working offline and were hoped to upload my documents to my work server in the lobby upon checkout the next morning. Checking out took a long time because there was only one staff member working. The front desk staff did not ask me how my stay was. I asked about lobby internet and she said its complimentary but she cannot guarantee that it would work nor did she offer to help. Ultimately I was not able to connect and had to find a Starbucks to complete my work.

For a hotel the calibre of Hilton's, not offering internet service should be unacceptable. The guest should be notified at check-in and be given options or somehow be compensated for the inconvenience. If it wasn't for the lack of service, I would have rated the comfort of the hotel 4 or more stars.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Des moines, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

nice hotel but major renovation made this stay rough. staff is great. location is easy access to many amenities including shopping and restaurants. plan on finding many youth sporting teams staying with you.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I was at the Hilton for a conference and was very disappointed. The air conditioning was not working.The restaurant was under construction so they put us in the parking lot for lunch! It was in the sun and we had a great view of the cars next door at the dealership driving in for service. The food was a buffet that reminded me of wedding reception catering. I think my experience was probably not the norm but I think I would call ahead and ask about the air and if they have their restaurant back.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
janewon, Guest Experience Champion at Hilton San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for your feedback Kathy. We regret we were not able to provide you with the dining experience you expected. We are renovating our restaurant and we regret you were not able to enjoy eating there. We apologize that your A/C wasn’t working either and we hope you will consider staying with us the next time you are in the area. Our new restaurant, Polanco, has opened and looks fantastic! Please come check us out when you are in the area. We hope to better service you the next time you stay with us.
Imperial, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

This Hilton is very nice looking on the floor we were on. It was renovated and modern. Although it had several inconveniences. The parking spaces for costing 18 dollars a day were super narrow. They dont offer free breakfast like other "less expensive hotels." Being a Hilton Honors member, i've had better experiences at a Hampton Inn. Also the elevators were super slow. I guess i'll think about staying here again.

Stayed August 2014
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

This hotel was perfect for my trip to san diego to visit family I was there for 17 nights, The rooms are large clean and well kept. The staff are friendly and helpful, the view from my room was amazing, stretching right across the valley and nearby shops at night time view also spectacular. There are local supermarkets within easy reach and the trolley which i used daily to get to my sons house,
The rooms in this hotel have a mini fridge, decent bathroom with shower and bath great vanity space and comfy chairs to relax in as you take in the view. There is a desk for personal use if needed, and useful if you are using the hotel for business reasons.
The bar and restaurant were friendly too but as I ate out I couldn't comment on the food. What I saw looked good and plenty ate there. There is also a breakfast diner just up the road.
The little gem of this hotel has to be the pool and hot jaquzzi something I used daily. There is also a gym and laundry room which I also made good use of both.
The weather was gorgeous
I would definitely use this hotel again :)

Room Tip: The rooms higher up are the quietest but I was never bothered during my stay, I slept well.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The hotel was very nice and clean upon arrival. I went for San Diego Comic Con and even with all the madness the employees were always helpful. They even let us check in early to give us a parking pass so we wouldn't have to deal with comic-con craziness.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Jupiter, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

This is one of these full service hotels that have a "central chiller" air conditioning system. The fan in the wall just blows past pipes full of water that flows throughout the hotel into the cooling/heating system in the basement where the temp is decided. If you like to sleep cold at night, don't stay here in the summer.
Otherwise, the hotel is clean and updated.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to Hilton San Diego Mission Valley? Share your experiences!