“Quiet room, nice staff, excellent stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X Points Package!
Ranked #14 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles
“Quiet room, nice staff, excellent stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Terrific option for a stay in the San Diego area. Location is 15 minutes from SD attractions (Balboa Park, Zoo, SeaWorld) and just as close to North County (beaches, Del Mar). And then after a day in the crowds and sun, you get to come back to this home base, a peaceful remove (but really just a couple of blocks) from the freeway. Room felt recently redone; bed was comfy; room was very spacious. Staff was extremely friendly, welcoming, and professional and hunted down extra amenities as needed. We're in the area at least once a year and will definitely be back. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a room at the end of the hall (far from the elevators) without an adjoini...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Parris P, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Archinerds,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us, it truly is appreciated. I'm ecstatic to see that you enjoyed our quiet location while still being able to enjoy all the San Diego attractions. I'm also very pleased to see that you were satisfied with the room and staff during your stay. We look forward to seeing you again next year, should you have any comments, questions, or suggestions before then, please feel free to contact me personally.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
sacramento, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I stayed here during Comic Con. I chose this place because it was central to the Con, Zoo, La Jolla, Wild Animal Park, and Legoland. It is a bit inconvenient due to distance to stay here if your main focus is the zoo, Gaslamp, or the Con. At the same time the hotel is quieter because it's away from the crowds. Parking is free and easy and they offer free WiFi. The hotel is on the small end. There are only 3-4 floors. However, I found this a plus because I never felt the hotel was crowded even though the hotel was booked. We had a room next to the elevator even though I specifically requested not to be near the elevator both online and by phone. Luckily the noise wasn't an issue. We had a leak in the ceiling in the bathroom that got our stuff on the bathroom counter wet. The staff fixed and cleaned up the problem before we came back to our room from Comic Con. The beds were fine. The room was small with two queens but was adequate for a family of 4. We were just there to sleep anyway. The weight room was small but adequate with a few treadmills. It only had one bench though and free weights only went up to 30 lbs. I did not eat breakfast there but the eating area is quaint and clean. The staff is what made this place stand out. The night time front desk manager, I think his name was Alex, was a big help. He was very courteous and made check in fast and easy at 11pm. He even called a cab for me at 3am so we could get to the Con early. Paaris, the day time front desk manager, was also friendly and helped correct my bill. The hotel charged me at a higher rate than what was quoted through the online reservation. Every staff member I encountered was friendly and helpful. A staff member pushed the elevator button for us before we got there in the lobby even though he wasn't using the elevator. He saw us carrying a lot of stuff we got from the Con and tried to make our lives easier. Although I was not eating breakfast, I happened to be standing near the area and an employee approached me and explained to me the menu and buffet process just in case. He then asked the reason for our stay and struck up a conversation about Comic Con. To summarize, we were given a room near the elevator even though we requested specifically not to have such a room. We had a leak in the bathroom ceiling. We were overcharged for our stay. Yet with all of these problems, I would still stay here again. It's a basic hotel with adequate rooms, but the staff makes this place stand out. Thanks for everything!!! The bigwigs for this hotel should recognize the staff for their A+ attitude.

Dear Brad S,

I apologize if this is redundant from the email I sent before, but thank you very much for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Once again I apologize for the inconvenience you initially faced, and I appreciate your patience in letting us resolve the issues. Should you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me personally.

Lisbon, Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

This hotel is clean and modern with free parking. The entrance is nice and simple, and they usually offer coffee with muffins or cookies in the lobby. Our room was simple and tidy and had free wi-fi.

The main problem we experienced was that a private swim instructor was giving swim lessons in the hotel's pool. The pool is tiny so the instructor was essentially using the whole pool. Also a line of about 3-4 children were waiting for their lesson time. I am not even sure how this is allowed. We waited for about an hour and the lessons never ended. We finally told the person at the front desk about it and he said that the instructor is there all day and would tell the manager about the issue. He offered the idea of us using the next-door "sister" hotel's pool. This seemed very strange to us but we went ahead and walked to their pool only to find that it was locked. I find this extremely unprofessional and still don't understand how a person that is not a paying guest could just use the hotel's pool for hours on end.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Jenny P,

Allow me to first thank you for taking the extra time and providing us with a review. I can not apologize enough for the inconvenience you faced with our pool. We have indeed spoken with our General Manager regarding the issue and assure you that there will no longer be swim lessons held in our facilities. I sincerely apologize for the issue and am sorry that we were not able to offer a better alternative than our sister property. That being said, I'm very pleased to see that you found the hotel clean and the stay enjoyable otherwise. Should you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me personally.

Minneapolis, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Front desk was extremely helpful. Daughter unfortunately became sick on vacation. Hotel staff went out of their way to make her comfortable and clean room. Breakfast staff was great. They greeted us every morning, were very helpful at breakfast bar, and got us on our way quickly so we could enjoy our vacation. Room were clean, room service was great, and front was very helpful. Enjoyed the stay.

Dear Michael K,

Thank you very much for the review and kind words towards our staff. I'm absolutely delighted to see that we were able to assist you in your vacation while your daughter was sick and that you were able to make the best of your time while in San Diego. I'm also very pleased to see you enjoyed our breakfast staff and that your room was clean and comfortable. Should you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me personally.

Westfield, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

This hotel is convenient to many areas of San Diego and is a great option. We stayed for 2 nights while visiting Cabrillo National Monument and Sea World and enjoyed the service and comfort at this hotel.

Dear Richard W,

Thank you very much for the review. I'm happy to see your found our hotel convenience, and that you enjoyed the service and comfort. I truly hope you enjoyed the two night stay and that you will choose to stay with us again in the future. Should you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me personally.

Litchfield Park, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Hotel room was clean. On site restaurant was exceptional but pricey. Hotel staff was approachable and helpful. This hotel is not within walking distance of anything. So be prepared to drive everywhere.

Dear Terry L,

Thank you greatly for taking the time to review your stay with us. I'm happy to see that you found the hotel clean, and that you were able to join us in our Bistro 39. Thank you also for the kind words regarding the hotel staff. We hope that you will continue to stay with us in the future and should you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me personally.

NW Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I am a frequent business traveller who has books about 30 nights a year in Hilton Garden Inn properties. This has been one of the best I have stayed at in a while. It was extremely clean and well tended to. The management and staff were very friendly. The only downside is that the pool is pretty small. It is a good distance from most major attractions in San Diego (Zoo, Sea World, etc.) but I knew that ahead of time. Overall, I would highly recommend staying here to anyone in the San Diego area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear TankDagger,

Thank you for letting us be your 25th review on TripAdvisor. It's always a pleasure to hear from guests such as yourself that spend months each year in our hotels. I'm very excited to see that you enjoyed almost every facet of your stay. We sincerely appreciate the recommendations and hope you see you in the future as well. Should you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me personally.

Front Office Manager

Been to Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar? Share your experiences!