“Clean and enjoyable stay with a bit of a drive to area attractions.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar

Hotel deals
Special Offer
2X Points Package!
Ranked #14 of 268 hotels in San Diego
“Clean and enjoyable stay with a bit of a drive to area attractions.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

I am do not have OCD but I do say there there are some benefits and my husband kiddingly calls me Monk at times. Having said that, I am usually very uncomfortable in hotel rooms. But at this place I was ok. CLEAN rooms! Yay! Great, friendly, professional front desk staff. Only odd experience was when our waiter asked us to pay with cash if we could. I meant to ask why but I forgot to. We only ate the breakfast buffet one day. It was plentiful with many options. But the potatoes were not very fresh and the omelet was not very flavorful. Location is a bit far from the downtown San Diego activities and attractions. But the area is nice and seems very safe and peaceful. The pool and jacuzzi are small.

• Stayed April 2013

453 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Eastern NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights on business. Conviently located to the business I was working with. Bed and room were very cozy. Restaurant seemed nice, but i never dined. Would have loved to catch some spa action, but never did.

Room Tip: had a nice room with poolside view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My family stayed at this hotel in mid-April, and we had stayed here before last 4th of July. In both cases we had a great experience with staff service. The 2 Queen bed room was very clean, and we enjoyed both the adjustable firmness on the beds as well as the comfortable Herman Miller chair when using a laptop. With free parking and free wireless/wired internet in the room, it is difficult to match the value. In addition, we were able to get the breakfast package for 2 adults and 2 children under 12 for just ~$12/day extra for all four of us; the hot made-to-order breakfast and the buffet have significantly high food quality compared to most hotels we've been to around the country. Driving down to La Jolla, San Diego Zoo and downtown were all very easy (<25 min) and shortened our return drive up north. Note that this is not the type of hotel with any stores or malls or other attractions within walking distance, so a car is needed. If you are interested in good value between quality rooms, quality service and reasonable price, this is a location worth considering.

Room Tip: Call about the breakfast packages as they are not always shown on their website.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Leadville, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I called the hotel and talked to the manager. I asked for the best rate possible. The rate quoted was different upon arrival. The explanation provided was the rate quoted was for an inferior room. Unacceptable,,,to me. I talked to the manager. He quoted me a rate on a room I had booked. When I got to the hotel I had a cheaper rate, but on a cheaper room. PLUS,, no parking!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin E, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Mr Meissner,

I am very familiar with your reservation and rate inquiries. You spoke directly to our revenue manager who offered you a discounted rate at your request which was honored at the time of your arrival. I personally checked you into your hotel room and upgraded you to a balcony room at no charge per your request. In addition, we awarded you extra Hilton Honors points at check out to ensure your satisfaction. My team and I strive to provide the best guest experience each day and I would hope to have honest reviews of our efforts, however it seems as if you have misrepresented the facts.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I am a frequent stayer at this hotel. It's a great hotel in a nice area. The staff is very warm and friendly. Both the rooms and common areas are nice. There is a very good, reasonably priced restaurant on site which also has a very good happy hour Monday - Friday with great food and drink specials. There is also a great spa onsite that frequently runs specials and a deli as well. My experiences here are also ways good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Entire staff was friendly; just 7 minutes to Del Mar, where we were visiting family (could not find a room in Del Mar this weekend and were very pleased with this hotel and price). So appreciate the cleanliness and comfort. Will be staying here again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Laflin, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Possibly the nicest staff I've ever encountered at a hotel. The hotel room was very clean and nicely appointed. The location is conveniently located if you visit La Jolla or Coronado.

Hotel parking is free. Th Bistro 39 restaurant was vey good. There is also a very good deli attached to the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar? Share your experiences!