“Excellent place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X Points Package!
Ranked #14 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Lewisville, Texas, United States
“Excellent place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel is an excellent place to stay. I arrived there without a reservation, but they had no trouble providing me with a king room for the two nights I needed. I also had breakfast each morning: french toast one day and an omlet the other, and both were cooked to order and excellent. The staff was friendly and even remembered my name. The room was cheap compared to prices I've paid in a central district, downtown areas (San Francisco or New York City, for example) and was generally in better condition. I am definitely impressed with this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Marina del Rey, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

A few years ago, my wife at the time was an event planner for a major Silicon Valley based company. Her job was to meet with top hotels on the continent, assess them and ultimately select properties to host the company's events, usually award banquets or other high profile celebrations. She primarily although not exclusively worked with the Four Seasons and Ritz-Carlton chains. I would meet up with her at many of these properties on Thursday night and stay the weekend during the evaluation process. As a result I got to see and experience the high levels of customer service and accommodations these two chains are generally know to deliver, especially as they competed to secure these types of lucrative corporate contracts.

So what's the point of the paragraph above? The Hilton Garden Inn Del Mar hotel defies logic. You have a mid-range Hilton family hotel in a good area that is reasonably priced yet it delivers consistent levels of service and client experience in line with that of Four Seasons and Ritz. The key word is "consistent". Every time I come back here I try to find fault … something to warrant less than a perfect score. It doesn't happen, hence I give up. A clarification. A perfect hotel experience is not one where problems never occur. If you are a frequent flyer and virtually live at hotels it's unrealistic to expect that and if you do, you are not in tune with reality. Instead, it comes down to how staff handle such situations if they occur as well as the level of day to day service that is delivered.

So what makes this place so special? A few quick points worth reiterating:

1. Staff. The staff does not serve customers here, they engage them. If you want to see what I am talking about, go sit at the bar area and watch. You will witness varying levels of interaction with every guest. I cannot count the number of times I have been at a hotel's lounge or bar area and staff selectively interacts with the regulars and tends to ignore other guests. This frustrates me as a Diamond member if it's a Hilton property as every paying visitor deserves the same level of attention. Here, it is not unusual for a first time visitor to truly feel welcomed. Simple gestures, such as asking what a visitor's name is, then remembering it for the duration of the visit and beyond, even if it is their first time. If management is reading this review, I'm not sure if what I witnessed here is a kind gesture on behalf of staff members or part of policy, but it goes a long way. If it is policy, it is reminiscent of Four Seasons where staff is asked to learn the names of visitors and in my book it's one of the most powerful tools.

Final note on staff. You can tell they enjoy working there or at least are upbeat and are down to earth. They are not afraid of being themselves and portray a human quality that is so lacking at some competing hotels regardless of price level. One woman traveling alone told me the reason she likes to stay here is because she feels at ease interacting with the staff and visitors because it's a safe and welcoming environment.

2. Food. It seems that the executive chef behind the food served at Bistro 39 was given freedom to create the most unique and appealing dishes rather than stick to a bland formula. Whatever the truth is, it works. Some of the most unique and tasty food I have tasted for a bar/restaurant at a hotel. Apparently the locals agree because you frequently see them. As well, the menu changes every few months to keep it on edge. There is also a deli at the side of the hotel near the pool area that serves fresh sandwiches. Very easy to miss. Give it a try.

3. Rooms. Consistently clean and smell fresh. Large windows. Fridge and microwave. Standard HGI setup. One item to note is to be aware that certain rooms may experience elevated noise levels if an event is planned. Would advise visitors to call ahead and verify and if that's the case, ask for a room away from the banquet hall. The walls are definitely not condominium grade but that's the way the property was built.

Note: I consistently give HGI properties a lower grade on sleep quality only because of the beds they use and although there are dials on each side to adjust firmness, I rarely can get truly comfortable. However, this place is quiet during the night and you can open the window to let in some air.

4. Parking. Free. Enough said.

5. Business or leisure. Great hotel for business. For example, I get 4 mbps download and 2 mbps upload on wireless. They also have wired. As good as it gets at Hilton properties. Big desk, comfortable chair and a desk phone in addition to bedside phone. Can't ask for more.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kevin E, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
The team and I truly appeciate your thoughtful words and amazing attention to detail through your review. The fact that we have achieved a "logic defying" level of service to a seasoned traveler such as yourself is the ulitmate compliment for our staff. We truly enjoy having you as our guest and look forward to your next visit!
Gilbert, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

The hotel is beautiful, clean, modern and a great deal. We opted for the breakfast included deal and we are glad we did. Our breakfast was great. I had the eggs Benedict and it was so perfect. We stayed in the accessible room that had a king and we had them bring in a cot for my daughter in a wheel chair, there are no rooms with 2 beds and a roll in shower. Only king size has roll in. The rooms are large enough to make it work. The reason I gave the service a 4 and not a 5 was the service was mixed based on time of day and who was at the desk. In the early morning not so great, but for the rest of the day it had been incredible.

I would totally recommend this hotel to everyone. Great value!

• Stayed March 2013
frisco, tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My family recently stayed here four nights. We really enjoyed our stay, from warm cookies in the afternoon to a wonderful breakfast in the morning. I've stayed at several HGI's, and their breakfast here is one of the best. There were mainly business travelers staying here, but they were very nice to our family. We never ate at the hotel restaurant in the evening, but it always had a good crowd. There is a pool and a hot tub. The pool is heated, but it is still a little chilly when the temp is in the 60's. The room was clean and adequate; the balcony wasn't much to speak of. The beds were comfortable, and it was nice that the AC didn't sound like a jet engine as it does in a lot of hotels. I loved the location, as it was fairly close to everything, but not in a touristy area (no more than 20 minutes to the zoo, Midway museum, Legoland, or La Jolla). I loved Del Mar Beach, and it is less than 10 minutes away. I would definitely recommend as it worked out great for our family.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Carlos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in San Diego while in the area for medical tests at UC San Diego. The hotel was very clean and had a quiet and pleasant environment. The lobby was very inviting. What made the stay even better was from the excellent customer serivce given by Front Desk Supervisor, Andrew Bernard.He went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable and to see that all our needs were met. Mr. Bernard addressed us by name when he saw us, checked in with us to make sure our stay was going well, and he added many other special touches. He has excellent PR skills.The rest of the staff were kind and courteous. Another employee, Marc Francois, was aslo very kind and helpful. I would stay here again and suggest the same for others.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sunnyvale, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn when we visited family and friends over a weekend in Feb. I found the hotel very easy to find, near highway but not on it, so very quiet experience. There is not a lot right near the hotel, some residential and light business buildings. Easy access to highway make it convenient to get to Del Mar or La Jolla.

Room was very well maintained. Bath well kept. Breakfast is not included in price but we were offered breakfast at a lower rate when checking in, which we took advantage of. Breakfast was good. We got pancakes and an omelet, plus able to go through buffet which has all of the normal muffins, bagels, cereals, fruit, etc.

Would recommend if on business or short stay to visit area and of course have a car.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Leawood, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have stayed in a number hotels in this area during business trips and I must say that HGI is not only the best hotel in the area (that I've visited) but the best HGI I've stayed in.
First off, I had to cancel a part of my trip with very short notice due to couple factors out of my control (Weather & Sickness), the Manager accepted my request and gave a full refund even though I cancelled outside the regular 24-hour window. Big thanks for that!
When I did arrive with my colleagues, there was a friendly smile at the desk along with a selection of cookies. After getting to my room they called up to make sure everything was "as expected'. Yes, thank you. The room was clean comfortable.
Breakfast, while not included with the room rate, was very good and reasonably priced. The staff was friendly and accommodating to the group. One more we wanted to get a quick bite before heading out for a hike at Torrey Pines, then come back for 'the rest' of breakfast. The staff was happy to accommodate our request.
I have shared with my company that I believe this is a great hotel, and should continue to be referred to visiting employees.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kevin E, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Justin,

It is quite the compliment to be your #1 choice in hotels in San Diego and for all Hilton Garden Inn properties. This means a great deal coming from a guest with over 50 reviews, and I am thrilled that you were delivered the true "wow" service that we enjoy providing. I look forward to having you back during your next trip to San Diego and truly appreciate your kind and honest recommendation.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar? Share your experiences!