“Ticked all the boxes” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 270 hotels in San Diego
Perth
“Ticked all the boxes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We stayed at the HGI for four nights on a recent vacation to San Diego, although you are a good 20 minutes away from down town it is an easy drive to most attactions. We enjoyed driving across to La Jolla Cove in the evening to watch the sunset. We had a bed and breakfast package
which gave us coupons for every morning and we enjoyed the buffet, our children enjoyed the choices from the 'kids corner'. The rooms didn't have an in-room safe which was a surprise, we ended up leaving valuables in a safety deposit box at the front desk - based on the difficulties the staff had accessing this facility it is apparently not used very often. When my wife closed out the box on the day of departure we had the somewhat comical experience of being asked to complete an application form to use the box, so we could sign the same form to recover our contents and hand back the key! Nonetheless staff were always very pleasent and helpful particulalrly the breakfast servers who were always keen to provide advice for our day ahead. Great spot, true to all the positive reviews. Clearly they work hard to deliver value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kevin E, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with valued feedback. I would like to apologize for any type of delay with usage of our safety deposit box; however I am happy to hear that it worked out for your needs. We are pleased that you enjoyed our location, service, and overall stay. We look forward to having you as our guest for your next trip to San Diego!

393 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Talk about above and beyond customer service!

When Fedex failed to deliver the materials for my presentation to a nearby firm, the staff bailed me out by printing out the gazillion color copies I needed. So grateful. Presentation went off without a hitch.

I had been accustomed to staying at the Torreyana Road Hilton when I visit my client here but they were full so I ended up at HGI, and found this to be the better experience, even if I did have to drive five more minutes in the morning. Clean rooms and hallways, decent breakfast (not included), more lunch options (at better prices), easier to use business center, and the bed was amazing. I did have a little noise problem in Rm 303 - or maybe the guy in 305 was hard of hearing and needed the TV extra loud.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kevin E, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
We are very happy that you thoroughly enjoyed your recent stay with us. Feedback from our guests is extremely valued and we truly do appreciate your kind words. I am thrilled that we were able to get all of your copy needs taken care of for your early morning presentation. We look forward to having you as our guest during your next trip to San Diego!
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had an awesome experience at this Hilton Garden Inn. Check-in was nice and friendly and our room was ready even though we arrived RIGHT at 3pm. I would say it's not worth the upgrade to a king room with a balcony as our looked out onto nothing (concrete walls), but you could get some fresh air I guess. We went to the beach area for a walk/run with their instructions and brought Thai food back for dinner. We had a call as we walked in the room with food asking if everything was satisfactory, and when we requested a bottle opener, we had glasses and the opener brought promptly! Top-notch and prompt service, room was clean and large, good stay. We drove down to the San Diego airport the next morning and had dropped the rental car and gotten through security within an hour, very good option for staying outside the downtown area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kevin E, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
We truly appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback of your recent stay with us. I am thrilled to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and had an "awesome experience with prompt service". I would encourage you to visit our property again during your next trip to San Diego.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

This is a fairly new run of the mill HGI. Its located just off the highway about 15 minutes north of San Diego and very convenient. The rooms and overall facility were in good shape and the front desk staff was very friendly. I was a bit surprised that breakfast was not included in the rate as most HGIs I've stayed at have included breakfast. I thought this was a standard thing for all HGIs but I guess it must vary by location. Overall I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you very much for your recent review of our Hotel. I apologize if you were given the impression that breakfast was included. I would encourage you to try our bed & breakfast package during your next stay with us, which discounts the breakfast drastically. We are very pleased that you enjoyed the convenience, location, and overall friendliness of our staff. We look forward to having you back as our guest the next time you are in San Diego.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

This hotel is almost 20 miles north of Downtown San Diego. It is in a very quiet neighborhood, right across from Torey Pines apartment complex. If you are looking for a hotel close to city center of San Diego then this is not your hotel. This hotel is closer to La Jolla area.

It looks fairly new. Clean and parking is free. Internet is also free and pretty fast connection. The bed is a little on the soft side, perhaps it's firm enough for some people. Good shower pressure. Nothing extraordinary about this hotel.

Because of its location, this hotel will be perfect for those that really want to get away, far from the crowds.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kevin E, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
I appreciate your recent review of our property. I understand that you had a particular preference for a firm bed. I apologize that our Garden Sleep System beds were not explained to you at check in, as these are fully adjustable mattresses to set to your individual preference. The next time you are in town please visit us again. We truly do appreciate your comments.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

This is a very well run hotel. I'm a diamond Hilton member and out of the numerous properties I stay at throughout the year, I always enjoy coming back here.

I mention Four Seasons not very lightly because the service is excellent without being overbearing or lacking - it's just right. The staff is always friendly and if you are travelling solo, go sit by the bar for some excellent food and conversation. Met some interesting people there, including a hunter, an air force pilot and even locals that stop by for the quality of food.

Aside from higher than average food quality inside the hotel, there is also a sandwich shop towards the back of the property, which I missed on my first visit. The hours are limited, but they serve Boar's Head meats and you can order a custom sandwich.

The hotel itself is very well maintained and quiet. Parking is free unlike other hotels just two exits away. I have not tried the other Hilton property across the parking lot, but sounds it would be a good alternative if you are traveling with a larger group or family.

Room Tip: They offer rooms with balconies as well as the regular ones. Laundry is on the second floor. I put s...