“Best Hotel I've Stayed at for a Long Time!” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3939 Ocean Bluff Ave, San Diego, CA 92130   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #15 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Best Hotel I've Stayed at for a Long Time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

Rarely do I feel the need to even write a review - never mind such a glowing one and never mind before I've even checked out!

Staff here are amazing, so friendly and helpful and although it is a sizeable hotel, they know who you are and remember your room number.

Rooms lovely, restaurant fantastic and facilities really nice. I could not recommend this hotel highly enough if you are staying in the Del Mar / La Jolla area of San Diego, for business or pleasure. It was fantastic from start to finish.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Fair Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

This is a great place to stay. We came here for three days to take in the Wild Animal Park (25 minutes away) and Sea World (15 minutes away). All staff are very knowledgable, friendly and helpful. Very clean hotel and room. The manager was willing to exchange several emails before we booked the room. Thier willingness to answer all of our questions was one of the reasons we booked here. The only negatives I have is that the adjustable bed was too firm even at the softest setting (I like softer) and there is no ice machine on the third floor. Neither of these are showstoppers. Breakfast is a help-yourself bar and a menu where you can get a fresh, hot meal. The made-to-order breakfast has generous portions and are quickly prepared. The breakfast here is far better than any Denny's or Ihop around. Fresh, free, cookies at the check-in desk every afternoon while they last. Our daughter loved that part.

Room Tip: Ice machines are on the second and forth floors. Not the third floor.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Cypress, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We went to HGI Del Mar for a family vacation. We elected to upgrade to the Bed and Breakfast for an additional $6. It was a really great idea as we were able to have a full breakfast before launching on for our days of adventure. I love to stay at HGI. It is great that these hotels have figured out that the reason I am staying at a hotel is that I want a good bed and a good shower. The HGI Del Mar provided both. The staff was pleasant and courteous and the nightly cookie that HGI provides is just a nice welcome home touch.

Room Tip: I just bet all the rooms are good.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

I have rated this "excellent." Keep in mind that it is what it is: This is not the Ritz. But it is wonderful for its level of hotel. Stayed for 6 days with 2 teenagers while visiting relatives in Del Mar. Clean, well-maintained accommodations; very pleasant staff. Our room with 2 queen beds was relatively spacious. We were there when there was a scheduled blackout at night (electric company-planned), for which the management held an evening party with free drinks and snacks, and for which they provided flashlights. There are cookies at front desk every night. The room had microwave and refrigerator with counter, and a large-ish desk, which enabled us to buy supplies and make our own delicious breakfasts every morning (breakfast not being included in the room price). There is room service provided by Bistro 39, the hotel restaurant, which we did not use for any meals, so I cannot rate the food. One of our relatives has used the Serenity Spa at the hotel and liked it, but we didn't use it, so again, I cannot rate it. The pool is heated, a big plus in the winter in San Diego. I prefer booking at this level of hotel, if the place is clean and well-maintained, rather than at a more expensive one, because the rooms are basically the same; and Hilton Garden Inn, like many hotels of its level, provides free wi-fi. Hotel is a 5 minute drive south of the bigger hotels (such as Marriott, Doubletree), and I would recommend this to anyone staying in the Del Mar area. In fact, we were once at the Marriott, and I vowed never to go back there: Wi-fi extra, cold pool, and for the amenities that we use, over-priced relative to the Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Quebec
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

As many other reviews mention I can also confirm the quality of the rooms (excellent) and overall appearance of the hotel (very well maintained) and this is certainly seems the result of being privately owned by hard working and hands on proprietors. What is most out of the ordinary though (for this type of hotel) is the quality and variety of the food served in Bistro 39 including the excellent a la carte breakfast which added only $6.00 to our overnight stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

We planned a celebration of life for 50 people at the Hilton Garden Inn Del Mar. Everything exceeded our expectations. The room was set up beautifully. We had a luncheon and the food was hot and excellent. The LCD player, sound system, podium, and microphone were all properly set up and worked great. The catering administrator I worked with (Diane Phan) listened carefully to make sure that everything went smoothly. All the details were planned out and taken care of so that we could focus on the day's events. The staff were all attentive, but not intrusive. The feedback from our guests was all positive. I highly recommend this facility. We were very happy!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Kevin Flahaut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

I booked this hotel based on the strength of the reviews and I was not at all disappointed. The accommodations were very comfortable and the staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. I especially wanted to commend the young lady Daniela at the front desk for going out of the way to get me into just the right room.

The hotel is a bit off the beaten path in a very nice residential area. It's still just a short drive up the highway to just about anywhere you'd like to go so it wasn't a problem. I personally enjoyed the quiet atmosphere the location provided.

The restaurant was pretty good as well. The didn't have a huge menu, but what I tried was very good. I'd happily recommend the "grown up grilled cheese" with the side salad if you decide to visit the bistro.

This was also one of the few hotel "gyms" that I've visited that actually have working equipment. Beyond that, the gym actually has very nice, updated cardio equipment with a small assortment of medicine balls and dumbbells for resistance training. The gym is accessible 24 hours so it was easy to find a time to get a workout in.

Overall my week-long stay was very pleasant and when I return to San Diego you can bet this hotel will be on my list of places to stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar? Share your experiences!