“good atmosphere & vibe” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   416 University Ave, Suite 201, San Diego, CA 92103   |
Zurich, Switzerland
“good atmosphere & vibe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

to be honest first I was a little bit scared cuz Imma straight guy and this hostel is in the heart of the gay scene in Diego.
I was there for 5 nights and it was a very nice experience.
the rooms are very nice and new, beds are comftable, every bed has an electro plug-in and a locker. There are 3 shower with fluent warm water, but the best is the staff. there are two cool guys (straight) called Byron & Rene. They look both like securities but they are working there. Byron works in the day and helped us with every problem that we had. He treaded us like a big brother a very kind guy. Rene works in the night and knows everytime a good place to enjoy the night. He speaks perfect english and spanish.
I defenitly recommend this hostel because I had a great time with great people.

• Stayed August 2014

Families
Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

I stayed 5 nights in this hostel and it was very good. the hostel is new and the beds in the dorm are good too. the best part was the staff. they helped me with everything I needed very friendly. I just met the owner once but the other time bryon was awesome. he gave me a lot of informations which places I can meet outside and helped a lot to make a nice ambiente in the hostel. also the nightguard rene was really nice and friendly. For me were the people who work there a big reason why my stay was so nice in hostel habibi

• Stayed August 2014
Medford, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Stayed here during the end of July and it was a very pleasant experience! It's definitely a new hostel, as there seems to be plenty of work to be done in terms of decorating, but I enjoyed my stay thoroughly.

Rooms: My friend and I stayed in the Bonnie and Clyde room, which is a room with a single bunk bed. The mattresses were surprisingly comfortable as were the pillows, there was plenty of room for us. All of the rooms have huge windows (probably left over from whatever it was before) but you can alway draw the privacy curtains closed. There is air conditioning during the day and it actually gets quite chilly when they run it but they shut it down at night and my friend had to re-locate to the floor because the top bunk got very, very hot. I was fine on the bottom bunk. The room had a nice chair for us to sit in, and plenty of outlets for us to use.

Other parts of the hostel: The hostel comes with three shower stalls right next to each other. They're not separate rooms, the whole bathroom section leads right to the kitchen and the whole space is open. The shower stalls were fine, they each have their own curtain. The toilet was a bit weird as there are two bathrooms, one with a door and one right next to the showers with a sliding door. My only complaint about the place would be that the sliding door bathroom is kind of awkward as there's a giant gap through which you can see people. Usually I used the bathroom with a door.

The kitchen was nice, a little small, but it had what we needed. Pots and pans were limited so don't expect multiple people to be cooking at once. Luckily the Hostel's not too big, so it won't be crazy crowded.

The people who work there are FANTASTIC. Vaughn, the owner, was the best part of the whole hostel. He's so friendly, and so personable he seems to get along with everyone. He even drives you around (for a fee) in a limo! That made my friend and I feel like big shots.

Location was fantastic. It's right in the middle of all the Hillcrest action, so night life was not a problem and it's only an hour bus ride from Mission Beach.

Overall we'll be coming back next year for sure.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

This place is is awesome! It's certainly not your traditional hostel, its very stylish. Something cool to see especially in an area like San Diego. I stayed for 1 night, the service was delightful. Attentive to any questions or concerns I had and gave me great info on the area. Plus it's in a vibrant area so even if you just walk outside you're bound to have an exciting night. And it was clean, which i can say is one of the biggest downfalls of other hostels I've stayed in. Like I said before, Awesome.

• Stayed July 2014

Been to Hostel Habibi? Share your experiences!